Suncoast running hot

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I drove the truck again the other night with the tech 2 on it, temp reading was 224 under "normal" driving conditions. 35's with stock charger and a 1058 convertor, I wonder if the convertor maybe be causing our issues. Oh yeah Calvin just installed a Mike L Cooler as well.

dansdieselp

Diesel Tuner
Apr 3, 2009
Marengo, IL
It could be in the valve body or the oil cooler. Mine had a problem with getting hot and by hot we were pegging the needle at 300. I took the lines off in various places and blew shop are backwards through the system. Found some little pieces of converter clutch material in the heat exchanger and oil cooler. That helped, but it was still running at 250. Pulled the VB out and found that the E shift valve was hanging up and not stroking all the way. Cleaned the valve and bore and now lately has been running about 120 degrees above ambient. So around 210 on the dash. Now remember, that the dash reads about 20 degrees higher than what the trans. temp. really is. I'd pull the VB out and see if any valves especially the E shift valve are hanging up or have any marks on them. They should slide freely in and out with no tapping on the table. Also when it's hot are the lines going in and coming out of the front cooler hot? If so, then we know that oil is flowing through it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There are mods that can be done internaly that will knock temps down. Requires tear down to do them.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Quick question, I read in this thread and others that the dash reads higher than actual trans temps. Is that true on all trucks or just some? If so, whats average difference between whats shown for temp and actual temp?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Quick question, I read in this thread and others that the dash reads higher than actual trans temps. Is that true on all trucks or just some? If so, whats average difference between whats shown for temp and actual temp?

I have found that the dash come pretty close to the Tech 2 reading. They both get their signal from the valve body.