Setting up suspension

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Qa1 doesnt make a 12" stroke shock? What size block you runnin the rear? Add a leaf or no?

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
It is a 5 inch block; I would have to move both mounts closer for it to work. I hate how big the block is, but I'm going to cut it down at least 2 inches to make it sit level after I drop the front end all the way down with the 35s. Maybe even take it down 3 inches. I want to get all new springs when I have money.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I would have to move the mounts something like 6-8 inches closer, guess I can but I don't have the coin for 4 qa1s and a locker right now....

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

Sorry man. My tapatalk must have royally screwed up and didn't show a single post of yours. I even went to this thread twice and it did the same thing, omitted all of your posts. It was pissing me off and really struck me as that someone here had omitted your post on purpose.:rofl:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It is a 5 inch block; I would have to move both mounts closer for it to work. I hate how big the block is, but I'm going to cut it down at least 2 inches to make it sit level after I drop the front end all the way down with the 35s. Maybe even take it down 3 inches. I want to get all new springs when I have money.

Well im sittin on a 4" block and can easily go to a 2" with the front fully dropped and stay level so 3" for you may not be a bad idea unless you gunna crank the front a bit for DDing.

Only about the ranchos is when you turn the knob, you change rebound and compression at the same time and can not tune them individually. Wish i could say they will work well but dont know as ive not used them

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
That’s why I'm going to 35s-keep the Tbars all the way down even DDing. I think having the compression/rebound is really important up front, but I can get away with 9000 in the rear for what I'm doing. IDK I'm prob wrong. Other issue I'm running into is I might have to mess with the A arms to get the camber I want-there were not meant to run all the way down like that.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Sorry man. My tapatalk must have royally screwed up and didn't show a single post of yours. I even went to this thread twice and it did the same thing, omitted all of your posts. It was pissing me off and really struck me as that someone here had omitted your post on purpose.:rofl:

I don't say that many stupid things do I???? I mean they still let bri bri post so why would they censor me???? :hug:

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Now from what I understand, long trac bars do more lifting of the front end than the short bars/ caltracs? But with my high CG if I can control the lift up front with shocks will this work out for me? Or will the high CG hurt me even more and drive me towards caltracs anyways?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That’s why I'm going to 35s-keep the Tbars all the way down even DDing. I think having the compression/rebound is really important up front, but I can get away with 9000 in the rear for what I'm doing. IDK I'm prob wrong. Other issue I'm running into is I might have to mess with the A arms to get the camber I want-there were not meant to run all the way down like that.

i would be thinking the same with you on the 9000s.

Now from what I understand, long trac bars do more lifting of the front end than the short bars/ caltracs? But with my high CG if I can control the lift up front with shocks will this work out for me? Or will the high CG hurt me even more and drive me towards caltracs anyways?

Your so long, CG doesnt have as much affect. Taking corners yes bit that aint what we are doin. Distribution of load has more affect than your CG.

I see you benifiting more from a cal trac setup than the long bars but id run whay you have now, dial it all in amd see what you can get for 60s first before ditching the long bars. I cant say ive read anyone who has tried that before switching.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lots of good info but you can not adjust alot of those variables so you have to work around what you have. Dedinitly take some of that into account but remember, your not a drag car, not 2wd, you have twice the torque, and weight twice as much lol so dont get too invloved with what they are talking about.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Oh I know, but same forces are working. Honestly I have put little thought (relatively) into this before. And there just isn’t much out there for us. Lots of guys say well run this-but I want to know why I’m running that. I know I will never be smart enough to be a suspension guy, but I want to get the basics down so I don’t just throw money at this trying stuff. esp since no one has really pushed a lifted truck before-I'm just digigng for any and all info I can

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh I know, but same forces are working. Honestly I have put little thought (relatively) into this before. And there just isn’t much out there for us. Lots of guys say well run this-but I want to know why I’m running that. I know I will never be smart enough to be a suspension guy, but I want to get the basics down so I don’t just throw money at this trying stuff. esp since no one has really pushed a lifted truck before-I'm just digigng for any and all info I can

For sure.