sac45 idle

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Somewhere, USA :)
For what it is worth, hot idle (660 RPM), A/C on in park, 110°F ambient, 91kPa baro, I am at 44 MPa desired, 6.0° timing, and 12.7° pilot actual, which sounds as dumb to be as it does to everyone else. But it cleaned it up pretty good.

Main timing:
View attachment 124650

Pilot timing:
View attachment 124651

I can share this whole tune if anyone wants to try it, I'd be curious how it runs on other sets of S&S SAC45s, as that would tell me if it is one bad set I got, or they are all just a bit whack.
I'd appreciate if you would share the tune. I'm currently working on my own LB7 with SAC45s from LDS.

I plan to share my DSP tune when I get it all dialed in. I'm currently working on a touchy pedal, and cleaning up haze.

Reactions: gmc502

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Here is the tune for my S&S SAC45 injectors. Besides the idle haze/smell (which is greatly reduced with this tune), it runs well. Probably the same ballpark on power as my original NoLogic 3.0, but I turned this rig down since I was limping the (cheaply) built transmission (2nd gear would slip as soon as lockup hit). So feel free to crank up the max PW a little, but mainly I am curious to hear if it addresses the idle smell others are experiencing.

@Lennydmaxguy I have a tune for the Lincoln Diesel in-house SAC45 injectors in my brother's trucks, but I am not quite ready to share that. I will check with him this weekend to see if I got the last little quirks ironed out, then I will post that in its own thread (and link here), since I consider that to be a pretty good tune for the LDS injectors.

Attachments

• NoLogic 3.1 S&S SAC45 Beta 0020.zip
    310.8 KB · Views: 10

blueshift

Jan 29, 2024
Raleigh
For what it is worth, I have several sets of SAC injectors from different vendors with very different experiences.
  1. SAC75 from Lincoln Diesel (bought in 2016 so actually S&S injectors) in my race motor. These have been phenomenal, full thread here. I need to post another update, these are still kicking ass. If I could go back in time and buy 4 more sets of these, I would.
  2. 2x SAC45 from Lincoln Diesel (their in-house injectors) in my brother's trucks. These are good. They tuned in way different than my SAC75s, but weren't that hard to get dialed. I never publicly shared this tune, but I should, and might soon. They run even stronger than my +175HP (No Logic 3.0) tune, since I can get the fuel in quicker at more optimal timing.
  3. SAC45 from S&S (just out of warranty). These have the issues described in this thread. Haze & stink badly at idle, from the day they were new. Makes the SAC75s in my low-compression race motor look crystal clean by comparison. They do clean up off idle and make good power, but recently one cylinder has started intermittently dropping out entirely, literally 2 months out of warranty. Extremely dissapointed, I should have bought the cheaper Lincoln Diesel set like my brother did. Might just be one bad set, but given what people are posting here, I am thinking not...

I have a RoadRunner ECU that I can adjust while the engine runs, and I spent hours trying to clean this junk up when they were new to no avail. I am running a stupid amount of timing and fuel pressure at idle to get it so I can breathe at stop lights. Pilot timing did make a difference, but also required fuel pressure and timing to remain high, and the pilot timing required varies with the base timing, so I am not sure what value sharing this tune would have unless you guys are willing to run stupid timing at idle.

My S&S SAC45s don't seem anywhere near as bad as yours seem to be.

I've never once smelled them in the cab, even with the windows down.

Around the back of the truck, you can definitely smell them, but it's relatively tolerable, IMO. I'll catch a slight, but noticeable, haze in the car headlights behind me at a stoplight at night. That's about as bad as they get. It's not terrible, but it's enough to bother my OCD self.

I too was up at +4 main timing plus +5.5 pilot (and technically plus the pilot pulse). The difference with mine was that the -4 to +4 change made virtually no difference in the haze, while the 4.5 to 5.5 in the pilot did.

Bumping up the pilot timing was the last tune revision that I did before some unfortunate life events; I literally haven't touched it since. I need to get back to it and finish it up (hopefully). I also considered posting up my tune once I get the pilot sorted, because it really drives awesome everywhere else. It's more of an 'optimized stock' tune than a very high performance one.

Reactions: gmc502 and DAVe3283

Vmyrhaug

2003 lb7sac45 35" 20x12 fjallasport flares
Mar 6, 2016
Norway
before i saw this today, i copied lly pilot timing table in my tune, and tuned the car. no other diffrence, and, that small smell of fuel was gone, completly gone. smell only exhaust now. but, main ign idle is now 5degress before tdc. now i'm on a trip, but will be more testing when i get home👌

Reactions: gmc502 and DAVe3283

Vmyrhaug

2003 lb7sac45 35" 20x12 fjallasport flares
Mar 6, 2016
Norway
My S&S SAC45s don't seem anywhere near as bad as yours seem to be.

I've never once smelled them in the cab, even with the windows down.

Around the back of the truck, you can definitely smell them, but it's relatively tolerable, IMO. I'll catch a slight, but noticeable, haze in the car headlights behind me at a stoplight at night. That's about as bad as they get. It's not terrible, but it's enough to bother my OCD self.

I too was up at +4 main timing plus +5.5 pilot (and technically plus the pilot pulse). The difference with mine was that the -4 to +4 change made virtually no difference in the haze, while the 4.5 to 5.5 in the pilot did.

Bumping up the pilot timing was the last tune revision that I did before some unfortunate life events; I literally haven't touched it since. I need to get back to it and finish it up (hopefully). I also considered posting up my tune once I get the pilot sorted, because it really drives awesome everywhere else. It's more of an 'optimized stock' tune than a very high performance one.
mine was not bad, only when i was standing by exhaust i noticed fuel smell. tiny tiny. noe its complete gone with lly pilit timing table, noticed only 2 degress diffrence in table at idle, but i se huge diffrence in higher rpm light load. hope milage goes up now👌

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Thanks Dave, I’m going to try too. I’m running a hybrid tune now, about 60/40-70/30 my tuning and someone else’s that I payed for a long time ago for my ‘04. I’ve been fighting defueling issues that I’ve been struggling with, but don’t spend the time I should/need to work on it. But it’s way better than when I started. I used Jason’s calc but it didn’t seem to work on my rig lol. I will contend that I have my idle working pretty well. I did spend a good amount of time on that. I’m pretty sure I adjusted every table at idle except pilot lol.

Reactions: DAVe3283