Suncoast running hot

Dirtymax85

Sep 12, 2008
Palestine, Illinois
Just got a suncoast put in about a month ago and now having problems with it running warm. Trans gets up around 200 degrees than acts like its in second gear that shifts in to first after you start taking off from a stop light. Not really sure why its doing this so looking for some help.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Just got a suncoast put in about a month ago and now having problems with it running warm. Trans gets up around 200 degrees than acts like its in second gear that shifts in to first after you start taking off from a stop light. Not really sure why its doing this so looking for some help.

200 isn't hot. Any codes? Could have a sticking valve. Could be TCM tuning.
I'm done guessing. Give me some info.

Dirtymax85

Sep 12, 2008
Palestine, Illinois
Nope no codes and there hasnt been any tcm tuning....It really doesnt seem to matter how you drive the truck either after driving it enough it will eventually start acting up.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I know when it is hot out my allison will get up to 200 when the converter isn't locked.

Dirtymax85

Sep 12, 2008
Palestine, Illinois
The weather here is high 30s to mid 40s right now. Spin on filter shouldnt need to be changed cause transmission doesnt even have 3,000 miles on it, it was just built about a month ago and fluid is right were it needs to be. I have no idea whats goin on with this thing.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
The weather here is high 30s to mid 40s right now. Spin on filter shouldnt need to be changed cause transmission doesnt even have 3,000 miles on it, it was just built about a month ago and fluid is right were it needs to be. I have no idea whats goin on with this thing.

Irc they can get dirty from the build becuase of the converters manfacturing process. its worth a shot. also mine has hit 200+ on hot days how are you checking your trans temp ? if at the pan i belive they read 10+ degrees hotter at tthe pan

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
It shouldnt be getting that hot on a 30* day. I think a spin is a cheap first route of attack. Try that

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
As of right now looking at the guage on the cluster for temps. I say we change the spin on calvin. Mike, when I talked to you about building my trans last year, we discussed the use of the lock up valve, and the trans running warmer than normal with the valve in place, do you think this could be what we are looking at possibly?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
As of right now looking at the guage on the cluster for temps. I say we change the spin on calvin. Mike, when I talked to you about building my trans last year, we discussed the use of the lock up valve, and the trans running warmer than normal with the valve in place, do you think this could be what we are looking at possibly?

This was on the LLY and LBZ valve only. Hope the staor support bushing was replaced with the teflon upgrade if you had the brass one.

Dirtymax85

Sep 12, 2008
Palestine, Illinois
I will check the fluid but I am about 100% sure its right on the money. Im goin to see how spin on does and if that dont work I guess I will buy the mike L cooler.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
I'd suggest only having the fluid filled to the bottom of the "HOT" zone.

Many reports of it being "FULL" and running pretty warm. Drained a quart or so and all was well..