True Twin Hx35's???

I don't think its ever been done before, but what do you guys think about running a true twin turbo system on an LB7 with 2 Hx35 turbos off of a dodge diesel? I'm willing to bet it would spool up pretty quick and it should flow about 115-120lbs/min of air which is comparable to an s475 or s480 I believe. I also think it would be something unique to try and hx35's can be had for as little as $200 now a days. It would even work to use a Wh1c or something around the size of an hx35. What do you guys think?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The old h1c holsets aren't worth bolting on IMO. Its been done, just not on a dmax with those chargers. Plumbing would be a hassle.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
If you have enough room under your hood where you could make some turbo headers, then i would love to see it. Theres a guy out there that did parallel twins with some S256's in the valley, but if you could mount them right on the head it would be great.:D You also could use the HX35's build triples with your stock turbo.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I don't think its ever been done before, but what do you guys think about running a true twin turbo system on an LB7 with 2 Hx35 turbos off of a dodge diesel? I'm willing to bet it would spool up pretty quick and it should flow about 115-120lbs/min of air which is comparable to an s475 or s480 I believe. I also think it would be something unique to try and hx35's can be had for as little as $200 now a days. It would even work to use a Wh1c or something around the size of an hx35. What do you guys think?

I've been running basically the same setup. It won't work with hx35's. Hx35 exhaust housings are too loose to spool as a parallel set on a Dmax. At least on a stockish fuel system. Tightest housing you can get is 12cm IIRC. Unless you go to a tuner car style, BEP 9cm housing. Which makes it not such a cheap option.

I'm running parallel HE351 with 9cm housings now and they start to build boost at 1950ish rpm. They'll spool reasonably well up to 7000ft DA but they flat didn't want to spool in Denver with 8500ft DA. I think a set of HE341's (hy35 just with 3rd gen compressor covers) would be the ticket. They're slightly smaller in compressor/turbine wheels and even though both the 341 and 351 are listed as a 9cm exhaust housing I've been told the 351 is closer to 10cm. A pair of 341's should spool a couple hundred RPM sooner. I'd already have 341's on but one of the turbo's I have is trashed beyond rebuild and it defeats the cheap purpose to drop coin on a fresh one.

I would put the setup in my 1992 D250 so there's plenty of room in the engine bay. My buddy is a really good fabricator and can make a set of turbo headers fairly easily. I'm thinking about getting 2 Hy35's and giving it a go. I wouldn't run an intercooler to save myself a lot of hassle with piping, instead I'd set up a water/meth unit to help cool the air charge.

kjp800

-
Aug 6, 2008
New Jersey
I think Trent did a parallel setup a few years ago, not sure if there is any info on it or not, I couldn't find anything in a search

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
At least do the HE351's. Those bastards and cheap, support a lot of power, and damn near bullet proof.

I plan on running a loose 2500 stall converter, a manual VB, and I won't ever drive it over 5-6000 feet of elavation. I live in the Central Valley which is at about 90 feet of elevation and do 98% of my driving here. The truck will weigh about 5000 pounds when set and done. Should I do it or stay with a big single?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I plan on running a loose 2500 stall converter, a manual VB, and I won't ever drive it over 5-6000 feet of elavation. I live in the Central Valley which is at about 90 feet of elevation and do 98% of my driving here. The truck will weigh about 5000 pounds when set and done. Should I do it or stay with a big single?

honestly i would stick with a single charger. Simple and proven.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
8yrunehe.jpg

Parallel EFR's on a 6.7 powerstroke. I say go for it! I would use He351s..

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
One of these style intercooler made by threadstone would be easier in the long run and wouldn't be hard to make intercooler piping for. Then you will never have to worry about your water meth running out or not working.

Attachments

• th(2).jpg
    th(2).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 20
  • th(1).jpg
    th(1).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 17

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
It's not too complicated of an idea. It would be something different than the normal "big single" or "s475 over stock" builds that we see here.

The idea is not complicated at all. It's the process that is far from simple. Especially when it is compared to the ease of bolting on a pedestal and a turbo lol

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Is there any huge drawback to running it without an intercooler? I would eventually put a water/meth kit on it but I think running true twins would require a lot of complicated intercooler piping.

If you will be driving it around you will want an A2A cooler. Just pulling or racing a W2A is better. Water injection alone works but unless you dont have room (you do) or an intercooler is outlawed, you will not find many people who would say not to run one in any diesel motorsport engine.

It wouldn't be hard to make, just get a big core or two smaller cores (maybe that flows vertically instead of horizontally. Either way basically you are wanting a tank on each side of the truck for each turbo to feed the hot side with at the bottom of the cooler. Then a tank at the top that can collect from both, or two tanks that run into a collector to feed the intake manifold.

If you go W2A, lots of guys just mount them right in the valley, then feed it from each side with your turbos, short pipes.

The issue is that its a Vee motor, finding room for a turbo on each side of the motor is not easy if that is what you want to do. Its easy and doable, theres just a ton of shit in the way. I can't see a significant performance reason to do it, but if you just want to be different I can understand that.

Another option is to mount them lower and forward of the motor. Look up forbidnns quad turbo truck.

Like I said earlier, it's going in a 1992 Dodge D250, I know most of you guys haven't seen under the hood of one but there is quite a bit of room on top of the front fenders and the engine bay is very deep and wide itself. I don't think I'd have any issues doing it if I decide to.