Ross forged vs fingers oval dome cast

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
I am torn between the two pistons because I can get a set of Ross forged for under a grand but I am gonna daily drive my truck and like the ideal that if I sell my truck, it would be worth more. Money is tight so decisions are tough. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Why?
Reasoning would help.
Would it be because I would have to replace them at 100k miles?
I can warm & cool down my truck as needed.
I Also would like to be able to make 4 digit power with no problems

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
I am torn between the two pistons because I can get a set of Ross forged for under a grand but I am gonna daily drive my truck and like the ideal that if I sell my truck, it would be worth more. Money is tight so decisions are tough. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Ross pistons are that cheap?

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
why don't you read fingers thread on his pistons, very good informational thread with why he did what he did in his piston design. also, he is making forged now. There are many threads asking your same questions as why cast are better for dd applications/weekend warrior and forged for more for the guy who is going to be at the track a lot more or racing.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
I'm well over 1000hp on Finger's cast pistons and Mark from Danville just made almost 900hp with Jon's cast pistons on a single 72mm VGT turbo and single pump. I would go with Jon's pistons.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Where can you buy his pistons at?

His screen name is FINGERS his name is Jon, he is a vendor here and his number is in the forum in the CANDY STORE, idk how busy he is now, but a couple months ago he got back to me through a PM w/in 24hrs.

I think he was asking 1800 for a set of standard cr race cast...don't quote me on it

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Why?
Reasoning would help.

You will be replacing forged long before 100k miles. Try more like 40,000 miles on a daily driver application. That's why cast is a better option on a dd.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
You should share that info with Guy Tripp at So Cal Diesel, cuz iirc, he has like 80k on his forged pistons and they are fine....:thumb:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I would bet he does a good amount of freeway driving. Or doesn't let the truck cool down much in between trips. But every truck will be different, 80k is great!

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Guy is one of the best in the business, maybe even thee best, so it doesn't surprise me, but I know others don't get the same longevity out of forged pistons, I don't think he does extreme competition either, but I don't know fer sure so really I shouldn't say...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You will be replacing forged long before 100k miles. Try more like 40,000 miles on a daily driver application. That's why cast is a better option on a dd.

You would need to replace rings not the whole piston. It would be more costly using forged than cast. Not being a smart ass here but making a thousand plus HP is not cheap either. Things break down regularly if you beat on it all the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Why?
Reasoning would help.

My understanding of the Ross piston is that it's a Cummins piston made to work in the DMax, and it's heavy.

Horsepower numbers get thrown around easily, but be assured that you don't just "make 4 digit power with no problems." It's not easy or cheap.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
My understanding of the Ross piston is that it's a Cummins piston made to work in the DMax, and it's heavy.

Horsepower numbers get thrown around easily, but be assured that you don't just "make 4 digit power with no problems." It's not easy or cheap.

Nothing is easy and cheap.
I am just doing research and piecing everything one at a time unlike all the rich people on this site. I have a LBZ long block I would like to rebuild and like I said, it is 1 thing at a time.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Nothing is easy and cheap.
I am just doing research and piecing everything one at a time unlike all the rich people on this site. I have a LBZ long block I would like to rebuild and like I said, it is 1 thing at a time.

Hardly any of us are "rich" dude, most of the members here take a couple years or more to build their trucks, doing it "one thing at a time" the guys that it would seem these things come easy to, and most of us look up to, are in the industry building and competing every day, not just the average joe budget building a 1200 hp performance diesel

Relax man, we are just trying to help shape your enthusiastically skewed perspective, pretty sure we have all been there, it was just a few short months ago I sounded just like you:angel:

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Hardly any of us are "rich" dude, most of the members here take a couple years or more to build their trucks, doing it "one thing at a time" the guys that it would seem these things come easy to, and most of us look up to, are in the industry building and competing every day, not just the average joe budget building a 1200 hp performance diesel

Relax man, we are just trying to help shape your enthusiastically skewed perspective, pretty sure we have all been there, it was just a few short months ago I sounded just like you:angel:

enthusiastically skewed perspective? What is skewed?
I am just asking questions to reach my goals