#simplebitch (yet another RCSB build)

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I love this guy!
Nice documentary pics, specially the food:rofl:

Sweet build Wayne! I like how thoroughly you've done your SBconv, tightening the gap...everything(so far ;) ) That white rc with the hood stack looks wickedly legit...:)

Awesome first pass too! Hey, was the other truck a chase/camera truck or what:roflmao:

:thumb:

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
Thanks guys. I really wanted at least a 7 so I was disappointed. What I REALLY want is to get close to Charles' old stock Duramax time like I've always told him I would. :D

Found out the track in Tulsa (3 hours or so away) is still doing test and tune on Friday night so I may give it another shot this season after all. I need to figure out how to set the rear up and a way to leave on any boost at all. If I even tap the throttle while I'm standing on the brakes at the line it starts spinning the tires. It's hard to find applicable advice on 2wd leaf spring diesels.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
And I just realized I never posted an update from a few months ago...always working on someone else's stuff.

Found a 4wd and LLY donor all in one. I love the 2wd, but I also want it to be fast on the street. Still can't seem to make up my mind on whether to leave it 2wd or convert it to 4wd but now I have a donor if I want to do it.

Loaded it up with a "borrowed" (without asking) front loader. More shenanigans with my friends.

Then I had to make it a roller on the trailer so I could get it off at my shop.

Then I needed to get it stripped so I could move out of my shop. Sometimes I impress myself what I can accomplish in about half a day by myself with a sawzall and some 4x4s. Haha.

Bada bing, bada boom.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
And because everyone finds it funny that I still tow with it, here it is a few weeks ago rescuing my lead's 6.7 that had the turbo shit the bed. Hauled it off and put an S464 swap on it.

This is mainly for Brian. Traitor. :roflmao:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
personally, id leave it 2wd but if your not 100% sure how to get it to work, i can see why you would want 4wd.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
personally, id leave it 2wd but if your not 100% sure how to get it to work, i can see why you would want 4wd.

It has zero to do with not being sure how to to get it to work as a 2wd...I'm a stubborn bastard and I'll be damned if I can't figure something out. I may not be sure how to do it right now but I'll figure it out. Plus 2wd has one big advantage...WHEELIES!

The 2wd vs 4wd is more from a street driver standpoint than track racing setup. I can be fast on street tires in 4wd on the street and mess with anything I come across at will. As a 2wd, I don't think there is any way I can get the traction on the street with street tires. I don't want to have to go home and put slicks on to go play on the street. On the track, I feel like both can be comparable. On the street, I feel like 4wd has a major advantage. But I'm willing to listen to arguments.

I guess I need to a start a thread about 2wd setup. I can think of a few trucks running 10s on 2wd setups that are cutting at least decent 60 ft times (Kory, Mark, Josh) and I'm sure there might be more.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks guys. I really wanted at least a 7 so I was disappointed. What I REALLY want is to get close to Charles' old stock Duramax time like I've always told him I would. :D

Found out the track in Tulsa (3 hours or so away) is still doing test and tune on Friday night so I may give it another shot this season after all. I need to figure out how to set the rear up and a way to leave on any boost at all. If I even tap the throttle while I'm standing on the brakes at the line it starts spinning the tires. It's hard to find applicable advice on 2wd leaf spring diesels.

It has zero to do with not being sure how to to get it to work as a 2wd...I'm a stubborn bastard and I'll be damned if I can't figure something out. I may not be sure how to do it right now but I'll figure it out. Plus 2wd has one big advantage...WHEELIES!

The 2wd vs 4wd is more from a street driver standpoint than track racing setup. I can be fast on street tires in 4wd on the street and mess with anything I come across at will. As a 2wd, I don't think there is any way I can get the traction on the street with street tires. I don't want to have to go home and put slicks on to go play on the street. On the track, I feel like both can be comparable. On the street, I feel like 4wd has a major advantage. But I'm willing to listen to arguments.

I guess I need to a start a thread about 2wd setup. I can think of a few trucks running 10s on 2wd setups that are cutting at least decent 60 ft times (Kory, Mark, Josh) and I'm sure there might be more.

i got ya. my comment derives from the bold above as it read like you were just going off what others had done.

you can make a 2wd hook on the street with sticky street tires and a good suspension setup but you wont be hooking to any trailers like you are now. the suspension will be too soft.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
She currently is making a pretty good mobile work bench/parts hauler for some yahoo passing through my state that decided to break his truck :hug:

Z71HULK

Jun 29, 2011
San Angelo, TX
Found a 4wd and LLY donor all in one. I love the 2wd, but I also want it to be fast on the street. Still can't seem to make up my mind on whether to leave it 2wd or convert it to 4wd but now I have a donor if I want to do it.
IMG_20150807_190948_zps0a6wir8r.jpg
[/URL]

Any chance you still have the passenger side rear fender flare? Sorry to hijack...

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
I started messing with this and then got swamped at work, so I'm going to update and maybe it will give me some motivation to get it driving again.

What James said above kind of stuck in my head (thanks James!) and made me slightly irritated with myself for acting like a little bitch. I intentionally bought a 2wd truck when I went looking for a regular cab, specifically because of the reasons I've been whining about now. It has to be 4wd to be fast, 2wd sucks, blah, blah, blah. I was determined to make a 2wd fast without resorting to a 4 link and I still am. Plus I really want to widen some PYOs and 20" Denali wheels to go in the back. :D

So I started doing some Caltrac and rear suspension setup research. I found an awesome thread on YB and realized that I was thinking about the setup all wrong. Based on that I made some Caltrac and shock setting changes, which fixed my wheelhop and I can even brake boost to about 2200 RPM now on street tires just from those changes. I am going to do some more work to get it really dialed in, but it is a start.

Checking my suspension travel. On Pirate 4x4 they'd probably call this checking cycles. I'm calling it practicing wheelies.

Then I pulled the rearend out, disassemble and greased all the rear suspension pivot points, put a factory shackle back in, added pinion angle shims, in preparation of redoing the factory shocks mounts.

Cut the factory shock mounts off and cleaned up the axle tubes. My OCD/anal retentiveness/perfectionist really comes out when I start fabricating.

Haven't picked up a welder in a few months. Always nice to see that I've still got it in me.

Reworked the factory hard brake lines to go around my new mounts. I'm doing stainless braided lines all the way around too.

Put the rearend back in the truck last night. Started measuring and decided I'm going to pull the bed to do the upper shock bar and then cut my spare tire crossmember out too. Maybe I'll get that done this weekend.