Transfer case rear output shaft seal

bigriver

Oct 5, 2009
Still under warranty "2008 GMC CC 4wd" 18k miles and I just want to compare this dealer fix with other dealer fixes with same problem.

Thanks

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I think that's a relatively common replacement item for a leak there... Wanna say the seal is diff. or something to keep it from re-occurring??? Not sure on that though.

Henry (ripmf666) should be able to let you know on the TSB and whatever else GM has to say about that issue and any resolve that's on the books for it. If he doesn't reply to this thread, you might shoot him a PM inquiring about this. ;)

Good luck
C-ya

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
lol, Mine was leaking long ago and was never real bad. The dealer told me about it one day and I asked if they should replace it and they said its leaking because my lift.....

I gave the guy a disturbed look and left, figuring they wont touch my truck again..

Yes same dealer that thought my lift pump was for my non existent air bags :rofl:

maxthis

Jun 14, 2007
Southeastern, Indiana
You can make a modification to the tension spring on the seal to make it tighter.

:thumb: plus a little silicone works like a champ.... fixed mine in the spring...although it has leaked since day one. I though it was an option that chevy put on them as an automatic rust prevention kit?? Boy was I wrong!:rofl:

bigriver

Oct 5, 2009
Mine is leaking enough the rear axle looks wet and you can wipe oil off of the bottom of the transfer case @ 18k miles. Just had it replaced about 500 miles ago and oil leak looks worse now than before. I believed the seal was replaced and thats it. Thats why I am inquiring to see what the dealer is going to do to fix it or what other dealers have done in this situation. So far I have not found a straight forward answer on this issue. A lot of suggestions
which turn out to be repeat fixes.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
For the guys with the new body style trucks 90% of the time the leak comes from the plug in the end of the yoke, everytime the dealer replaces the seal when they ram the yoke in the back of the transfer case I think it makes it worse. On mine I cleaned the yoke off realy good with some break cleaner and just siliconed around the plug on the outside of the yoke. 60,000 miles since I siliconed it no leaks since.