sac45 idle

blueshift

Jan 29, 2024
Raleigh
I'm going to start pointing fingers at the Lincoln diesel injectors.

Mine are brand new S&S, bought through Brad about 4 months ago.

They're completely perfect otherwise. Great balance rates, run completely perfect and clean at WOT, getting fantastic fuel mileage (as good or better than the stock VCOs, though not until I switched to an LLY pilot timing table).

That experience with fuel mileage and the pilot timing again makes me think I just need to spend some more time with the pilot tuning at idle.

Reactions: Bdsankey

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

They're completely perfect otherwise. Great balance rates, run completely perfect and clean at WOT, getting fantastic fuel mileage (as good or better than the stock VCOs, though not until I switched to an LLY pilot timing table).

That experience with fuel mileage and the pilot timing again makes me think I just need to spend some more time with the pilot tuning at idle.

4yrs ago they'd have been S&S. LDS got cutoff 2-2.5yrs ago from S&S because Lauren and team don't understand how to read a price sheet and follow MAP limits.
This...

Something doesn't add up

Vmyrhaug

2003 lb7sac45 35" 20x12 fjallasport flares
Mar 6, 2016
Norway

That experience with fuel mileage and the pilot timing again makes me think I just need to spend some more time with the pilot tuning at idle
as bd says, mine is probably s&s. they are great in power, no smoke, but have a very small fuel smell att idle, and milage with me is about the same as voc, but i used daves tune on voc, and had 33" tires then, after installed sac i went for 35" tires. also when i did injectors, i ported turbo, made 3" ybride. so engine is getting air easy in low load..

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
This...

Something doesn't add up
What doesn't add up? OP is doing his own tuning using stock LB7 pilot tables.

Blueshift is also tuning his own truck and just switched over to LLY pilot tables and it made a massive difference, otherwise (from what I've gathered) he had the same type of issue previously.

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway

Blueshift is also tuning his own truck and just switched over to LLY pilot tables and it made a massive difference, otherwise (from what I've gathered) he had the same type of issue previously.
lly pilot tables is the trick?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
As I stated a few posts ago, I don't write tuning but have compared some files and noticed differences in those tables and others that make sense based on nozzle design.

Those who actually write tuning that have commented are stating the LLY pilot tables have made a major improvement. It's worth a shot that's for sure. Using an OEM designed SAC nozzle pilot table would be a better place to start instead of a VCO pilot table. The $$$ GM dropped on R&D/calibration updates to meet OEM emissions standards is huge.

blueshift

Jan 29, 2024
Raleigh
This...

Something doesn't add up

Sorry, I made this confusing by overtaking vmyrhaug's post. He's the OP, has the 4-year old injectors from LDS.

I have 4-month old injectors from S&S / bdsankey.

I'll bow out now, apologies.

LLY pilot timing tables made a substantial difference in cruising fuel mileage for me, and a small but noticeable difference in idle hazing. I haven't played with pilot quantity tables yet.

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
As I stated a few posts ago, I don't write tuning but have compared some files and noticed differences in those tables and others that make sense based on nozzle design.

Those who actually write tuning that have commented are stating the LLY pilot tables have made a major improvement. It's worth a shot that's for sure. Using an OEM designed SAC nozzle pilot table would be a better place to start instead of a VCO pilot table. The $$$ GM dropped on R&D/calibration updates to meet OEM emissions standards is huge.
then i will try the lly pilot table👌 ofcourse, have been nice too got sac pilot table, but i doo understand that share that after using much time getting it right is no go..

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway

and since i live in norway(a small country north in europe), i do changes on car now and then, and like too play with tuning myself. much i learn from this forum. ofcourse, best have been to buy a tune from someone who really knows this, but then its locked, so i need to buy a new tune when i doo some changes..

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

I think I misunderstood. It sounded like he got S&S injectors from LDS four months ago. I didn't notice he mentioned your name. And it was OP that got them from LDS. Four months, four years. All the same 😂

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Sorry, I made this confusing by overtaking vmyrhaug's post. He's the OP, has the 4-year old injectors from LDS.

I have 4-month old injectors from S&S / bdsankey.

I'll bow out now, apologies.

LLY pilot timing tables made a substantial difference in cruising fuel mileage for me, and a small but noticeable difference in idle hazing. I haven't played with pilot quantity tables yet.
No reason to bow out, you're offering valid feedback on what you (someone tuning your own SAC45 injectors) are doing which is the same issue he's having.
then i will try the lly pilot table👌 ofcourse, have been nice too got sac pilot table, but i doo understand that share that after using much time getting it right is no go..
You are getting a SAC pilot table. LLY+ injectors are SAC. There are also various files listed on this site that are open source you can reference and try.

Also you can reference one of the 2 other posts you had made in the past that do seem to have some fairly good information.

