Allison 6sp: Time for a converter change

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
1058 works good for my twins...

You are still on a stock turbo correct? I mean this in no way offensive but comparing a stocker/S475 to a bigger single S472 and up is not really close. I need a minimum of 2500rpm to start building any sort of boost on the line and my 2700 rpm stall PI from Mike works great. I doubt I would be able to achieve this with a 1058. Small twins vs. big single does not correlate well

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I can easily bring up RPM on my 1058. It is not at all what I would call a tight converter, but I've never tried it with a "big" turbo. The biggest setup I ever tried it with was a 16 cm 366 over a GT47. With that setup, 2500 RPM was no problem. I did it in the gravel driveway at my dad's house.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
By no means am I a TC expert. I only raced 2 times with the twins before the motor let go and I have only played around a lil since I put the motor back in. I have ran the 1058 with a stock turbo, 366/480 twins and now a 472 with 83mm turbine. And I enjoy driving them all on the road

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I should also explain my answer a little bit more... My tuning does not fuel hard until the upper RPM's (2800) so it could very well effect my spooling ability but I have done everything to keep torque down if I fueled hard im sure I would be able to gain spool up time... Your results may vary

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I can easily bring up RPM on my 1058. It is not at all what I would call a tight converter, but I've never tried it with a "big" turbo. The biggest setup I ever tried it with was a 16 cm 366 over a GT47. With that setup, 2500 RPM was no problem. I did it in the gravel driveway at my dad's house.

I tested the first 1058 and I like it in my '04 LB7 running Tonys Moonshine tune. Ron at Suncoast claimed it was tight but I didn't think so. It does couple well and is the closest Suncoast converter to the PI ML.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Thanks for the feedback everyone! IF I have to switch it out, I only want to do it once. The truck will have twins eventually so I want to be sure I make the right choice.

With a VNT turbo you should be able to adjust it to get more PSI before it pushes through the brakes.

I had a 1054 on a stock turbo and loved it at the time. I was launching at 32-34 psi and about 2000 rpms, any more rpms and it would push through the brakes.

I switched turbo's to the S475 and then I hated the 1054, couldn't build more then 4 psi on the line. With Dustin sitting in the passenger seat he had me sit staged for a bit longer and the boost slowly came up to about 25 psi, but too way to long. Switched to a PI converter that stalls to about 3200 rpms and love it.

Just trying to keep you from pulling the trans if you can get what you want with tuning. But if you think it worth it, I really like the PI converters, especially the ML converter.

Funny you say that. Nick called me yesterday around noon to see how things where going. I told him of my issues and he said it could possibly be adjusted with the tune. If I could build 25 psi I would be so happy. We'll give it shot and see what happens before I pull the trans. Thanks for the insight.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
New tuning did the trick. I can hit 20 PSI now without pushing through. Got me a 1.67 60' on a foreign track first time out.

Now I need to address the lockup issue. It's not locking until the 1/8 beam. Looks like I'll be giving BT Dieselworks a call real soon.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. Much appreciated!

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Go with the ML. I've driven plenty of different converters, built tranny and stock, and by far like the Precision ML the best. Nothing compares.