Transmission noise problem

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
Sound only occurs while driving or right as the truck shuts down there is a clunk sound at the trans. Move the video up to around 1:14 and the sound is really pronounced. I was at approximately 20mph at the time. TransGo Jr installed 7-8k miles ago and no other transmission work to the truck. Check hubs and they are good. Looked for anything external that would touch and vibrate and can't find anything. Cannot reproduce in neutral except clunk when shutting down. Doesnt happen under acceleration either. Typically after the turbo winds down it will start when coasting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsS5mm6qWDc&feature=youtu.be

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
Yeah, the growling is while running. I dont have a video of the clunk. It only occurs when you shut the engine down.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
So to better understand it is happening while you are costing and if you put into neutral ,while coasting ,the noise goes away?

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
It almost sounds like something is rubbing/vibrating... Exhaust/downpipe, intercooler tubes (especially by the brake booster).

Hard to tell from the video, sounds never convey on recording like you hear them in person though..

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
Feel like a dummy. The exhaust bracket that is located on top of the trans cross member had apparently vibrated enough that the nut had fallen off. That caused the bracket to drop down and hit the cross member. Sound was transferring through the trans. Problem solved with a nut and a pry bar.