03/2021: https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/sac45-tuning.87625/, this one also links to @DAVe3283 post on SAC inj life and references another user's post about the same issue (THEFERMANATOR).
11/2021: https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/sac45-tune.88265/

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
I think I misunderstood. It sounded like he got S&S injectors from LDS four months ago. I didn't notice he mentioned your name. And it was OP that got them from LDS. Four months, four years. All the same 😂
could be 5 years also...

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
For what it is worth, I have several sets of SAC injectors from different vendors with very different experiences.
  1. SAC75 from Lincoln Diesel (bought in 2016 so actually S&S injectors) in my race motor. These have been phenomenal, full thread here. I need to post another update, these are still kicking ass. If I could go back in time and buy 4 more sets of these, I would.
  2. 2x SAC45 from Lincoln Diesel (their in-house injectors) in my brother's trucks. These are good. They tuned in way different than my SAC75s, but weren't that hard to get dialed. I never publicly shared this tune, but I should, and might soon. They run even stronger than my +175HP (No Logic 3.0) tune, since I can get the fuel in quicker at more optimal timing.
  3. SAC45 from S&S (just out of warranty). These have the issues described in this thread. Haze & stink badly at idle, from the day they were new. Makes the SAC75s in my low-compression race motor look crystal clean by comparison. They do clean up off idle and make good power, but recently one cylinder has started intermittently dropping out entirely, literally 2 months out of warranty. Extremely dissapointed, I should have bought the cheaper Lincoln Diesel set like my brother did. Might just be one bad set, but given what people are posting here, I am thinking not...

I have a RoadRunner ECU that I can adjust while the engine runs, and I spent hours trying to clean this junk up when they were new to no avail. I am running a stupid amount of timing and fuel pressure at idle to get it so I can breathe at stop lights. Pilot timing did make a difference, but also required fuel pressure and timing to remain high, and the pilot timing required varies with the base timing, so I am not sure what value sharing this tune would have unless you guys are willing to run stupid timing at idle.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
For what it is worth, I have several sets of SAC injectors from different vendors with very different experiences.
  1. SAC75 from Lincoln Diesel (bought in 2016 so actually S&S injectors) in my race motor. These have been phenomenal, full thread here. I need to post another update, these are still kicking ass. If I could go back in time and buy 4 more sets of these, I would.
  2. 2x SAC45 from Lincoln Diesel (their in-house injectors) in my brother's trucks. These are good. They tuned in way different than my SAC75s, but weren't that hard to get dialed. I never publicly shared this tune, but I should, and might soon. They run even stronger than my +175HP (No Logic 3.0) tune, since I can get the fuel in quicker at more optimal timing.
  3. SAC45 from S&S (just out of warranty). These have the issues described in this thread. Haze & stink badly at idle, from the day they were new. Makes the SAC75s in my low-compression race motor look crystal clean by comparison. They do clean up off idle and make good power, but recently one cylinder has started intermittently dropping out entirely, literally 2 months out of warranty. Extremely dissapointed, I should have bought the cheaper Lincoln Diesel set like my brother did. Might just be one bad set, but given what people are posting here, I am thinking not...

I have a RoadRunner ECU that I can adjust while the engine runs, and I spent hours trying to clean this junk up when they were new to no avail. I am running a stupid amount of timing and fuel pressure at idle to get it so I can breathe at stop lights. Pilot timing did make a difference, but also required fuel pressure and timing to remain high, and the pilot timing required varies with the base timing, so I am not sure what value sharing this tune would have unless you guys are willing to run stupid timing at idle.
would be really nice too se the tune of your brothers, the smell is not bad in mine, its like going by an old 6,5td with good injectors, not bad, but need too do something. they are clean, and my milage is a little low. good power att wot👌

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
For what it is worth, hot idle (660 RPM), A/C on in park, 110°F ambient, 91kPa baro, I am at 44 MPa desired, 6.0° timing, and 12.7° pilot actual, which sounds as dumb to be as it does to everyone else. But it cleaned it up pretty good.

Main timing:
1720654911036.png

Pilot timing:
1720654972943.png

I can share this whole tune if anyone wants to try it, I'd be curious how it runs on other sets of S&S SAC45s, as that would tell me if it is one bad set I got, or they are all just a bit whack.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
For what it is worth, hot idle (660 RPM), A/C on in park, 110°F ambient, 91kPa baro, I am at 44 MPa desired, 6.0° timing, and 12.7° pilot actual, which sounds as dumb to be as it does to everyone else. But it cleaned it up pretty good.

Main timing:
View attachment 124650

Pilot timing:
View attachment 124651

I can share this whole tune if anyone wants to try it, I'd be curious how it runs on other sets of S&S SAC45s, as that would tell me if it is one bad set I got, or they are all just a bit whack.
i could try it if u want too share👌

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
My SAC tune has 1 or 2deg of main at idle. I can try to use those tables on one of the trucks I tuned, he's coming back soon for a pump change update