Trying a callies forged crank

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Well guys i ordered a bunch of stuff for my engine build and i figured id try a new callies forged compstar crank. My build will be what i consider mild compared to most on here. Build includes Mahle race cast pistons, ported lbz heads, wagler af cam, wagler push rods, Ati Damper, shimmed and pinned stock oil pump, BD Flexplate, socal springs with titanium retainers, brian crower rods, callies forged crank, and main studs of course. Fuel will be a single 12mm pump with 100 overs. This is also a lly im swapping into my 2003 lb7. Alot going on but short of a billet Narrow journal crank im hoping it will be a solid platform. Ill post pics of forged crank when it gets here on the 11th.

Last edited:

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Just curious why you chose crowed rods over waglers new forged rods? This is similar to what I'm looking at doing to my LML in a few years, I will def. be keeping an eye on this build.

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Just curious why you chose crowed rods over waglers new forged rods? This is similar to what I'm looking at doing to my LML in a few years, I will def. be keeping an eye on this build.

Well i got a really good deal from henry @ creatures of the night on a engine package with rods and pistons. Wagler rods would have bumped the price up quite a bit and i wanted to have some coin for the callies crank. I was trying to be somewhat money conscious when i was purchasing parts. I didnt know about the wagler as forged rods when i bought the kit so that may be a good option over the bc rods. I havent heard anything bad about the brian crower rods but there are definitely better rods out there.

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Another thing i will say is, i am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the BD flexplate. If anyone is on the fence about purchasing one they are a nice piece. Plus it seems like it would actually flex unlike the billet ones. Maybe that will help relieve some shock load off of the crank. Just a thought

Last edited:

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Can anyone tell me what the BC rods are PROVEN to handle?

I havent heard of an failures with them (Correct me if im wrong). There might be. Manufacturer rates them at 1600hp. I dont think they would rate them at that if they were junk. I think you have a better chance at breaking a new stock crank then breaking aftermarket connecting rods. Of course it all depends on your power level. And im referring to 1000hp and under.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I havent heard of an failures with them (Correct me if im wrong). There might be. Manufacturer rates them at 1600hp. I dont think they would rate them at that if they were junk. I think you have a better chance at breaking a stock crank then breaking aftermarket connecting rods. Of course it all depends on your power level. And im referring to 1000hp and under.

Thank you

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I havent heard of an failures with them (Correct me if im wrong). There might be. Manufacturer rates them at 1600hp. I dont think they would rate them at that if they were junk. I think you have a better chance at breaking a new stock crank then breaking aftermarket connecting rods. Of course it all depends on your power level. And im referring to 1000hp and under.

1600hp at the crank or tires? Wonder what torque they can handle

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I have nothing to add except "good luck on the build". It sounds like you have made a good plan.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
They're not balanced. I just used one in my lml build with a socal lb7/lly/lml flywheel, and an lml ati super damper and the machine shop reported that it balanced out great.

10-4. Was just a little confused cause it is the same part # for all years.