Triples or twins over a 72 VGT?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
my build I will have 8-10 k into mine ill have....
carrillos
.020" mahles 16.5 comp ratio
main studs
60-100 overs
all new gaskets ect
keyed crank & cam
manifolds and up-pipes
screw in cups
rebuilt heads
machine work

I already have billet flexplate, dual pumps, 66/480 billet/bat, head studs and 45% overs that are getting worked over. I wouldn't hesitate to push it to 1k couple times

Head studs? And main studs are arp correct? Would you mind sending me a build list with prices?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Have a good machine shop thats built diesels/turbo motors before build your short block, consult what go fast parts are needed and supply them to machine shop.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
You might get some strong feelings about that shop...

There are a lot of local shops that have experience with diesels and can do a good job. I wouldn't go to one that has never done them before, but you don't need one of the big name shops to do it for you

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
You might get some strong feelings about that shop...

There are a lot of local shops that have experience with diesels and can do a good job. I wouldn't go to one that has never done them before, but you don't need one of the big name shops to do it for you

Agreed, nothing against industrial but you can find good shops a lot cheaper.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yep agreed ill go to the cheapest shop that will do it that has done one before. Anyone know of any good shops in Utah? What shop did Trent use? I'm in the south salt lake area. Near sandy and Riverton, Provo.

Pretty sure Trent used Randy's machine... I think there in Utah somewhere? Trent also used II for a lot of stuff. I stopped in there when I was down visiting family, & was impressed with II & Trent's shop.

Oh and cheap isn't always better... Nothing cheap about a Duramax build of any type. If you want cheap build a LS or small block chevy.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Pretty sure Trent used Randy's machine... I think there in Utah somewhere? Trent also used II for a lot of stuff. I stopped in there when I was down visiting family, & was impressed with II & Trent's shop.

Oh and cheap isn't always better... Nothing cheap about a Duramax build of any type. If you want cheap build a LS or small block chevy.

Not "cheap" but you have to stick to a budget somehow. If a shop quoted $5k and another quoted $3k wouldn't you go to the 3k shop if they had the same quality?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Not "cheap" but you have to stick to a budget somehow. If a shop quoted $5k and another quoted $3k wouldn't you go to the 3k shop if they had the same quality?

How do you know they have the same quality;)? I'm not knocking you for looking for the best deal but unless you have some background with whats happening to your engine, how do you know if your getting the shaft? Sometimes it's best to go with a proven reliable shop for piece of mind. Cheap usually comes with cutting corners somewhere, not always but...

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
My cousin had a lot of grief with his engine from II. Something wrong with the heads or something, and he had to take it back to II. A couple of months later he got the truck back and still is having troubles the last time I talked to him..

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
IMHO there are some small differences between a dmax build and a normal high HP engine build, but it isn't rocket surgery. Any good traditional V8 shop that can do good builds or any shop that can do pull engine builds that has some experience in the dmax can do just fine. Run the mains lose and tq hone everything. Ask them if they know about deliping a piston, if they do and have a good history with high power (gas or diesel) I wouldn't think twice about using them

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
Randy's engine and machine in Richfield is a great shop. He has done some motors for some big name guys in the sport and is local enough to you to easily drive there.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I would personally drive up to Idaho Falls and let Cam at Adrenaline build your motor or take a small road trip to Guys shop.

And make sure you know what you want and what your doing before a build imo. would suck to get it done then be like, shit I wish I did this or did that instead of rushing it.

and also set a goal/limit and stick with it. If you say you want 850 then do that and know you wont go higher. if you build it for 850 then be like damn I want a 900hp dyno sheet, then say well shit a 1000 dyno sheet would be even cooler you will be doing this allll over again quickly lol

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I would personally drive up to Idaho Falls and let Cam at Adrenaline build your motor or take a small road trip to Guys shop.

And make sure you know what you want and what your doing before a build imo. would suck to get it done then be like, shit I wish I did this or did that instead of rushing it.

and also set a goal/limit and stick with it. If you say you want 850 then do that and know you wont go higher. if you build it for 850 then be like damn I want a 900hp dyno sheet, then say well shit a 1000 dyno sheet would be even cooler you will be doing this allll over again quickly lol

Yes that's my problem lol. A few months ago I was saying I'm done after the trans. Then I did a turbo and now injectors FTW

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
If your going to have the shortblock assembled by a shop I would get a price on getting the long block assembled. I'd bet there wouldnt be a big difference and you'd have peace of mind knowing the heads were torqued properly. Also if something unspeakable happens and your engine blows within a month, you may get some help from the builder if he assembled everything. Probably not likely but possible.