transfer case noise

Fluffycracker

Nov 19, 2013
804 Virginia
i did my pump rub fix last week and put 2 quarts of transynd in after. today I noticed a whine coming from the t case almost like a slight whistle. it only seems to do when the truck at an angle like a small incline and the truck is idling

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Is the little suction tube hooked up real good to the pump :eek: ...did you double check when you were putting it together. That's the only thing I could think of.

Has it done it since you put it back together or all of a sudden started.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Many have had very good luck with 3qts of Mobil1 5w30 motor oil added after drain. Add through the top sensor hole.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Yes but I would like to clarify
- Add 2qts into the t-case fill hole with a hand pump, apply sealant on fill plug and install
- Then removed the speed sensor and add 1 qt through the sensor hole
- Replace oil every 10,000 miles

These were the instructions I got from Mike L. 3 quarts is about right but you want to be sure not to overfill.

Fluffycracker

Nov 19, 2013
804 Virginia
how much if you use transynd? does anyone know? the noise only comes when it is on uneven surface. my driveway is about 35% incline does it there and did it on a little 10% incline when it is level there is no noise that i can hear. so it seems to lead towards no enough but i would like to make sure before i go throwing more fluid in and or if i have to take it back out and dig back into the t case

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
2 quarts of DexIII ATF through the fill plug is factory, or until it comes out the fill hole. i dunno anything about transynd so i cant say weather that is the problem or not

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yes but I would like to clarify
- Add 2qts into the t-case fill hole with a hand pump, apply sealant on fill plug and install
- Then removed the speed sensor and add 1 qt through the sensor hole
- Replace oil every 10,000 miles

These were the instructions I got from Mike L. 3 quarts is about right but you want to be sure not to overfill.

10k miles? :eek: i went 40k, did the pump rub fix and the mobil1 was still clean as the day i put it in so i put it back in :woott: but that's me

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Mike just posted the article from them on DP when he saw it. I had about 65k at the time. Drained a few days later and did 3qts through the sensor. Changed every 75k since and never a problem. Still all stock with no pump rub. Yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
I would pull it out and check it, those cases aren't cheap. Mine has been down for two weeks going on three tracking down all the parts I need for mine.:mad:

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Check the pump rub you installed. Mine was clocked wrong the first time. Luckily I noticed it when putting the case together.

Also check the 4wd actuator and shift fork. Shift forks are known to be an issue.

Blitzen check out Transfer Case Express for parts.

Last edited:

jwang04lly

Sep 16, 2011
Did you ever figure this out? My truck is making a noise like a bad u joint at slow speeds, but sometimes it does it just sitting in drive without moving. It sounds like its coming from my transfer case.