Searching too long

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I have been looking pretty deep into modified ihi's too. Just like the fact that it can't be pushed harder if the stock bottom end fails they all have stock turbines, so mid 650 tops with lots of fuel. I would have to imagine two stock bottom ends failed for you because of your tuning not the s366 fault. Could be wrong though

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Talk to YellowChevy. He's done some IHI's and made some great gains. He may be able to shed some light on the IHI's for you. I may be having him beef up my LLY stocker soon

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I love the stock turbo that YellowChevy did on my rig now that i got the boost leaks taken care of. granted there is a s475 in front of it but still, its made a noticable difference in the butt dyno. im VERY happy with the work he did to my turbo.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
i like the dts 64 gains, and talked to yellowchevy already about the mods he can do on the stock turbo. But like i said, when that engine goes, is when i dont want to have to spend more money on a turbo lol. Just spend my life savings on building the engine. Thats why i want to do some type of 66mm or even that new s368 the jdub was talking about. the 68/73 that htt offers. So many frican options that i cant decide

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If your going to go bigger wheel, I'd suggest going with something other than the stock turbine and housing. That's the killer on the stock setup

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I am very happy with my II Silver Bullet. I don't think it is laggy at all. Very close to stock. I use the truck to tow occasionally, plow snow,haul firewood and construction materials, daily drive and it performs great. The install kit was complete and Henry has them at a good price. I think it is a great turbo for a truck that still gets used as a truck. Mine is a 66/74/14 and I'm running the stock trans tune.

I was thinking of the turbo lag logging thread so I tested it the other day and with no sprcial 5th gear only trans tune just rolling into it light enough so it won't downshift out of 5th torque converter locked.( a real world situation) 1500 rpm zero boost to 20 psi was well under 5 seconds. I wasn't logging and didn't have a stopwatch just counting in my head.

If I wanted to build a do it all truck I would pick this turbo, an HTT66, or stock twins.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
chris thanks alot. I am not all that worried about spool. I feel that with a slower spool it will probably help my rods stick around for a little longer so a little sounds good to me. I rode in a couple dodge cummins with s366, one being a phatshaft and one being a fleece performance s366. Both were really really laggy, they both had 125hp injectors and 85% over cp3 so plenty of fuel, i understand the displacement plays a role but i was surprised on how long it took. There egts were pretty damn high too.

How are the egts on that s366? with persay a bigger tune on stock fuel?

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
The egt's while lightly accelerating are similar to what I saw with the stock turbo and big tune. Running it hard they are lower. I don't think I've seen over 1400* yet in the same situations I'd see over 1600* with the stocker. In my opinion the truck is more usable with a big tune in it. I wouldn't tow with a big tune with the stocker and I don't hesitate to now.