Small diesel engine ?'s. jr. Dragster

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
If one were to buy his daughter a jr dragster, what small diesel engine would adapt to the chassis? I think it's time to get her in the seat, she's going to be 9 and has been wrenching and involved since about 4yrs..

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I think thats awesome Russ a proper diesel set up in a jr dragster could clean up if set up right.My wife works with a guy that has a jr dragster and i believe its his daughter that races it,he is a member on here i see if i can have him jump in here.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Look at Audi,when they entered the Formula1 arena with the TDI,they ran away with it and were forced to have weight added to the cars to keep the gasers competetive.Just using this as a comparison,i just really think the potential is there.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Be careful if you start with small diesel generator.

I know some of the gas ones are extremely difficult to turn into a standard engine. The generator shares cases with the engine, so you must do a lot of fabrication and modify the crankshaft.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You're worried about fabrication problems? Thats Russ you're talking to...no such thing as "fabrication problems" with him.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Be careful if you start with small diesel generator.

I know some of the gas ones are extremely difficult to turn into a standard engine. The generator shares cases with the engine, so you must do a lot of fabrication and modify the crankshaft.

I vaguely remember tearing into one in my teens. Iirc the gen housing was one piece with the motor, and the crank was press fit and not keyed.

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Check with the org you will be racing with ...they might not allow diesels. I believe most use Briggs-Stratton Animals (which is a purpose built racing motor).
If you go diesel make sure you get a keyed shaft...and check out the clutch sizes so you get a shaft that you can get a clutch for...

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Russ I have been looking at these for some time now. Looking to build a Jr Funny car for my little girl. Also have to watch age limits for the motor limits in some 8 years of age limited to 12.90 et in 1/8 or 6.50 in the 330. I have a few different motor choices saved in the diesel area wanted to keep it were it could be tuned. Look at Polaris they have some diesels. Also the battery powered Jr's run fast as hell also.