Setting up suspension

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Ok guys I need help setting up my suspension. I'm sticking with 35 inch tires and the 8 inch fabtec lift, with the smaller tires and cutout up front I can run the Tbars all the way down and have 0 to slight negative angle on the front end. Now, I know with a 2wd you want a as much weight shift to the rear as you can get, but for obvious reasons I can't have the front end really lifting. So, I'm guessing a somewhat slow shock up front with the limit straps to keep everything lined up where it should. Now for the rear-right now I have a lot of rake from dropping the front end down, so I'm going to drop it down some-do I want it level, a slight rake forward, rake towards the rear? Do I want to keep the rear suspension soft to still try and get some transfer to the lighter rear wheels or firm it up? I have long track bars and have never had issues with wheel hop, also have bags on the truck so I can set one side firmer than the other to help with the torque roll. Going to set the pinion about 4* down too.
Thanks guys I'm damn near full retard when it comes to this so any help is appreciated.

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
I can't answer your questions but I do believe i still have a set(2) limit straps for the front if anyone needs a set(I'll never use them) I'll look in the morning.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Ok I have a set that made up but I'm sure someone else will need them (great for the track or so I have found)-I think I have that under control, I just need to figure out the rest

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Get you some Qa1's

X2. Also andrew, id look at loosin the long bars and runnin a set of cal-tracs if possible. You can fine tune them in off spring pressure to help make that rear end grab and keep on grabbing. Axle wrap is only half the battle at the strip, keeping traction in the rear is the next.

A set of adjustable qa1 all around and cal tracs and ill bet once you get it all dialed in, she will launch like a bat out of hell. Its gunna take a good amount of track time to get it right though. Make sure you have someone who can video every launch or mount two go-pros to watch the front and rear suspension to see what its doin

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I was looking at caltracs, what’s the big difference between the two? I have also heard that they are better than long trac bars but why?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I was looking at caltracs, what’s the big difference between the two? I have also heard that they are better than long trac bars but why?

Basically, you can adjust then so that as the axle rotates it applys load to the leafs stiffening them as well as stopping axle wrap. As it does this it allows the drivetrain to "give" in a sense and give the rears a better chance of not breaking loose. It also allows weight transfer to change and you can adjust anti-squat to a certain degree. If your front is hopping/spinning, you know the rear is too.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
so do you want the rear to squat for weight shift or not? I really can't get an answer on this. I have gathered that on a 2wd you want as much weight shift as you can get, but no clue on 4wd. would make sense that you want some since they are the light wheels, assuming you can keep the front end under control

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
so do you want the rear to squat for weight shift or not? I really can't get an answer on this. I have gathered that on a 2wd you want as much weight shift as you can get, but no clue on 4wd. would make sense that you want some since they are the light wheels, assuming you can keep the front end under control

You want some but not too much. Just how much really depends on what works for your truck. When you get into this much power and speeds, there is no written way on what works best. Its what works best on your truck. Your truck is gunna need its on special setup since your so heavy, liftee and on 35s

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Your truck is a bit more unique than most of us run, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Ive always been under the impression that long bars are better suited for sledpulling than drag racing. That said, if they are working, no need to fix what isnt broke.
I think Stingpuller or Neens may know a bit more about how to use pinion angle to your advantage.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Ok thanks for the info guys-yea I know I'm out there with this lifted drag stuff, but hell got to be different, right? I just want to get some ideas and understand what is going on before I start changing stuff on the truck.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Its really hard to understand everything when someone removes all of a participants post. Why not just remove the whole damn thread?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
X2. Also andrew, id look at loosin the long bars and runnin a set of cal-tracs if possible. You can fine tune them in off spring pressure to help make that rear end grab and keep on grabbing. Axle wrap is only half the battle at the strip, keeping traction in the rear is the next.

A set of adjustable qa1 all around and cal tracs and ill bet once you get it all dialed in, she will launch like a bat out of hell. Its gunna take a good amount of track time to get it right though. Make sure you have someone who can video every launch or mount two go-pros to watch the front and rear suspension to see what its doin

James any clue if they even make a shock that would fit a 6 inch lift or am I looking at fabing my own mounts?
Edit google shows me I can make one work up front but I'm going to have to change the mounts up for the rear

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/...nd-struts/stocker-star/double-adjustable.html

Last edited: