Stocker upgrade or ???

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
James quit being a ***** and run the 475 as the valley charger then get a real man's turbo so that it has company.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Why not buy another decent used stocker (or rebuild yours) and just have yellowchevy polish it up?
You'll keep the same driving characteristics and also gain a little power/boost.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Why not buy another decent used stocker (or rebuild yours) and just have yellowchevy polish it up?
You'll keep the same driving characteristics and also gain a little power/boost.
This is very true,and you wouldnt have to redo the exhaust flange.Ooooooor could have yellow chevy port and polish the 366:D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you're interested James I could ported/polish a stock one for you and install a batmowheel or keep the stock wheel.
If your wheel hasn't hit the housing I could rebuild it with new parts; both options would be much cheaper than $2500.

Just throwing that out there as another options for you.

Yellowchevy

We are probably gunna need to talk. Im really thinkin about goi this route. PM headed your way

James the 366 would be a direct drop in other then redoing the exhaust flange you would not have to have different ic pipes.

yes but now your requiring me to bust out my welder lol. I just want this bolts out, bolts in. I could absolutely do it but again, now i have the issue with lag. 37s kill a s366 in spool up

Ditch the twins....run a 472 with a diverter valve...

you let me know how yours does first

James quit being a ***** and run the 475 as the valley charger then get a real man's turbo so that it has company.

Levi, your never gunna talk me into it lol. This is not a race truck! It just beats your trucks he he heeeeeee

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010
The DTS still has a stock turbine wheel, so you may not benefit from any better turbine flow, but you've been running a stocker for however long as it is, so it may not matter.

The Fleece Cheetah comes with a 63mm billet compressor thats proven to support more horsepower than anything we've tested in its size, plus it comes with a larger 68mm Borg Turbine for better flow over the stock turbine, as well as a Borg Cart for better reliabilty, and a remote oil feed setup to save the #4 Cam journal bearing. There is also extensive machine work done in the turbine housing to optimize flow, for better response, EGT management, and to reduce drive pressure. Its not cheap, but it is the most labor intensive charger as far as assembly in the FPE lineup, and for a drop in replacement, you are getting your moneys worth.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/fleecelb7cheetahturbocharger.aspx

A compound setup is only as good as the high pressure charger can flow, in your specific case, if you have something that spools and drives the same, however it's capable of flowing and moving more air at the same or slower speeds, your going to benefit from it. It will maximize your compound turbo setups potential, and expand on the gains you already experience from the 2nd charger.

If you dont care to further lower EGT's, increase driveablity, and gain some more horsepower and torque, then you may not want a Cheetah! :roflmao:

Caleb

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The DTS still has a stock turbine wheel, so you may not benefit from any better turbine flow, but you've been running a stocker for however long as it is, so it may not matter.

The Fleece Cheetah comes with a 63mm billet compressor thats proven to support more horsepower than anything we've tested in its size, plus it comes with a larger 68mm Borg Turbine for better flow over the stock turbine, as well as a Borg Cart for better reliabilty, and a remote oil feed setup to save the #4 Cam journal bearing. There is also extensive machine work done in the turbine housing to optimize flow, for better response, EGT management, and to reduce drive pressure. Its not cheap, but it is the most labor intensive charger as far as assembly in the FPE lineup, and for a drop in replacement, you are getting your moneys worth.

A compound setup is only as good as the high pressure charger can flow, in your specific case, if you have something that spools and drives the same, however it's capable of flowing and moving more air at the same or slower speeds, your going to benefit from it. It will maximize your compound turbo setups potential, and expand on the gains you already experience from the 2nd charger.

If you dont care to further lower EGT's, increase driveablity, and gain some more horsepower and torque, then you may not want a Cheetah! :roflmao:

Caleb

ah thank you for the info!

James get a dts or fleece, they both run great and spool great! Or get a t4 billet 66:D i have zero issues towing and lag

put 37s on it and 13k off the back, then get back to me on lag at 1500rpm ;) :D

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have been wanting to do this exact thing to my stock turbo. I want the same things too, I had a 68mm cheetah that "spools as good or better" then stock. I can tell you that it didn't. I know it was variable but I couldn't hardly use cruise control at 60mph with my 3,500# boat on it without blacking it out when i would start up a hill. I think if you go with any bigger turbine, you are going to lose some spool at low rpm. I want an upgrade but 100% will not be a cheetah. I have talked to Danville and DTS and still really not sure what to do. Lot of money to maybe not like it

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Personally, I don't see the need for a different turbine wheel with a 63 or 64mm compressor wheel in a twin turbo application that size. The stock gate and housing has flowed well to 800HP. The stock compressor wheel is the limiting factor up to about 650hp.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have been wanting to do this exact thing to my stock turbo. I want the same things too, I had a 68mm cheetah that "spools as good or better" then stock. I can tell you that it didn't. I know it was variable but I couldn't hardly use cruise control at 60mph with my 3,500# boat on it without blacking it out when i would start up a hill. I think if you go with any bigger turbine, you are going to lose some spool at low rpm. I want an upgrade but 100% will not be a cheetah. I have talked to Danville and DTS and still really not sure what to do. Lot of money to maybe not like it

the VVT turbos are much more finicky than the IHI. Have you talked to Fingers about them before? you'll learn a lot if you do.

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010

A Cheetah on an LMM sometimes takes some time to get them tuned in. If your in southern IN, you have an open invitation to come up and see what can be done to make it better if you still have it. We could work with Kory and get it dialed in the way it outta be. I can think of an instance with an LMM recently that really challenged Brayden, similar to what you describe. It just took him a couple of good solid days working on the tune to get all of the tables to jive so that they all worked well together. This is the guy that designed that turbo, and has been tuning them sense their inception 6 years ago. The result is what i will call Brayden's Mona Lisa, the best driving, meanest VNT LMM to date. Snappy like a small stocker, yet open and powerful like a big fixed single. Tuning is not a silver bullet by any means, but sometimes it takes more than what a tuner may be use too.

Caleb

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Caleb

So how is spool up with this charger? anyone you know of thats running as big a tire as i am on stock gears and towing to compare with?