Tough engine

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
So my wife drives up to Walmart and calls me. Hey the low oil pressure light came on at idle. I'm thinking o Shit. It's dumping fuel into the oil causing low oil pressure. Then she calls me 5 minutes later. There's a bunch of steam coming from the hood. So I head up there. The shitty damn design plastic heater core connection snapped off. So I'm thinking it broke 10 miles ago and she got the motor so hot it heated the oil to cause the low oil pressure light. How she didn't notice 5 gallons of coolant spraying out. But yeah. So I bypass the heater core and add 4.5 gallons. And with the hood up for 45 minutes prior to me getting there I still couldn't lean on the cowling. Everything was hot. So far still good. Towed the trailer back for 2 hours. No water in the oil. Runs great. These must be though engines. I'm really thinking it ran for 10 minutes without coolant. Thank god im a believer in the t6 oil.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The LB7s are pretty darn tough. I broke a glow plug off and the last 1" of it went through the #1 cylinder and eventually out the exhaust valve. Beat the piston and head to crap, and the exhaust valve wouldn't seal right. Drove it for 7,000 miles before I pulled it apart to put stronger internals in, and the cylinder walls were perfect. Could've just replaced the head and one piston and been fine.

My brothers old truck had an injector installed without the crush washer, and it ended up under a valve spring (how?!?!). Who knows how long it was like that, long before he bought it. We got new injectors in it, installed them right, and it ran perfect.

You can kill them, of course, but you kind of have to try.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It is fun to try...

The number of bent rod LB7s on this site alone that still ran fine are a prime example. :)

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
I just blew my stock headgaskets at 367k this week with 4 years of changing large turbo setups and running it on a 2000us tune at the track every other weekend. Believe me. Ive tried to kill it, its kinda kard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
When I did headgaskets I somehow got one of the pushrods on the #2 cylinder lodged in a weird way so it bent it and held the valve open slapping the piston. Was ran for probably an hour like that trying to figure out if it was fuel related or what. I have 2 nice calves tramped into my piston now but no cracks and the valves didn't even bend. I got lucky.

TerryRH

Jan 23, 2017
MO
I'm just under 300k on mine, and I told my mech I may want to refresh it. He said "why? That motor will let you know when there is something wrong. Just enjoy it!"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Ran in the 12's with less than 300psi compression and 10+% leakage across all 8 cylinders with wicked blowby and 2 years later still running fine :confused:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Hmm, mine made it 100k, and said pop.

LLY made it 190k and said pop. You guys aren't doing it right, or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Either way, time for another gasser, transmissions are way easier to swap.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
LLY with 260k. The more and more I learn about these truck the more I realize it's had a hard life, but it's running strong. If it can make it to 300k I'll be tickled pink.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
You are hard on trucks, or have the worst luck, or a huge combo of both. Plus the lmm has weak ass pistons.

That LMM ran wayyyyy too ****ing good stock to last very long, knew it was too good to be true. Oh it's definitely ADD and bad luck, especially bad luck. I've had more shit go down this week than at an NWA concert. Builds character.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
That LMM ran wayyyyy too ****ing good stock to last very long, knew it was too good to be true. Oh it's definitely ADD and bad luck, especially bad luck. I've had more shit go down this week than at an NWA concert. Builds character.

It really must be bad luck... I'm approaching 200k and no signs of problems. And I feel like I drive the hell out of mine

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

I made it about 15k Miles farther the you. And yep stock lmms run so damn strong, deleted and max tuning.