Scheid 09 results

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
One thing to consider about WS today.

With the advent of new tech and new model trucks, for the first time all three brands can be represented closer than ever before. A 6.7 Dodge, a 6.4 Ford, and a Dmax running factory untouched chargers can all go over 500rwhp if I understand it correctly. Yes, if you have an early Dodge, you won't be competitive, but you've never been competitive with a 6.5 GM or a 7.3 Ford in WS, and nobody seemed to mind.

I think that would be an excellent class to improve diesel technology where it will do the most good. Factory untouched turbos, factory single pumps. Screw the cross-bolts and hoops.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I would love to see true WS come back.

x2...The NADM rules at Numidia (Workstock, 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 and unlimited) seemed about right to me.

Playing devil's advocate - The only downside I could see, not to me but to Scheid and his crew, would be the amount of "off the street" guys hooking to the sled. It could be more work than those guys want to deal with...new pullers, carnage, attitudes, etc.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yes, but that was everyone at one point.

Two "first time" pullers took less time combined to hook & pull than it took one single SS truck to hook, spool up, then pull at the AV pull. So it's not just the newbies that chew up time.

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Yes, but that was everyone at one point.

Two "first time" pullers took less time combined to hook & pull than it took one single SS truck to hook, spool up, then pull at the AV pull. So it's not just the newbies that chew up time.

I have never been involved but don't some places have a "time limit" for that? Our sled guy would have been having babies if we took that long :D

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I really like what FPP has been doing this year. At their pulls, they allow "local" trucks (from the county and contiguous counties of the pull) to enter the event. At the one I went to in June, they had a separate "local-yokel" class. As I understand this coming weekend, the "locals" will get lumped into the "2.6" class. (whatever the heck they call it)

That's fine with me. I have no expectation of winning against built trucks; but I also have never embarrassed myself pulling with them, and I HAVE FUN!

Frankly, at a big national event, WS can get pretty boring. I was at Indy as a spectator in '05 (I think?) and there were 80+ WS trucks and it was pretty tedious watching them all...JMHO....

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
Exactly minisub! Everyone seems to forget that sled pulls happen because people like to come watch them.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yes, I have heard that before. One option is to limit entries. But what a non-pulling fan finds exciting might not necessarily be in the best interests of the sport (other than the promoters).

Monster Trucks are very successful from a spectator viewpoint. A single large corporation owns many of the trucks, and they deliberately break some of them during the event. They stage certain features to enhance the experience.

This could certainly be done with diesel pickup pulling as well. One company brings out about 20 different Mod trucks, and adds bumper pulls (some bumpers come off), and some "head-to-head" action as well. This could turn the sport into a true money-maker.

But there is also something to said for one of the oldest tricks in entertaining people: The Buildup. You get the fans started off slow, and build the show up to a finale. Watching pickups that look exactly like what many of the fans own or have seen in dealer lots try to pull the sled, then dialing them up slowly to insane levels, makes for good entertainment. If most the trucks look the same, pull the same distance, and the only way you can tell what's up is the announcer calling out "This is the 2.8 Inch Class!", then for the non-enthusiast, they see 200 of the same trucks pull, even if it's actually 3 classes. They all are hanging weights, blowing smoke, and doing the same thing.

I think bigger shows or county fairs should start out by getting 3 trucks (brought in by local dealers) Ford, Dodge, Dmax, and pull "as delivered" as the opener.

Then WS, trucks must appear stock. Yeah, 80 would be a bit much, so there would be a cutoff.

Then the big charger classes, then the Mod's.

Basically show the progression possible with these trucks.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
To add to Pat's comment on progression...

My brother is new to the sport (doesn't own a pickup yet, but wants a Dmax :D) and went to a couple pulls with me this year. He mentioned to me the other day, after telling him about Scheids, that he would like to see something similar to what Pat is talking about. He said to leave the sled the same weight for the different classes (maybe stock, workstock, 2.6, 2.8) to get a sense of the power that the mods on each truck are making. You could see the progression with the distance in plain view.

