LBZ: Synthetic lube for transfer case

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i have ran 5w-30 full syn for the last 80k, only filled 2 quarts. i rebuilt my t-case about 25k ago due to the shift fork collar and wear fingers being worn out after 190k (common issues). inside was very clean. rear tail bushing is still tight, no seal leaks, chain has minimal stretch (best i can tell, no spec for the damn thing), planetary looks great, and i only replaced one bearing (rear output bearing had some notchyness to it i didnt like). Put 5w-30 back in, filled with 2 quarts and no issues since. checked this last summer and still looks new as far as oil look. still full too

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Autotrak fluid here, but that's because I have a custom 246 :D

If you check your fluid at a decent interval, I'd run a synthetic ATF or TC fluid. If not the motor oil won't harm anything - It MAY{(I haven't studied motor oil vs ATF effects on clutch material) and if anyone has, please feel free to educated me here} have a slight effect on the wear of the synchro clutch; however, unlikely you'll notice anything unless you're constantly switch from 2x4 to 4x4 24/7 on the go.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
60k on my fluid looks as new as the day I put it in over 7 years ago 3qt Mobil 1 5w/30 synthetic.

I did have to add a quart a while back because like an idiot I left my truck in 4wd for 3 miles at well above highway speed and it came out the vent. But in all the time I've had it it's never done that and hasn't since.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
ok cool. thanks all. just wanted to make sure i was on the same page. might try a switch of atf just to take note of any differences if any

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I ran 3qts without complaint, but George told me he recommends 2.5qts. I forget if it was noise or what... I'm half asleep, lol. Long damned day.