Turbo help

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
There is a gasket at the front of the egr manifold as well. To ck for a leak, fire it up after the engine has cooled, climb on the engine, take care not to get anything tangled in the fan. Reach back around the riser/egr with your bare hand, if it's leaking you will feel it blowing on your hand.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
There is a gasket at the front of the egr manifold as well. To ck for a leak, fire it up after the engine has cooled, climb on the engine, take care not to get anything tangled in the fan. Reach back around the riser/egr with your bare hand, if it's leaking you will feel it blowing on your hand.

Awesome, I will definitely give this a go. I am just hoping it is something ridiculously simple and wont cost me a crap-ton of money to fix.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You're talking about the riser bolts where the EGR cooler meets the blocker plate I have installed? If so, FML. How many gaskets are on the EGR manifold?

Im referring to the connection between the up pipe riser and egr cooler where you installed the blocker plate. Id bet the tech f***ed up and put the gasket on the wrong side. Look at it first, it it looks right retorque nuts...

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
It should be egr riser, gasket, blocker plate, egr cooler. There is also gaskets under the intake where it sits on the egr motor

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Im referring to the connection between the up pipe riser and egr cooler where you installed the blocker plate. Id bet the tech f***ed up and put the gasket on the wrong side. Look at it first, it it looks right retorque nuts...

I'll check it out first thing in the morning. Thank yall the input:thumb:

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Just making sure. The uppipe has threaded studs that thread through the EGR cooler and have a nut on the uppipe side, correct? It's not supposed to be a bolt with a fixed 12mm head?

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
For what it's worth the noise you're explaining sounds like what I experienced. It's at the rear of the egr cooler at the up pipe like these guys are saying. Gasket back there an two bolts. This was also on a 2008 lmm I didn't get it positioned isn't at first. Pretty easy to take back apart if that's the case. I may have a pic when I did it.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
For what it's worth the noise you're explaining sounds like what I experienced. It's at the rear of the egr cooler at the up pipe like these guys are saying. Gasket back there an two bolts. This was also on a 2008 lmm I didn't get it positioned isn't at first. Pretty easy to take back apart if that's the case. I may have a pic when I did it.
Thanks for the reply, I double checked blocker plate at the riser and I readjusted it and torqued it down as tight as I could, but the noise is still very prevalent/just as loud. I attempted to locate any leaks along EGR manifold, boost tubes, etc...Couldn't find a dang thing. Is it possible that the technician ran my truck with no oil pressure to turbo and fried the bearings with Tech 2 or before I was able to re tune??? I dont know, just speculating how I walk in there with a decent turbo and get it back with it screeching. I still get some decent boost, but shifting from 3rd to 4th my PSI drops sharply ( i get it drops normally between shifts) under constant throttle and it isn't feeling healthy, like it used to.:(

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
You might not be able to see it easily, especially if its EGR related. Mine was leaking PCV gunk all over the engine bay so I decided to rip it out.

The sounds you describe definitely sound in relation to the EGR area. You can get your turbo rebuilt if needed for short money, like $400. I have a write up on turbo removal i'll look for

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
You might not be able to see it easily, especially if its EGR related. Mine was leaking PCV gunk all over the engine bay so I decided to rip it out.

The sounds you describe definitely sound in relation to the EGR area. You can get your turbo rebuilt if needed for short money, like $400. I have a write up on turbo removal i'll look for
I wish I could do a delete. I am gonna take off the EGR and check to make sure everything is lined up when I get the new turbo in. Anyone ever have an issue with the Y bridge or could that even possibly be an issue as well?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Did you check the bellows on the up pipes? Sure seems like that's your problem. Pull your intake and turbo mouthpiece and check the turbo...should have very minimal up and down/side to side play and no in and out

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Did you check the bellows on the up pipes? Sure seems like that's your problem. Pull your intake and turbo mouthpiece and check the turbo...should have very minimal up and down/side to side play and no in and out

I have a feeling you and the others are correct with the bellow being cracked on the uppipe. I feel stupid for not addressing it earlier when it was first mentioned, but I am limited on time for the next couple weeks. I am going to order a new factory style uppipe and will put it on when I get the new turbo in. I do have more play in my turbo than I feel is appropriate, so the turbo install will still happen, regardless of whether it is the main issue or not. I am going to get my stocker rebuilt and have a spare:thumb:

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So I am going to have a local shop cut the egr riser off and weld it due to boost leak. Is there any issue with using the blocker plate and egr gasket against the egr cooler?