Allison 6sp: Time for a converter change

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I've had it with this tight-ass 1054. I go to the track ready to launch like a man and I pushed through the brakes at only 13 psi tonight. It red-lighted, cut a 2.2 60' and ran a 12.43@110. I don't think I'm gonna see the true potential of my setup without being able to launch properly. When I keep the boost lower it doesn't push through & I'm only seeing mid 1.7s. I averaged mid 1.6s when it was all stock. Its also getting old not seeing TCC lockup until 4th gear.

I wont be able to switch until next month so there's some time to ponder my options. As of right now I'm leaning toward a Mike L. Precision or 1058.
Anybody have any advice/suggestions for me?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I've had it with this tight-ass 1054. I go to the track ready to launch like a man and I pushed through the brakes at only 13 psi tonight. It red-lighted, cut a 2.2 60' and ran a 12.43@110. I don't think I'm gonna see the true potential of my setup without being able to launch properly. When I keep the boost lower it doesn't push through & I'm only seeing mid 1.7s. I averaged mid 1.6s when it was all stock. Its also getting old not seeing TCC lockup until 4th gear.

I wont be able to switch until next month so there's some time to ponder my options. As of right now I'm leaning toward a Mike L. Precision or 1058.
Anybody have any advice/suggestions for me?

i'd go ML for sure... tight converters suck

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
McRat proved that tight converters can be as fast as a loose one in some cases when he and I and the late Joe Webb from Suncoast developed the 1057 converter. That converter was known as the McRat and was a great hit and still is. While doing the testing, the first converter I installed in Casper was a tight ass unit which I hated because of its lack of response off the line. It sucked. Pat tested it and ran .02 off his best time. He admitted that it was not a fun converter on the street. The second unit I installed was the now 1057 and it kicked ass and Wendy still runs one.
I think the PI ML converter is the best overall converter cause it like anything and everything.
I did the original testing on the 1054 and hated it. Jason was convinced that it was the cats meow for the LMM and had to have one. I traded him for my ML and he regretted it.:baby::D:hug:

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Same issues I had, try to build as much boost as possible and launch as hard as I could and the truck would come out of the hole like you were taking off for a Sunday afternoon drive:rolleyes:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
McRat proved that tight converters can be as fast as a loose one in some cases when he and I and the late Joe Webb from Suncoast developed the 1057 converter. That converter was known as the McRat and was a great hit and still is. While doing the testing, the first converter I installed in Casper was a tight ass unit which I hated because of its lack of response off the line. It sucked. Pat tested it and ran .02 off his best time. He admitted that it was not a fun converter on the street. The second unit I installed was the now 1057 and it kicked ass and Wendy still runs one.
I think the PI ML converter is the best overall converter cause it like anything and everything.
I did the original testing on the 1054 and hated it. Jason was convinced that it was the cats meow for the LMM and had to have one. I traded him for my ML and he regretted it.:baby::D:hug:

Thanks for the insight Mike. I never really liked this converter, I put up with it because it worked alright with a stock truck. The 1057 is no longer available correct? I'll be giving you a call when I'm ready.

How were you launching before that yougot 1.60 60fts? I leave at like 8-9 psi otherwise Its not smooth.

10-ish psi...right on the edge of pushing through.
It always went nice and smooth just like a Sunday drive. :rofl:
The only time I would get hop or spin is if my tire pressure wasn't lowered. With the new setup 10-12 psi isnt enough and it bogs a little. I want that rip-the-wheel-out-of-your-hands-with-the-tires-screaming-for-mercy type launch.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal

Live and learn for me. Shouldn't have tried to fix something that wasn't broken when I already had a badass converter:rolleyes:

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
Out of all the tcs I like the ml the best suncoast is close and the ATS I have now works great for pulling but locks wayy hard

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
I have the 1058 while it great in my eyes for driving I don't think its the best one for drag racing. it may just be me tho. I would like to try the PI ML when its time for something new. I don't think I can build more then 3psi with out walkin through the brakes. But I do need new breaks. My vote goes with the PI ML

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
With a VNT turbo you should be able to adjust it to get more PSI before it pushes through the brakes.

I had a 1054 on a stock turbo and loved it at the time. I was launching at 32-34 psi and about 2000 rpms, any more rpms and it would push through the brakes.

I switched turbo's to the S475 and then I hated the 1054, couldn't build more then 4 psi on the line. With Dustin sitting in the passenger seat he had me sit staged for a bit longer and the boost slowly came up to about 25 psi, but too way to long. Switched to a PI converter that stalls to about 3200 rpms and love it.

Just trying to keep you from pulling the trans if you can get what you want with tuning. But if you think it worth it, I really like the PI converters, especially the ML converter.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
sorry to be so new and dumb to the lingo but just curious exactley what are the newbie definitions for a tight converter as opposed to a loose converter :confused:

The RPM in which the converter stalls... 1056,1054,1057 are examples of "tight converters" loose converters allow more rpm during staging before pushing through the brakes to allow for proper spool up