Smoking during cold idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Thanks for telling us everything we already knew. Now if you had read through each post...this thread is over a year old and the ops motor threw a rod. His new motor doesn't have issues...

But thanks for playing.

No way genius...

It's a new build. That equals new pistons and rings plus at least a cylinder hone if not a new block. Most people reading this thread I would assume have near or over 100,000 miles on their engine. Over that time period things wear or "break in" thus causing a little bit of blow by when the cylinder bore and pistons are cold. Once they expand the blow by stops, the fact that the OP puked a rod has nothing or very little at best to do with hazing during a cold start, less than freezing at least. Then you throw in that most have deleted or tuned around emissions equipment that was in fact intended to reduce cold weather start up and low temp running emissions. Hazing is a fact of life with diesels that have some service hours on the clock. Not a sign that your about to have a catastrophic failure...

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
No way genius...

It's a new build. That equals new pistons and rings plus at least a cylinder hone if not a new block. Most people reading this thread I would assume have near or over 100,000 miles on their engine. Over that time period things wear or "break in" thus causing a little bit of blow by when the cylinder bore and pistons are cold. Once they expand the blow by stops, the fact that the OP puked a rod has nothing or very little at best to do with hazing during a cold start, less than freezing at least. Then you throw in that most have deleted or tuned around emissions equipment that was in fact intended to reduce cold weather start up and low temp running emissions. Hazing is a fact of life with diesels that have some service hours on the clock. Not a sign that your about to have a catastrophic failure...

i wouldn't call a haze at cold startup and blowby the same thing because they are not

i have a haze on cold startup out the exhaust just like everyone else but it goes away with heat and is a different color then the blowby i have at 190* operating temp out of the crankcase breather. two different types of "smoke" coming from two complete opposite areas of the engine at two vastly different operating temps.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
i wouldn't call a haze at cold startup and blowby the same thing because they are not

i have a haze on cold startup out the exhaust just like everyone else but it goes away with heat and is a different color then the blowby i have at 190* operating temp out of the crankcase breather. two different types of "smoke" coming from two complete opposite areas of the engine at two vastly different operating temps.

I don't thnk anybody has even mentioned crankcase blow by, we are talking about cold start hazing from incomplete combustion...

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
No way genius...

Actually me throwing a rod had everything to do with the haze at idle. Why do you think it threw the rod? Because they were all bent making it low on compression and have incomplete combustion

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
No way genius...

I don't thnk anybody has even mentioned crankcase blow by, we are talking about cold start hazing from incomplete combustion...

What kind of blow by were you referring to then?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
Harbin, I was reading this before I saw your motor popped and I was going to say my 60 overs don't even haze like that now when it's in the teens outside any my truck has 80k on it. glad you found the problem, to bad it reared it's ugly head the way it did.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Actually me throwing a rod had everything to do with the haze at idle. Why do you think it threw the rod? Because they were all bent making it low on compression and have incomplete combustion

So you knew your rods were bent before you took the motor apart???

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Like I said before that's splitting hairs and trying to start an argument for what reason???

Excessive smoke at idle while cold is referred to hazing some people call it blow by, get over it...

All I said the first time is those people that call it blow by are dead wrong, so nobody was confused because haze and blowby are two completely different issues with no relation to each other.

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
No way genius...

my 250k motor with 30% covers doesn't haze...unless it reaches below freezing....I must be lucky to have so many miles and no haze!!!! If you don't think bent rods can cause smoke idk what to say...at all I'm lost for words on how to respond.

No wonder you were banned off duramax forum, surprise they let you here.

PS blow by is not the same as hazing. Wtf?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
my 250k motor with 30% covers doesn't haze...unless it reaches below freezing....I must be lucky to have so many miles and no haze!!!! If you don't think bent rods can cause smoke idk what to say...at all I'm lost for words on how to respond.

No wonder you were banned off duramax forum, surprise they let you here.

PS blow by is not the same as hazing. Wtf?

Reread my post then insert your foot into your mouth...:thumb:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
What the hell does that have to do with anything? This entire thread was about what was making my truck smoke while it was idling. The reason was...... the rods were bent.

Prove it...

How do you know that???

Just bc they were all bent when you took it apart means very little bc when it let go it was out of blance and easily could have shortened every othe rod...

Duhhh...

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
You are an idiot. The motor was idleing on jack stands when it let go and I was sitting in the drivers seat. The rod broke and it ran for maybe .5 second before I shut it off. If you want more proof, I went 119mph in the 1/4 at 6800-6900#'s which put it over 750hp at the tires. Stock rods just can't take that.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You are an idiot. The motor was idleing on jack stands when it let go and I was sitting in the drivers seat. The rod broke and it ran for maybe .5 second before I shut it off. If you want more proof, I went 119mph in the 1/4 at 6800-6900#'s which put it over 750hp at the tires. Stock rods just can't take that.

Exactly...

You were pushing the hell out of it as I said earlier...

It did not puke a rod bc it was hazing when below freezing...

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
Exactly...

You were pushing the hell out of it as I said earlier...

It did not puke a rod bc it was hazing when below freezing...
no one said it puked a rod because it was hazing.:confused: EDIT - NO PERSONAL INSULTS - PAT. And he had heavy hazing ABOVE freezing temps. Last I knew anyway 40* wasn't freezing...

Status
Not open for further replies.