Help: Speeding ticket! What do i do?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Bull shit. Laser/LIDAR is instant. If your radar detector goes off and says "laser", its already too late and you might as well pull over and wait for him to catch up to you. Same thing if the cop has regular radar and uses the hold button.......

Wrong. Any type of laser hit to any car around you will be picked up and alert you to their presence.

Chevy Trailblazer and Infinity SUV taillights set of false lasers though and really are annoying sometimes.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Looks like i got an old beater 92 Ranger on the way for a "don't giva hoot" cheap daily driver! It's got a 2.9 V-6 and a 5spd so.... Them lil suckers are pretty damm slow! If i wished to speed or rapidly accelerate with it, i'll have to get out and push!
in order to do so!:rofl: Gonna hafta park the coal roller for a while, gettin to costly to drive :sad:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Looks like i got an old beater 92 Ranger on the way for a "don't giva hoot" cheap daily driver! It's got a 2.9 V-6 and a 5spd so.... Them lil suckers are pretty damm slow! If i wished to speed or rapidly accelerate with it, i'll have to get out and push!
in order to do so!:rofl: Gonna hafta park the coal roller for a while, gettin to costly to drive :sad:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Having a DD is always great.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Wrong. Any type of laser hit to any car around you will be picked up and alert you to their presence.

no, you are wrong.

Ask Unit453 how it works, he has explained it to me in detail: no radar detector (I dont care if its the fancy pants V1 or a cheap cobra) can save you from a "good" cop who is fast with radar and doesnt just sit there with it running wide open constantly.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
it will pick up from any of the near by cars(at least 1/8 mile). So if you happen to be the only one then you are screwed. But,......

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
why do you need three if they are so awesome and make you invincible?

I drive that much a year and ive gotten like two speeding tickets since Ive had my license. Its called just dont drive like an ass......

;)

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
why do you need three if they are so awesome and make you invincible?

I drive that much a year and ive gotten like two speeding tickets since Ive had my license. Its called just dont drive like an ass......

;)

Ive never had a radar detector, never had any tickets since ive been driving. Wanna know my secret? Dont drive like an ass and you wont get pulled over for it :D

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I don't drive thing's that go fast on the highway.......like mt wife's Saab.....got a ticket in that thing last month. 70 in a 55. $150 bucks later....... I drive a POS honda I picked up for $1000 bucks. I set the cruise at 5 over because i'm always affraid it's going to break down on me. I never get in the hammer lane either, for the breaking down reason. I got 4:88 gears in my truck needless to say it's not a freeway flyer anymore....

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Im not interested in fighting with you Ben... seems like this happens all too often. Lets end it alright? :hug:

I have one in my Duramax, one in my Tahoe (which I haven't driven in 6 months so I gave to my mom) and I bought my dad one. I believe in them.... works for me.

Best safety practice is like you guys said, not driving like an ass.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Seems the police around here just drive around with there radar on, I never get a quick flash from a passing policeman, I know he's coming for at least 30 seconds before I ever see him. I'm using a Rocky Mountain Radar. Now if they were a little more stealthy around here, I'm sure I'd already have a handful of tickets :angel:

hhhsharps

May 24, 2008
Just a couple of thoughts......

I've decided to jump in here only to give some sound words of wisdom that can save someone from a citation. Usually a person has to lend credibility to themselves and it becomes a long list of ...I did this...and I did that. All that is really needed here is that this comes from being assigned to the "Traffic Division" for 5 years. That said;

There are many types of energy emitting devices used to detect the speed of a moving object. For the most part, law enforcement has radar, microwave,laser and photo (not energy emitting), or combinations of these to choose from.

The older units (lot's of them still in use) were the the early K and Ka bands of radar and for the most part, were always "ON", emitting a signal that would bounce all over the place from radar reflective surfaces. This "overspray" was easily picked up by early detectors and really saved a lot of people from tickets. The auto w/ the detector only had to slow down, provided they were not the intended object, and the general public lost their minds and started buying them left and right. Savy electronics firms made millions.

Radar then went to "Instant ON", and that changed things dramatically. Now, the instant that the operator turned the unit on, the "strongest signal" would be displayed in a second display screen and the operator could instantly "lock" that displayed value (speed). The term strongest signal is a whole other discussion w/ rules and caveats, but for our purposes, the strongest signal is usually the "lead" vehicle (closest) which is usually the fastest (yes I know that is not always true...there are ways to discriminate or ignore). For our purposes, by the time the speeding vehicles detector went off, it was WAY too late...that speed had already been captured.

Laser, light-dar or any other combination. these are also "Instant-ON" and captures the speed of the object instantly, IMO voiding the usefulness of the detector unit. Of interest is the fact that these units are sighted...meaning that they have sights on them and can pick you out of a crowded 6 lane freeway regardless of the speed of the surrounding traffic or the SIZE of the surrounding traffic (trucks).

Photo...Passive and merely a function of distance tavelled over time. No detector for that.

Synopsis;

With older radar units, if the operator is "asleep at the wheel" and you have super kung-fu reflexes (or you have good reaction times at the drag strip tree....:D), then you MIGHT get it shut down before your speed is locked. ANYTHING else.....it was over the instant your "super-turbo dynomax 9000-multi band mx missile radar jamming" detector went..."ding-Dong":eek:
And they very, very, very rarely come out of calibration and the operator calibrates them at the beginning and end of each shift. Some departments require calibration before and after each citation.

Moral to the story......slow down...use your head...think about where you are.....or make damn sure you know what you are doing when you decide to flex your 600 hp super-toy.

I have never had or will have any type of detector...IMO they are a wast of money.

Regards,