Allison 6sp: T-Case Rub... Weld or Replace?

HUNTazLBZ

Aug 11, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I was scouting elk this weekend 200 miles from home when a friend of mine seen that my rear axle was coated in oil. Check and found leaking for transfer case... thought was the seal between the two half's. I was able to fill the case before making the trip home, it took 3/4 qt.

When I got back to the internet connected world i was able to figure out this was a case rub problem. i located the small hole in the 263xhd case.

i am going to put the Merchant Auto case pump upgrade in.

A new half case is $200+ any where i can find them.

I have a commercial welder friend who can and does weld magnesium.

down side or opinion on replacing half case vs having welded?

Anything else i should do while i have case off of truck and open?

Thanks

HUNTazLBZ

Aug 11, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I expect to be able to complete mine for under $400. However if i get half way through it and realize everything inside is blown out, i may have to hit you up! :thumb:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If you're going to tear it open then rebuilt it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HUNTazLBZ

Aug 11, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
You can get aluminum cases right off eBay with bushings already pressed in for $150 shipped it shouldn't even be a question. To hell with magnesium.

Thanks for that info! I had not found them last night in my search...
Is there any risk to bolting 200% heavier aluminium to the mag?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for that info! I had not found them last night in my search...
Is there any risk to bolting 200% heavier aluminium to the mag?

nope, just that much more weight for you to heave up into the truck. when you tear that thing down, go all the way down to the shift forks and inspect them. check your tone ring for a groove, check the back output bearing and snap ring groove (unless you buy a new case half), check the planitaries in front of the shift forks for any issues as well as the center needle bearing for rough spinning, and remember to put all the parts back in it lol.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thank you, Chevy1925 if i get stuck I'm calling you to come over and help!:hug:

i could probably just walk you through it on the phone lol. they are relatively simple. just have a decent sized bench to lay the parts out on as you disassemble.

Just don't let him convince you about the ways of the s480 and 10000 feet towing, like he did me.:thumb::hug:

:roflmao: there is no denying the awesomeness of the s480 sucking whats left of the atmosphere way up there to feed the smaller charger, only down fall is it just becomes harder for everyone else to breathe :D

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
But I do see the aluminum ones. Why does merchant automotive want freakin $300 for them?

I need to order one. I think my bushing has spun in the case. New seal didn't stop oil from spewing lol.