Question: Truck useing oil after build

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Sorry Tommy did not mean to make it sound bad,Rings Might not be seated,When you guys installed the piston did you use motor oil or WD-40 in the bores,We have found it takes longer to seat with oil WD-40 helps them seat faster and less smoking on first start up.

LOL its ok :)I used oil a decent amount. My truck dosent smoke at all out the exaust And runs very strong. i re checked the pcv today and theres a decent amount of air coming out of there with a light smoke and thats where the god awfull smell is coming from. could it really take this long for the rings to seat ? im starting to think the turbo is bad i might be hearing a sound. but it might be in my head. i took off the charge boot and cleaned it completley clean so if it gets full of oil again then i guess i could be pretty shure its the turbo? I just dont want to damage the truck in anyway or be doing harm to it if it was something else? oil in the charge side is also a little scarry dont want the run way motor:baby:

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Are you sure Jason isn't draining a little bit of oil out each day just to mess with you? :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I would pull the lowest intercooler boot and take a look ASAP. If that much oil is "disappearing" and if it's collecting in the intake, you have a potential "runaway" situation.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
checked the intercooler side and theres not ecess of oil tht i can see :confused: so i still dont know if its the turbo or not i guess the only thing i can do is keep driveing it like guy sugested to see if it gets better or worse :(

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
My truck used 3 quarts in the first 800 miles after the build. Low oil light came on, scared the shit out of me.

10 quarts of dino... 50 miles, drained.

10 quarts of dino... 750, oil light.

Refilled it and kept on top of oil changes since. Also, switched to synthetic on the third oil change.

No oil usage since.

Just my story,

Nick

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
mine use little under 2qt in 750-800 miles

i went 180 on all three rings and set the oil scraper 180 inside its self as well

havent used any thing since that was ~2,000 miles ago

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
My truck used 3 quarts in the first 800 miles after the build. Low oil light came on, scared the shit out of me.

10 quarts of dino... 50 miles, drained.

10 quarts of dino... 750, oil light.

Refilled it and kept on top of oil changes since. Also, switched to synthetic on the third oil change.

No oil usage since.

Just my story,

Nick

looks like mine is on track with yours :) Gonna change the oil thise week and see where we stand

bronson

(.)(.)
Apr 3, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
looks like mine is on track with yours :) Gonna change the oil thise week and see where we stand

My truck should be back on the road here fairly soon, i got some oil analysis kits that i can send off to the lab. I just want to see whats going on in there for the first few oil changes. I was thinking of doing a swap after the first couple tanks of fuel, then another around 2000kms later and then after 5000kms. Dino juice for the first 3 (Mobil 1000???). I think it will be interesting to see what comes back.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Update well went another 800 miles and dint use a drop more oil Knock on wood and the smell from the pcv has just about disapeared.. put another 200 miles on it and chaged the oil the other day. it was just starting to get dark looked pretty good still. So i guess the rings where still sealing up is all it was used a total of about 3qts total. have about 2000 miles total on it now was going to go another 2-3000 and switch over to synthetic whts every one think about tht? hopefully now i can get back to the track and see how she does.

bronson

(.)(.)
Apr 3, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
Update well went another 800 miles and dint use a drop more oil Knock on wood and the smell from the pcv has just about disapeared.. put another 200 miles on it and chaged the oil the other day. it was just starting to get dark looked pretty good still. So i guess the rings where still sealing up is all it was used a total of about 3qts total. have about 2000 miles total on it now was going to go another 2-3000 and switch over to synthetic whts every one think about tht? hopefully now i can get back to the track and see how she does.

hows the oil consumption now Tommy? how many miles, did you flip to synthetic yet?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
havent swiched to the synthetic yet probbaly another 2000 miles and i will. so ffard dosent look like its useing any more

bronson

(.)(.)
Apr 3, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
good to know Tommy, this info will ease my paranoia if and when my truck starts drinking oil, when i get home from work next week i guess i'l find out for sure if she's going to be thirsty or not.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
good to know Tommy, this info will ease my paranoia if and when my truck starts drinking oil, when i get home from work next week i guess i'l find out for sure if she's going to be thirsty or not.

yea i was a little worried at first but seems to have worked it self out. the only thing i notice a little more then when it was stock is a stronger smell from the pcv but will solve tht issue soon. good luck with your break in im sure it will go smooth :D

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
OT, whats the run away motor? i remember reading about runaway motors that were older and people would mess with something?pump? and the motor would not shut off and rev up like crazy. this a term for the new motors and how does the oil play a factor? tia