LB7: Turbo upgrade? Without going broke!

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
is there anyway to do a compressor wheel upgrade using the same turbo ? i know may not be to much diff but for sure alot cheaper just a though

There was talk of upgraded wheels on another board. Wasn't one I frequent so I don't recall which.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
is there anyway to do a compressor wheel upgrade using the same turbo ? i know may not be to much diff but for sure alot cheaper just a though

Post #14 in this thread. You can get a few needed intake parts from www.intakehoses.com . This will complete the install minus the MAF sensor mount and filter.

Or are you talking about a stock turbo?

Last edited:

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
Here's a suggestion Justin. A PPE set up for a GT42 turbo w/no turbo. Then get a S464 from Airwerks with a .90A/R T4 exhaust (should have the 83/74 turbo side). The intake is easy to fab and you can probably use most of you existing parts for the intake. This turbo will be up gradeable to a 70mm, 72mm, 75mm, 80mm+ if needed in the future. It will run with a HTT turboed truck with this set up. Just a suggestion though. You wouldn't regret it. You can get into this for around $2200 straight up or even less with a few connections.

Sounds like this will be my plan of attack. Thanks for the help.

03-GMC

Let there be light!!
Mar 26, 2009
SLC, Utah
Last I heard it was 2k for both sides being upgraded ? Seemed high to me ......

I know there was someone on the DF that was making new comp wheels for the LB7 turbo and i believe it was $150 plus shipping. Supposed to make it spool faster and run more boost.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I know there was someone on the DF that was making new comp wheels for the LB7 turbo and i believe it was $150 plus shipping. Supposed to make it spool faster and run more boost.

Yeah thats the same thread , like i said for both sides being upgraded and getting housings machined i heard 2k , could be wrong . For me to ever stick with the IHI it would have to be around 1k and offer substantial air flow gains . Usually a increase in compressor wheel size without a change in the tubine will increase "lag" due to more compressor wheel to turn without any aditional " turbine power " , i am no expert though .

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
i tried to find the thread on DF but the search over there sucks big time compared to the one over here...

the guy you wanna talk to about the wheel in question is SN "Timespentsearching" but his first name is Freddy...over on DF

but i did find out its a 64.5 mm compressor hes working on/selling...not sure about turbine side

Last edited:

03-GMC

Let there be light!!
Mar 26, 2009
SLC, Utah
i tried to find the thread on DF but the search over there sucks big time compared to the one over here...

the guy you wanna talk to about the wheel in question is SN "Timespentsearching" but his first name is Freddy...over on DF

but i did find out its a 64.5 mm compressor hes working on/selling...not sure about turbine side

Yeah i remember his 64.5mm modded turbo he was working on said it was going to be $1500 then maybe $2000.
Here is his other comp wheel upgrade
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/turbos-stock-aftermarket/29879-lb7-compressor-wheel-upgrade-any-interest.html

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I MIGHT be able to get a GT4202 turbo pretty reasonable, what parts will I need to buy to make it work on my truck (pedestal, oil drain tube and feed tube, will the stock up pipes work? down pipe? and air intake? ) would it be worth it? What kind of HP am I looking at with this setup? Sorry for all the questions I'm all about being cheap these days!!:eek:

JShe8918

Feb 17, 2009
The turbo wouldn't be your limiting factor in your case. Fueling would be the restriction. I was reading up on them and have found most trucks with a modded cp3 w/o injectors can make around 575-625. Throw in some injectors or dual pumps and it is a whole different ball game.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
#1. Trent is right on the money. When you go to a bigger compressor wheel with out addressing the turbo side (and most the time even with this), it will take more energy to suck this larger amount of air the wheel is now capable of. This WILL slow down spool time.

Justin. You will still need a PPE GT42 Ped kit (cheapest way to go right now) and you can make the intake for about $100-$200 depending on a few things. If you use the 4" intakes available for it, it will take you to about 2700+rpm to spool it. With a 5" you can lower it to 2400-2500 rpm. You may be a perfect candidate for some thing I'm working on though in this area to get such a charger to spool faster and harder earlier on a single CP3. To do this we would need to talk though on every thing you would need.

I also run around without the belt on the second CP3 most the time (squeaking made me do it). My charger when run as a single spools about the same and I can pull almost 50psi with it. I am running a LBZ with a moded LB7 reg though. This power with a single pump has a good chance of doing damage to the longevity of the motor. It still runs hard with the single pump (light switch at 2500rpm), just not as hard as it does with the duals. The program would have to be conservative with this charger on a stocker and the only useable rpm would be up high. This is why I recommended some thing smaller. This means you will have to run it (GT42) higher to get the cooling effects to the EGTs. The lower you run it the higher the EGTs can be under any type of load because it's not in it's MAP range (unless my idea works which is still untested at this point).

On another though, you could also twin this to your stocker. Just need to fab some stuff.

Last edited:

slowski03

Jul 10, 2009
I was wondering if there was any update on this or any pics of the install. I am thinking about buying a ppe 42 install kit and a s400 class turbo. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thabks