That feeling we all dread

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Swapped over pressure switch and e solenoid from other truck and pulled e valve out and ran tool thru bore again for kicks. Re assembled. This time I backed truck in so I could put it straight in drive, sat there for a moment waiting for it to kick to 4th and it didn't, so I pulled out the garage and all was still good, so I went to town and it all was still good. Then I went to the straight stretch I always test down, got up into overdrive and locked up. Everything going good, then I start slowing down to turn around and then the cel came on and p0872 was back. So I'm back in the garage dropping vb again, I'm going to pull vb out of other truck and try it.

Sold all my 6.6's and bout a 97 6.5... Life is good haha

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Could the valve have a knick in it? I'm assuming you cleaned the VB very well before you put it in. VB bolts torqued to 9 ft lbs? Mike explained to me how extremely important it was the VB is not over torqued, it can distort. I'm sure you've got all this down pat, just throwing some things out there.

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Yep I ran finger nail all over valve and can't see or feel anything, I cleaned the hell outta it, it's prolly holy now lol. 108 in pounds. I'm afraid it has been warped from previous hands in here, my little impact wouldn't take em loose first go round!

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
And I'm torquing them like a head, starting in the middle and working out

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
is there a way you can check the spool while you torque it down and see if anything changes while torqing it?

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Well boys... I pulled other valvebody off the other truck that's in for trans work, when I took it apart the b trim valve was binding up is I figured its gunna need to be replaced so I swapped valve stacks around, installed and what do ya know it worked! Went for a half hr drive slowing down stopping, different throttle positions and the final test, overdrive burnout lol. So if anyone reading this in the future, I basically needed a new valvebody. Thanks for all the replies everyone

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Glad you figured it out :thumb: I was so nervous when I built my trans. Not to mention it was my first allison build and my 2nd trans build ever. 25k mi later and it's still going strong.

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
I used it on the other valve body so it was still a good investment

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
I had one do the same thing. After hours of fooling with it & pulling my hair out I bought a new valve body. It was my last resort. Valve body issues really do suck