T87 Swaps

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
If I keep receiving project related freebies at the current rate, estimate I will have a complete running truck by 2027..

Anybody have a good 10L90 case and clutches to go with this valve body and connectors?? Have enough to Frankenstein me a 16spd Allison, on the bench..

74c91e0d8a32b8c14268f185cbf14c8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: pl_silverado

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If I keep receiving project related freebies at the current rate, estimate I will have a complete running truck by 2027..

Anybody have a good 10L90 case and clutches to go with this valve body and connectors?? Have enough to Frankenstein me a 16spd Allison, on the bench..

74c91e0d8a32b8c14268f185cbf14c8b.jpg

Technically speaking, you already have a truck... just keep the LLY and convert it for testing.... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: kidturbo

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The two black connectors in the back look like T87 connectors, the blue grey and black ones in the front left look like LML, not sure about the grey one on the right.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Suppose to be T87 and something i forgot. So tossed it up because your guess is as good as mine.

Then I received an update as to fit. E×× Gasser.

Well, that too.. The blue black and grey in the front left do line up with the E39A i have here too... But the grey one with no large pin has me stumped.
096a79cf207d1b8eb0d6690997b7dea3.jpg

It was nice of GM to start using the same connectors across multiple modules lol.

Now where the heck did I put the connector I built for the E86?

The unknown grey connector may be from an E38.

The connector I used to bench read and flash the E86 came from an E39A most likely, since they're plentiful in local U-Wrench yards. Physically the same, just pinned different. I pretty much never see any diesel in any of the local U-Wrench yards... Last time I was out, I did see a pre-2000 or so power stroke or two, or what was left of them .. that was a first

Last edited:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Well, that too.. The blue black and grey in the front left do line up with the E39A i have here too... But the grey one with no large pin has me stumped.
096a79cf207d1b8eb0d6690997b7dea3.jpg

It was nice of GM to start using the same connectors across multiple modules lol.

Now where the heck did I put the connector I built for the E86?

The unknown grey connector may be from an E38.

The connector I used to bench read and flash the E86 came from an E39A most likely, since they're plentiful in local U-Wrench yards. Physically the same, just pinned different. I pretty much never see any diesel in any of the local U-Wrench yards... Last time I was out, I did see a pre-2000 or so power stroke or two, or what was left of them .. that was a first
I was hoping some of those might fit the LLY. My Un-bricked ECM should be showing up here tomorrow, and forgot I needed to build a bench harness for the FUCM project. So if have any spares, I could sure use a set. Have stuff to trade..

For this T87 project, the little VR conditioners look to be a SUCCESS !! 🥳
Literally just wired one up using 12v power, connected EFI to the TCM, and spun up the wheel of death. Bang, we got 2 good speed signals. Haven't even pulled out the scope yet. Next up, see how it runs on using the TCM 9v ref line for supply..

20240824_023816.jpg

20240824_023845.jpg

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I was hoping some of those might fit the LLY. My Un-bricked ECM should be showing up here tomorrow, and forgot I needed to build a bench harness for the FUCM project. So if have any spares, I could sure use a set. Have stuff to trade..

For this T87 project, the little VR conditioners look to be a SUCCESS !! 🥳
Literally just wired one up using 12v power, connected EFI to the TCM, and spun up the wheel of death. Bang, we got 2 good speed signals. Haven't even pulled out the scope yet. Next up, see how it runs on using the TCM 9v ref line for supply..

View attachment 125481

View attachment 125482

Nice! I do have blue connectors for the LLY, but I don't believe I have the other two, and I'm not sure if I have any that haven't been totally de-pinned. I'll have to take a look ad see if I might have a some connectors I didn't know I had.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO

For this T87 project, the little VR conditioners look to be a SUCCESS !!

View attachment 125481

View attachment 125482
How is the g-solenoid impedance issue being handled?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Guess i gotta step it up and just drop off an entire truck...
Got my buddies LLY moving again last night, so can probably fit another one in now.
How is the g-solenoid impedance issue being handled?
That's what we gonna sort out next here on the old bench.. For the short term, just write out of the TCM OS. But for this build to be true 100% plug-N-play, we need to fake it electrically somehow. Besides hanging a coil in the harness, which I'm not above starting there, what you thinking??

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Connected the handheld scope to check the patterns of our little VR boards. Out of the box, P2P on TCM inputs was running right at 9v Ref line values, with a 300ma floor. Adjust the pots to raise the floor to about 1.5v, and that dialed in the P2P to where it perfectly matches the new style speeds sensors. Checked the DTC's, and not seeing any Current related codes.

floor-scale.jpg

20240824_045714.png

Also tests the replicated 5v TOS / VSS line, and looks well within specs. Currently pulled to ground at rest, and a nice 5v peak on the pulses.. If that won't make all those old pre-2015 nodes happy, I give up.. :D

TOS-VSS.jpg

Have pieces on the bench. Will calibrate each, and get one in the mail to ya @Cougar281

20240824_044753.jpg

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Got my buddies LLY moving again last night, so can probably fit another one in now.

That's what we gonna sort out next here on the old bench.. For the short term, just write out of the TCM OS. But for this build to be true 100% plug-N-play, we need to fake it electrically somehow. Besides hanging a coil in the harness, which I'm not above starting there, what you thinking??
There's not much going through my head lol. My thought is we may need to end up with a CAX file that can disable the solenoid and/or the diagnostic and DTC so it simply doesn't care, or an EFILive tune file that anyone can flash as part of the 'package'. The problem is the G Solenoid that's in the A40/A50/T14 trucks is the wrong impedance, which throws an incorrect impedance DTC, and when I added a resistor to bring the impedance into the proper range, I ended up with an incorrect current DTC :rolleyes:. And then there is the heat - my GUESS is we'd need a fairly large resistor to not burn up (an eighth watt resistor would probably go POOF PDQ :ROFLMAO:), but even with beefy enough resistor, there'd likely be significant heat... It seems the best approach may be to kill it altogether. Right now, I have an old trim solenoid in my adapter harness to make it happy, but that's not a long term solution lol.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have the data to write it out easy enough. Was just waiting on someone to sort out that CAX8 tread, then I'll dig up the location and we can whip one up for testing at least.

Yeah that’s still not going anywhere . I tried converting the cax to a cax8 and made no difference. I’m wondering if something is off in the cax file for the newer updates because I’ve seen where guys have tried to convert a cax to a cax8 and it would not populate in v8. They had to go back in and adjust some code to make it work. I may have to sift through that’s whole cax file and see if everything is as the template says it should be

Reactions: kidturbo