Searching too long

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Guys i need to make a decision. I have been searching/reading up and down on turbos and cant make up my mind. I am never ever going to want to make more then 700-750hp. I have a 2003 cc/sb lts kind of restored truck, i went through everything on it besides the interior and the engine. I use the truck as a truck and would like to keep it that way. It has a built tranny, lift pump, new injectors as of 186,000. Has 216,000 now. My dad bought the truck used with 22,000 miles on it and used and abused it for many many years, towing weight over the limit of the truck and plowed for 4 years with it and beat the snot out of it. I am expecting this engine to let go as i keep turning it up so im not really that worried about which charger i get.

So my question to you guys, is the t4 options really that much better vs the t3. I have really been leaning towards the industrial injections phatshaft for quite some time but the more and more i read, all you fellas say to stick with the t4. any input would be great

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
well i mean i kind of like that turbo because of the fact that it is waste gated. Why do you say steer clear?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
II is junk.... plenty of threads to represent their piss poor quality. There are plenty of gated turbos that are quality and will last.

Where are you located?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Upstate NY around here Rome area. So ii is junk? I don't understand how ii can't make a junk s300. Aren't all s300 turbos the same innards? Shafts and housings no matter what you buy like say bw vs ii ? I'm not fighting what you guys say just don't understand

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
based on their fuel system components that fail on start up, which aren't made by them I would say no, not all parts are made equal.

Industrial Injection has a real reputation for being sub par on quality. Some guys get lucky, most do not. It's your money, and like I said many guys have had good luck, but for the price and pain of doing the work and wrecking the motor, I'd rather not rely on being lucky.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
There is no issues with the ii phat shaft 66. I have around 50+ kit out and most the guys there on here and df that tun them.

If it was the reman injectors it's hit and miss the in house. The Bosch new there fine and modded pumps that's hit and miss with a few brands.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Just switched my II Silver Bullet back to my stock charger, wasn't really happy with the way the turbo acted. Even had other tuners, ATP and DuramaxTuner pretuned ECMs I've had from the past and the turbo was just laggy, spooled good with lots of foot but EGTs were higher than my liking. Towing wasn't any better, I'd have spent money on another kit if I'd have known but you live and you learn. A friend has the same kit I've got and loves it but he isn't as picky as me. It's all up to you but the T4 stuff is much better IMO. Depends on what your goals are and what you do day to day

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Just switched my II Silver Bullet back to my stock charger, wasn't really happy with the way the turbo acted. Even had other tuners, ATP and DuramaxTuner pretuned ECMs I've had from the past and the turbo was just laggy, spooled good with lots of foot but EGTs were higher than my liking. Towing wasn't any better, I'd have spent money on another kit if I'd have known but you live and you learn. A friend has the same kit I've got and loves it but he isn't as picky as me. It's all up to you but the T4 stuff is much better IMO. Depends on what your goals are and what you do day to day

So you tried running pretuned ecm's and tunes you had from the past on a new setup.

I would of looked into what's going on more before removing. I have enough guys that use this turbo daily for towing plowing and racing.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
So you tried running pretuned ecm's and tunes you had from the past on a new setup.

I would of looked into what's going on more before removing. I have enough guys that use this turbo daily for towing plowing and racing.

Any idea the most hp one of them is pushing it to?

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
The ECMs were retuned for when I got the new turbo, what I was saying is I tried my old ECMs with new tunes and wasn't very satisfied but it's just my opinion. It was a great turbo just not exactly what I was looking for so I put my stock charger back on and eventually going a different route. Should have specified that they were retuned. Every setup varies

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I towed 25k with mine on my max effort tune in October & it did fine. I had to dial back to my 30hp tune when I got a nasty head wind but it would still pull it as fast as I wanted to go. My EGT's never went above 1200 even when I laid into it.

Mine was laggy to but I ended up screwing in that small set screws on the 90 degree fitting, that helped tremendously. I think in doing so it blocked off air to my wastegate though, I could be wrong though.

Yellowchevy

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The ECMs were retuned for when I got the new turbo, what I was saying is I tried my old ECMs with new tunes and wasn't very satisfied but it's just my opinion. It was a great turbo just not exactly what I was looking for so I put my stock charger back on and eventually going a different route. Should have specified that they were retuned. Every setup varies

I bumped one of your old threads up that had some ? Left unanswered in it. What setup you running now before said you had a stock motor with head and main studs. The. You had a motor build with rods and pistons that was not finished. I see your sig says ARP Head and Main Studs, Industrial Injection Girdle is this in the stock motor or built motor ? Would think you would be going larger on turbo or twins or something with mods.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
The main and head studs were originally in a stock LLY but over time I got a core and built the engine just to be more reliable for future advancements without the risk of hurting anything. Every thing in my signature is from my built motor, I put the stock charger back on with plans to possibly have YellowChevy rebuild it in due time so the truck is usable. The stock motor is going back in soon as well as the trans so I can completely redo my setup. Sorry for the confusion I may be decently new to the forum and everything but this isn't my first duramax or build motor. I was just stating my opinion about what I was doing, charger may have been to small, yes should've went larger but you can only spend what you have when your ready, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest with anyone about any setups, 2 identical trucks with identical mods will always run slightly different. I should specify more on my signature and that is my fault, but like anyone else on here with opinions about different setups I was just stating mine. :thumb:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I towed 25k with mine on my max effort tune in October & it did fine. I had to dial back to my 30hp tune when I got a nasty head wind but it would still pull it as fast as I wanted to go. My EGT's never went above 1200 even when I laid into it.

Mine was laggy to but I ended up screwing in that small set screws on the 90 degree fitting, that helped tremendously. I think in doing so it blocked off air to my wastegate though, I could be wrong though.

Yellowchevy

That's the adjustable boost elbow.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The main and head studs were originally in a stock LLY but over time I got a core and built the engine just to be more reliable for future advancements without the risk of hurting anything. Every thing in my signature is from my built motor, I put the stock charger back on with plans to possibly have YellowChevy rebuild it in due time so the truck is usable. The stock motor is going back in soon as well as the trans so I can completely redo my setup. Sorry for the confusion I may be decently new to the forum and everything but this isn't my first duramax or build motor. I was just stating my opinion about what I was doing, charger may have been to small, yes should've went larger but you can only spend what you have when your ready, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest with anyone about any setups, 2 identical trucks with identical mods will always run slightly different. I should specify more on my signature and that is my fault, but like anyone else on here with opinions about different setups I was just stating mine. :thumb:

At the time of your install the motor was still stock with head and main studs as said in your thread. This turbo works on stock to built motors so worry there. Few guys asked you about the setup you were running. I bumped that thread back up we can move over to there.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Ok thanks, I should've specified more on what I had going on at the time, just didn't update everything as needed. Thanks for the bump, of anyone has any questions feel free to ask

dmaxbowtie

Duramax fiend
Jun 2, 2011
RI
How about any of the modified ihi's? I had a htt s366 on my truck and hurt 2 stock bottom ends. The turbo was slightly slower than stock spool up but felt good overall. If I were doing another stock bottom end I would consider a modified ihi.