Started building my first set of twins

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We're building a new set of twins for the race truck at work. This is my first time building a set. I got the turbo mounted and the hot pipe built today. The turbos are S475 and S510. We're using a ProFab waste gated pedestal and a ProFab 3" shorty LLY bridge. The cold pipe will have V-band flanges on both ends and the hot side intercooler tube will also have a V-band flange at the small turbo. Here's what I got done today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0557 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0557 (Copy).JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_0558 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0558 (Copy).JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 743

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
Looks great so far!!........Be careful when you finish weld the hotpipe to the T6 flange, I've seen quite a few people warp them by putting too much heat in.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thanks for the compliments guys.
If your going to learn might as well be a big ass set. Now to see how your tigging skills.
I'm afraid my TIG skills are pretty much non-existent. The hot pipe I'll MIG, but the cold pipe is the one I'm not sure on. I may just tack it together and take it somewhere to have it TIGed.
looks good. what size gate will you be running?
It's a Turbosmart Hyper-Gate 45 mm waste gate.
Looks good Josh:thumb: I would cover the oil fill hole so nothing falls in there.
This is just a mock-up engine. It has a bunch of bent rods, so if something falls in there, it's no big deal.
Looks really good! Where are you going with the exhaust? It's tough to tell in the pic but that 510 looks pretty close to the firewall.
The shadow and ground lead make it look closer than it is, but it is pretty close. When I placed the turbo, I had a 5" 90 tacked to a flange and installed on the turbo to make sure I had enough room to clear the firewall with the down pipe.