To add to my previous comment about Scheid not wanting to deal with off the street trucks...with a 2.6 rule like was in place it was definately geared toward the experienced puller. That would, in my mind at least, eliminate some of the responsibilty of the track crew so that they could make sure the show runs smooth. Iirc, there was not a driver's meeting out there either.

I agree that they need a true workstock class though, don't forget what got you to where you are.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
To add to Pat's comment on progression...

My brother is new to the sport (doesn't own a pickup yet, but wants a Dmax :D) and went to a couple pulls with me this year. He mentioned to me the other day, after telling him about Scheids, that he would like to see something similar to what Pat is talking about. He said to leave the sled the same weight for the different classes (maybe stock, workstock, 2.6, 2.8) to get a sense of the power that the mods on each truck are making. You could see the progression with the distance in plain view.

To add to my previous comment about Scheid not wanting to deal with off the street trucks...with a 2.6 rule like was in place it was definately geared toward the experienced puller. That would, in my mind at least, eliminate some of the responsibilty of the track crew so that they could make sure the show runs smooth. Iirc, there was not a driver's meeting out there either.

I agree that they need a true workstock class though, don't forget what got you to where you are.

The main problem with leaving the sled the same weight would be that most venues (sp?) do not have enough room to allow that. There would be 100ft to 150ft difference between WS and 2.8 class if not more. If you where at a track that only had enough room for a 300ft track then you'd have to set the sled up to stop the WS class guys the 150ft mark. Which is no fun and very hard on the trucks. JMHO

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
I don't believe that would be the case. Twice the HP won't move the sled twice as far.
On a good WS truck we can put 20 to 40'
a good 2.6 truck will put 10 on 20' on us
a 2.8 should get that 10 to 20' on the 2.6 but it is all very dependent on many other factors.
IMO, I could see a hundred foot difference very easily

On edit we have put 40' on a 2.8truck & another that rocked the rollers at 750hp :D It's so hard to compare on the dirt

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There is often a 100' diff in the all the classes in qualifying.

A good WS truck with 500+ hp will get the sled moving early then fade. Normally it will choke shortly before the weight is all the way up. Even the Mod's won't pull 100' with the weight up.

The goal would be to see the difference in classes. If a hot WS goes 150? Think of what the crowd sees when the Mod's go 325'+.

If you are doing it for the fans, then make the playing field level. If you are doing it for the diesel truck participants, then run a WS. When the 2.6's pull further than the 3.0's, then what kind of show are you doing?

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
Depends on the track and day, my 2.6 truck vs. 3.0 trucks that run with us are sometimes as close as 20ft and sometimes up to 55ft differences. They are about twice the hp as us 2.6 trucks.

BSwope

Sep 3, 2008
Basically we were discussing the rules eliminating the stock charger/daily driver trucks, Dmaxs finishing well
PHP:
even if the rules favor cummins powered trucks,
Van Haisley's claim of 900 hp to be competitive in 2.6, the sled breakage, TNRGreene's carnage, and Troy Wakeman's unique sounding truck.

Cliff notes :D

Now thats some funny stuff right there........:rolleyes:

BSwope

Sep 3, 2008
The reason for WS changing to a 2.6" turbo wasn't because the 6.5's and 7.3's weren't competitive with stock chargers. ;)

What do you think the reason was?[/QUOTE

IMHO the main reason I see was to limit the amount of class's.....

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The reason for WS changing to a 2.6" turbo wasn't because the 6.5's and 7.3's weren't competitive with stock chargers. ;)

What do you think the reason was?

IMHO the main reason I see was to limit the amount of class's.....

But in the process, it made the stock charger Duramax (which dominated the WS class) uncompetitive.

I think not only will WS return, it will be the most closely watched class. Any of the three brands could dominate now, and it will reflect how mean you can really make a street truck.