Turbo help

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So after my fiasco and being stupid paying a dealership $4,000.00 to replace my CP3 pump and high pressure line, I now supposedly have a bad turbo. I didn't have the issue with the screeching whine until after I picked it up. The service manager basically told me it's not on them. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Really hard to say if it's bad without actually being there. Why do you think it's bad?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So, from talking to an avid sled puller, he said that some movement of the compressor wheel is normal(the dealer told me that there is play in the turbo due to my modifications). I haven't had the time to dig into this issue as I literally just drove the truck home from that dealership. He said that it may be a cracked up pipe or the flex pipe may be cracked?? Especially if it sounds like you're blowing into a blade of grass cupped in your hand, which it kinda does.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So I had a buddy take my truck to a reputable diesel mechanic up here in the north country and he said it is most likely my turbo. He couldnt really see anything wrong with the compressor wheel, but said it is likely the dealer probably dropped something that got sucked through the turbo. Now I'm on the hook for buying a new turbo, a dealership that told me it's my fault that the EGR system was caked and that the damage came from aftermarket performance parts/caked piping, etc... To boot, I am dealing with kidney stones. Needless to say, I am broke and feeling like a turd. If I do a turbo swap, I'd like to go Fleece 63mm or something comparable, since I'm going to be doing it anyway. No real plans to take it twins in the near future just yet. Would it require any tuning modifications if I just place a stock replacement bolt in style Fleece in? I'd really like some input as to what turbos yall have had the best luck with and has quicker spool/etc...Thanks

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Reputable and "most likely the turbo" don't sound right.. If it's a legit good shop he should be able to tell you yes a turbo will fix it. Especially if there is a noise..

What year truck? I can't see on tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Did he check for exhaust leaks? I call bs on the parts and caked piping causing a turbo to go bad. A little side to side is normal but it can't touch the housing and it shouldn't have any in and out

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
It's an 08 LMM. The dealer is the one that FU***D up my truck. He just did a courtesy look and didnt really dig into it. The only things the dealer removed were the EGR cooler, etc to get to the CP3. I had them change out the thermostats while they were there as well. I notice significant power loss especially at WOT. It seems my psi spikes around 24 psi?? Again, I'm trying to troubleshoot this and I'm no Turbo expert by any means. I'm wondering if maybe a fin or something on the compressor wheel got bent?? Would that cause a horrible screech above 1100+ RPM??

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Sounds like an exhaust leak. Probably at the egr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
That'd be my guess as well. When they removed parts to get at the cp3 my guess is they didn't get everything lined up good when the went back together

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
My guess is if it blocked right now that they moved something or that the riser of the up pipe didn't have adequate support and vibrated until it broke/cracked. Personally I'd pull it and cut the riser and weld it shut and reinstall

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Yes, at the uppipe riser...

If I get some time this weekend and I feel up to it, I am gonna dig into this and see if I can nail WTF is going on. I just wanna lose my $h** on the dealer for being such ignorant d-bags and messing my truck up.:mad: First and last time I will go to a chevy dealer for repairs to my truck! Has anyone bought the Rudy's EGR delete kit off ebay? Wonder if their $200 kit is worth it or not.