Transfer case rear output shaft seal

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
So I had my truck into the dealer yesterday to get the rear output shaft seal replaced for the third time in 39,000 miles (i think it has leaked most of the time) and when I was talking to the service guy they said that they had a redesigned output shaft that is supposed to solve the problem. the tail-shaft looks the same so it must be on the inside. Hopefully this solves the leaking problem. Has anybody else heard about this?

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Mine leaked also, had 3 Rear seals put on, Didnt Solve it.

Told them i read about the Driveshaft yoke not sealing. They checked and found a TSB for it.

Had it replaced and no leaks now;)

BTW the New yoke came with new front and rear U Joints!! What a Bonus!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There might be a fix. This is something we did in the old days. We modified the spring in the seal and it worked. You will need a new seal and instructions from me. You better be good at this.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
When I bought my truck mine started leaking at around 12,000 miles. I crawled underneath and wiped it off and drove it a few miles to see where it was comming from and it came out of the tiny hole in the center of the yoke. Dealer replaced it and found the tsb on it and all has been well since.

Enigma

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone have that TSB #

Brothers 06LBZ has been in 2x for the same thing

Thanks in advance

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
So I took my truck in for the 4th time yesterday and told them to fix it right this time. They did some looking and according to the service ticket the "welch plug" was leaking and so they replaced the yolk that goes into the t-case. looks good so far. too bad it has taken them almost a year to realize it was not only the seal that was causing the problem.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
Correct me if I wrong, but I think i have the same symptoms. In the plastic boot at rear of TCase, there is a pinhole and fluid is leaking from there, nothing drastic but it is wet, and at times it sprays onto underbody.
Is this what you guys are speaking of?
What sucks is I'm way out of warranty and keep finding TSBs. I think GM should fix a TSB whether I'm at 40k miles or 140k. If it's a known problem, I guess it's my bad that they didn't figure it out until after my warranty was up.?

Chevytech122

I need NOS
Jun 2, 2009
Potsdam, NY
There is a TSB #09-04-21-002A for 07-09 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to replace tailshaft seal with updated part #24226707 for transfer case leak.

As for replacement of the slip yoke, i haven't seen a TSB for that besides for a slip/stick clunk noise condition. I would like to see the number of the bulletin or year of the truck that the dealer did that to...

Also, Campaigns (not bulletins) are where GM fixes "known" problems that are safety related. Other than that refer below:

"GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information." - From GM service information -

Last edited:

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
There is a TSB #09-04-21-002A for 07-09 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to replace tailshaft seal with updated part #24226707 for transfer case leak.

As for replacement of the slip yoke, i haven't seen a TSB for that besides for a slip/stick clunk noise condition. I would like to see the number of the bulletin or year of the truck that the dealer did that to...

Also, Campaigns (not bulletins) are where GM fixes "known" problems that are safety related. Other than that refer below:

"GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information." - From GM service information -

I will post the service ticket in the morning.

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
Correct me if I wrong, but I think i have the same symptoms. In the plastic boot at rear of TCase, there is a pinhole and fluid is leaking from there, nothing drastic but it is wet, and at times it sprays onto underbody.
Is this what you guys are speaking of?
What sucks is I'm way out of warranty and keep finding TSBs. I think GM should fix a TSB whether I'm at 40k miles or 140k. If it's a known problem, I guess it's my bad that they didn't figure it out until after my warranty was up.?

the underside of my truck was coated thoroughly, not just a light mist. and my driveway looks like I drive a leaky POS not a 2 year old truck. It seems to be fixed now.

bigriver

Oct 5, 2009
the underside of my truck was coated thoroughly, not just a light mist. and my driveway looks like I drive a leaky POS not a 2 year old truck. It seems to be fixed now.

The rear end, transfer case, etc. has noticeable fluid on it. This will be my second trip to the dealer for transfer case tail shaft leak. Is your last fix still working. Just to make sure what exactly did they replace?

Thanks

Last edited: