Rotate transfer case on 180deg

lexa

Oct 28, 2012
Moscow
Hi!
I want to rotate on 180deg 261 or 263 transfer case. If I weld or close upper holes and do something with oil pump will it work?
What do you think about this?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Do you mean so the yoke for the front driveshaft will be on the pass side instead of driver side?

If that is what you mean I would guess no because the oil pump pickup would be at the top sucking air instead of oil

Maybe someone else will chime in but there might be another transfer case that will bolt up directly or maybe with an adapter, I have messed with adapters before with older GM transfercases.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Hi!
I want to rotate on 180deg 261 or 263 transfer case. If I weld or close upper holes and do something with oil pump will it work?
What do you think about this?

Just out of curiosity what are you trying to do with this? us it in a Pass side diff truck like a 73-87?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm sure you could do something custom for the oil pump pickup, and you would also have to modify the vent hole, and probably some of the oil passages for like the rear housing and front bearing since the ends are lubricated via splash oiling. If you flip it over the feed holes would be drain holes and may not oil correctly.

lexa

Oct 28, 2012
Moscow
Yes, I have diff on passanger side on nissan patrol. I will use patrol transfer behind allison (difficult way) or maybe rotate np transfer.
About oil pump: What about new cnc-made pump housing with pickup on bottom?
What is lubricated via oil pump inside the Tcase?
The feed holes is drilled in the housing?

Sorry for stupid questions. I have never had this transfer.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I believe about all the oil pump does is pull the oil from the sump and pump it through the main shaft which dumps oil into the planetary set. The front bearing and rear sleeve are oiled via runoff from the shaft and oil from the pump. Not certain on the 261/263 style case, but on other NP cases I've had apart the oil feed holes for the front bearing and rear sleeve had scoops in the top and oil holes to run the oil down into them. If you flipped it over there would be no way for oil to run down into the end areas.

lexa

Oct 28, 2012
Moscow
Thank a lot for answers!
Find the photo of rear housing.
Are the squared channels for oiling rear sleeve? They are the same. It seems will be no difference if case is rotated.
P1010005Medium.jpg

Wild_Bill

Oct 26, 2013
Hi I am in Australia working on a patrol conversion with a friend and he is using the patrol transfer case with an Australian adapter kit so the drive shafts and cross member stay factory it is expensive so I was thinking of trying to use the chev factory transfer case so would be interested if you get it working what model? We are working on GU patrols

Also where did you get intake and exhaust flanges for the turbo?

Cheers Bill
Australia

lexa

Oct 28, 2012
Moscow
Hi, Bill !
Yes, conversion with patrol transfer much expensive than using GM transfer.
As for me, I need only custom Allison output shaft. Other parts I can made by myself.
But I do not want to make new shaft and cut splines.

I found that NP271 (Ford version) transfer also may be used with Allison. It is the strongest transfer, and It has a fixed output yokes.
But wight is too much- 120lbs vs 77lbs for GM.

I know that Allison output housing is weak. Will it hold heavier transfer?

Wild_Bill

Oct 26, 2013
Hi just wondering if you could swap the axles and axle tubes on the diffs could be a cheaper option.

What the weather like?
It's 45 Celsius here 114 Fahrenheit here again today.

Cheers Bill

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Hi, Bill !
Yes, conversion with patrol transfer much expensive than using GM transfer.
As for me, I need only custom Allison output shaft. Other parts I can made by myself.
But I do not want to make new shaft and cut splines.

I found that NP271 (Ford version) transfer also may be used with Allison. It is the strongest transfer, and It has a fixed output yokes.
But wight is too much- 120lbs vs 77lbs for GM.

I know that Allison output housing is weak. Will it hold heavier transfer?

The allison output will hold a 271. I have been running a 273 for the past four years without any problems what so ever. 271/273's are bigger and heavier. Not sure how much room you have.

Why not run an np205 from an older gm?

Wild_Bill

Oct 26, 2013
The allison output will hold a 271. I have been running a 273 for the past four years without any problems what so ever. 271/273's are bigger and heavier. Not sure how much room you have.

Why not run an np205 from an older gm?

Hi do you know if the np205 will bolt straight to an Allison 5 or 6 speed auto and what side are the front and rear drive shaft outputs? Are the drive shafts bolted to the t case with flanges ?

Also any idea of weight it sounds like the perfect solution.

Thanks for the info as I am working on the same placing a duramax into a Nissan patrol my friend is half way through his conversion but I am trying to make the strongest solution without manufacturing custom output shafts.

Cheers Bill
Australia

lexa

Oct 28, 2012
Moscow
Bill, maybe I will swap the axles. But initially I will try to use standart.
There is a kit for Allison to NP205.
http://www.northwestfab.com/Dodge-NV4500-4WD-to-Ford-NP205NP208-31-Spline-Transfer-Case-Adapter_p_251.html
And here is theme http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/633965-allison-np205-2.html

Mackthehack, it is good news. NP205 is heavier than 273. I`m afraid that ) Moreover, I have one 273 near me. But I must estimate the room, as you said. One more problem is that front output shaft too close to Allison. And patrol axles are not wide.

The weather is too warm for us here -15C :)
And December was the hottest ever 0 +3C.