#simplebitch (yet another RCSB build)

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Awesome build man. Nice to see someone that goes above and beyond when building things. OCD is a quality trait for builders :thumb:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Great build Wayne your enthusiasm and seeing how much fun you have with it makes it very fun reading and the truck is sweet! Great work and as busy as you are still find the time to poke fun at Brian and help out Adam you're all right in my book...:thumb:

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
Well, I keep getting frustrated and not posting updates, but then everyone else keeps updating their threads and getting me excited.

Last update I was redoing the shock mounts on the rearend, so since then...

I made new upper shock mounts and cut out the spare tire crossmember. I was trying to maximize the shock length under the bed, because I'm concerned about topping out the suspension with the Caltracs. But I didn't want to just weld a bar across the top of the frame, so I came up with this. To be honest, most of my frustration came from this. I finished this and even though I factored in the diameter of the shock body, after I drove it the shock body was hitting the tab. In summary, I messed up. So in the end I cut the bar back off and made a "temporary" one that went across the top. I was pressed for time and it's solid, but isn't as nice as I prefer. I'm still not sure what my final shock and suspension setup will be at this point, or my final ride height, so I'll remake it when I have that all figured out.

Shock tabs...

Need to work on my plasma because it isn't cutting too well lately

But I can fix that with a grinder

And then a little finer

Putting the bar together

Spare tire crossmember coming out #becauseracetruck

Bed back on

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
And then I drove it for about 30 minutes and pulled the bed back off. Cut the bar off and made a new "temporary" one. Sigh.

Temporarily dumped my exhaust pre-axle because it didn't clear the rearend. And again, no idea what final ride height is yet. Pretty sure my whole neighborhood hates me. Hell, I hate me.

Welded rearend FTW

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
As this was going on I was moving into new shop space. The positive side to this is I now have indoor space to work again, the negative side is now I've got side jobs taking all my time up again.

BUT, I've been stacking new body related parts and getting it ready to go to paint though. :woott: Now if I could just get my part finished so it can go.

Needed a little more custom

Shaving the tailgate

I've got a couple of head gasket jobs to finish and then I can finish shaving everything so it can go to paint. Hopefully.

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
Forgot to mention I've been finally working on getting this in the truck too. Nexus 7 tablet as a head unit, packaged in a gutted factory head unit, digital audio out and other goodies. This makes me excited in the crotchal region.

And I bought a brandy new black 2015 jumpseat. Going to make it fit and then recover my seats to match while the truck is getting painted.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I really like that tablet idea. You're going to have to skew into Stereo and Electronics and explain how you did that all.

Oh yeah, the truck is looking good, too. :roflmao: Congrats on getting into the new shop.:thumb:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I really like that tablet idea. You're going to have to skew into Stereo and Electronics and explain how you did that all.

Oh yeah, the truck is looking good, too. Congrats on getting into the new shop.:thumb:
I concur. Tablet is awesome

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS

The Nexus 7 does digital audio out the USB port, so using an OTG cable you can charge the tablet and run data/audio in/out at the same time. The short version is the tablet does digital audio out to a DAC (digital to analog converter) and the DAC has RCA outputs that then go to a normal car audio amp. The DAC I'm using does 16 bit/48 kHz (at least as good as CD quality sound, which is very good) sound quality, so it will also sound very good. Using the headphone jack gives pretty crappy sound quality, which I didn't want. The longer version is that I put a USB hub in between, so I will also be able to run an external hard drive, backup camera, or anything else I can plug in to a USB port and the tablet will recognize it at the same time. I'm also pretty anal retentive about people doing them powered off the cigarette lighter, so my USB hub is 12V powered from the factory harness. I'm using a normal PAC aftermarket radio interface (like you use when installing an aftermarket radio to keep all the factory chimes) and powering the hub off the RAP wire and also using it to control factory steering wheel controls (when I swap my steering wheel control column in). So, when you turn the key on it powers the hub and everything is connected to the hub, turn the key off and it turns off like factory when you open the door. Android has an app called Tasker that allows you to write commands for how the tablet acts under certain situations. In this case, when it sees power it will wake the tablet up, when you remove power it puts it to sleep. Then I get badass Google searches, that can go to Maps, Navigation, etc. Plus streaming YouTube, Google Play, Pandora, etc. There is also an app called Tablet Talk where the tablet can be your phone, so I can make calls or text through the tablet. All kinds of neat stuff you can do.

The DAC will feed some older Memphis amps I've been saving, Hertz components in the doors and probably one of Sundown Audios shallow 10" subs. At some point I'll add a DSP (digital sound processor) to really tweak the sound. But overall it should rock pretty hard.

Here's a test video I did of making it all work together. The output is through a little speaker out of the DAC, but in the end that will go to amps instead. Notice nothing is coming out of the tablet speakers for sound or anything plugged in the headphone jack of the tablet.

https://youtu.be/70Jd5EnPjtA