T87 Swaps

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
@Cougar281 has been out logging some miles on the worlds first LBZ T87 combo. And has made it back to the house under it's own power every time I believe.. MIL out, and I've seen logs of it shifting thru all 6 gears.

Pretty impressive achievement for this topic, being he's only using some hacked up connectors, roll of wire, and about $100 worth of prototyping boards.. Oh and I forgot, it's held together with Electrical tape rather than Duct for it's better insulting properties. o_O

Most seriously, it is pretty cool knowing the Allison TCM swap can work on about anything 6spd. And if we could just get the adaptive shift learn to complete, probably be 90% street worthy. But we're still sorting out the CANbus data, and could use bit more live CANbus data from a happily running 15-16 LML truck.

So if anyone has CANbus tools and a 15-16 LML truck, or just a truck close enough that I can drive there in a couple hours, please let me know. Need to capture the T87 and ECM talking happy in a few normal drive modes. Then we'll have a solid baseline for the same message communications between the E35A/B ECM, T87, and our newly alligned CANbus emulator.
How do you plan on capturing the error conditions for codes? Or am I missing something here?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
ECM/TCM are speaking fine connected on the same bus. All the existing messages look good, just missing a couple of things GM added after 14.

So once we supply it with the missing torque data, easily verified from an LML truck, the T87 should be happy. Then just verify torque mgmt is being received by the ECM and defuel requests are acknowledged.

It's a constant flow of torque capabilities messages between ECM/TCM. Min/Max available vs requested they constantly exchange. One can just toss some random fixed data at it, but it builds all the adaptive shifts based off torque and speeds.

I just noticed, I have very little actual live driving LML T87 data to compare with. That might help.. lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
If we have any members in the St Louis area with a 11-16 truck that could meet up with me, I could log the data too (might be good to gather data for a 2011-2014 T14 equipped truck as well as a 2015-2016 T87 equipped truck) - and if someone had a 11-14 truck and was really brave (lol), would be interesting to see how a bone stock T87 using my adapter harness would work in that.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Hit my favorite local lot today, and they had one true 14, but no 15-16. Might take that one for a spin to grab some early LML data. But still on the hunt for a T87 truck. Might need to dress up, and go scope out the big dealerships for a candidate.. Wasn't I searching for one of these six months ago??

Reactions: Jakezed22