Allison 5sp: Transfer Case "Rub Hub Hole"

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
I've been reading some old post about a tiny hole that is rub from the inside causing the transfer case to run dry of fluid if not noticed in time. My Allison is in the shop now, and my transfer case siezed up, and some how cracked the rear bell case on the transmission. The transmission then leaked all the fluid out, burning up all but one set of clutches, all this happened at 85 mph. I found a local guy in Fort Worth with a great reputation, he is doing a stage II rebuild (I don't have a interest in pulling sleds). My question is while he has everything out, what is the fix for the transfercase pump "rub hub" problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
Do a search for "pump rub" and I'll bet you'll find what you're looking for.

I did and I now understand why I'm spending $4300, but I sure makes me mad that GM has known about this problem for more that a couple of years, and left us all hanging out to dry. Thanks for you help!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What stage II rebuild kit are you getting? Who in Ft. Worth is doing it?

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
What stage II rebuild kit are you getting? Who in Ft. Worth is doing it?

CC&J, Jr. not sure the brand of the stange II, he had my tourqe converter rebuilt (now 2 disc, was single disc), working on solving my Pump Rub problem, all parts aren't in yet, has not started to put everything back together.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
CC&J, Jr. not sure the brand of the stange II, he had my tourqe converter rebuilt (now 2 disc, was single disc), working on solving my Pump Rub problem, all parts aren't in yet, has not started to put everything back together.

What the hell? a 2 disc? remember you cannot trust everyone

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There are no two disc converters unless you have a single piston with friction material on each side. Very expensive to fabricate and build.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
If he hasn't torn your trans down I would put everything on hold. Things just dont seem right with this build, unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to give advise. Dont let this clown waste your money!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I can't think of anyone who makes a stage 2 transmission kit. How many Allisons has the guy doing the work built?

Tank01

Dec 31, 2010
I can't think of anyone who makes a stage 2 transmission kit. How many Allisons has the guy doing the work built?

Wow! now I filled with warm and fuzzy's thougts. I don't know crap about this new and very interesting world called Allison Transmissions (and transfer cases). That being said I'll read everything I can get my hands on to try and over come my ignorance about a subject. I found this guy do do the rebuild, he came with high regards from my local mechanic. I explained what I wanted out of a rebuild increased performace, take it to the next level beyond stock. (that became necassary after discovering the pump rub crap!!) Most of the interpretation is my relaying conversations from him to everyone on this forum, (signal disc to two disc, stock upgrades, next level must be a stage II right!, poor discripsction on my part). That being said he has my truck and monies (down payment on parts) He is supposed to be a second generation transmission guy, he works full time in a transmission shop, says he has expierence with Allison's but also rebuilds other brands. Again clueless on this world but I have always considered myself a good judge of character, will keep you posted if I right or wrong about this judgement! Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions. At this point I wished Mike L. was my neighbor !! But with all my questions he would be building a tall fench this weekend I'm sure.....

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I know you said this guy is local. Are you actually in Ft. Worth?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
ATS has a II kit
I guess I should have clarified. I can't think of anyone with a stage 2 kit that would get his transmission and transfer case fixed for $4300. Considering the kit lists for $2800, that only leaves $1500 for parts and labor to repair the busted tail housing and transfer case. I don't see that possible unless the guy charges next to nothing for labor.