Smoking during cold idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Truck has been smoking bluish during cold idle pretty heavy. Very fuel smelling. Like enough to drive me crazy. If i plug it in for an hour with 40* temps, it will just barely haze. If it is 80*+ its not too bad either. It has been doing it for about the last 3 months.

I have checked compression 380-390 on all cylinders. Was checked cold, about 40* outside and had sat for a day and half.

Uses no oil at all with 5-6,000 mile intervals

Has no pressure in the overflow, and use no coolant, with no discolored coolant.

Had dipper 40% tips only, were not balanced. Really thought they were the problem, but sadly are not.

Replaced injectors with balanced 60% from Mass Flow Engineering(diesel injection). Made zero difference.

Raising RP doesn't help at all, it is raised to 45mpa at warm idle and does not haze at all after about 130* coolant temp.

Have played with timing, with no change

Stock tune does the same thing.

So what else can make it only haze during cold idle and smell like fuel pretty bad? I am at a lose with it.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Mine does it too, completely stock fuel system. You think the lack of an EGR and Cat could be the cause? Not really the cause but maybe the EGR and cat helped clean up the smoke and smell?

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
Mine does it with 100 overs too.....I honestly hate it so much that I may just put the stockers back in. I might put the intake heater back in and see if it helps at all. Are you guys running one still?

sent from my LG "Stupid" phone, using Tapatalk

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Stock motor, 60% injectors as of yesterday. I have had the same 40% for almost 2 years and it really just started doing this one day. No grid heater for 2 years either. It would just barely haze the last 2 winters in 10* weather and none at 30* and above. Hell it smokes at 60* now.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Mine kinda does the same thing with my Dipper 40% tips. Below 40* on cold start, it hazes a little, and smells pretty bad until it warms up.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
my truck is stock as far as injectors and stuff goes. it will haze on real cold mornings until it gets a little warm. I deleted my IAH and i think that might be what is causing mine to do it.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
my truck is stock as far as injectors and stuff goes. it will haze on real cold mornings until it gets a little warm. I deleted my IAH and i think that might be what is causing mine to do it.

LLY's don't have either and mine never hazed blue

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mine has not hazed at all in the 50-60* mornin weather we have had here. smells a bit stronger but not much. this is on 45% over DDP tips on stock bodys with delipped and .010 cut down LB7 pistons. im curious to see how it starts when we hit the 30s and 40s in the mornin

Status
Not open for further replies.