LBZ: Rods So many choices

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
No, you are not "getting it".

You slam one of our members out-of-the-blue so you can do free marketing for DPR. Now you act butt-hurt when he calls you a poser.

Let's see your credentials.

I'll admit I'm curious too.

Looks like you don't get it either. But you're the big cheese on this board and I've seen countless times how it is when you argue......making things up and creating things from the air. Debating with you is like debating a little kid and it gets nowhere. I'm not gonna do it.

dmax65

Feb 2, 2008
You forgot Cunningham. ;)

Thanks for that lovely informercial. :thumb:

But both you and Curtis has already posted in this thread, and neither of you are advertisers here.

Understand that John Noonan is NOT selling stuff here, or advertising. I for one do not see gathering information from hotrod sites as a sign of stupidity. As a buyer, I trust information from other hotrodders more than I trust sales pitches or magazine articles.

If getting information off the internet is a sign of limited mental capacity, be aware that both you and Curtis read the internet performance sites

First off you're right, I'm not an advertiser and if you take the time to actually read my post I never once mention my name, phone number, website....nothing. Hell my avitar doesn't have any info in it, I'm about as annonimous as you can get.

I was only trying to shed some light on what goes into designing, building and testing high quality rods. Yep they get expensive but you get what you pay for. I was trying to make the point that only one rod manufacturer has actually tested their rods in their own engines and on their own dimes....rather than going on the internet and asking others to bear those costs. Thats all I have to say about it.

PS...The rods in the picture are from Bill Miller Engineering...but what would I know

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Looks like you don't get it either. But you're the big cheese on this board and I've seen countless times how it is when you argue......making things up and creating things from the air. Debating with you is like debating a little kid and it gets nowhere. I'm not gonna do it.

You posted tech info (questionable) about rods, and why you think John Noonan's company sucks.

So is it too much to ask what your experience is?

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
I'll say this once and hope that people get it.

*I'm not against anyone.
*I'm not against someone making connecting rods.
*If someone can make a more inexpensive rod than what's out there now, and it's as good or better, that's great. I'd love to see it happen.
*Hyping something that hasn't been done or even started and using a motorcycle rod - nowhere near the same thing - as proof of what they'll do with these things......means nothing.
*Someone says some company that doesn't know about diesels can build a diesel rod that's as good and do it for less.....the "tilt" lights up. (Tilt light, as on a pinball machine)
*Do it, test it, make sure it's really good, then hype it.

Just because someone says what you want to hear doesn't make it so. These things won't be made. Especially not better/cheaper. But if they ever do get made and they really do cost less, as one other poster on here said......jump all over me, tell me what a fool I am. Until then don't be so gullible.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
gentlemen, this thread has generated substantial tech info and could give us a great product. Can we play nice:D:hug:

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
You posted tech info (questionable) ***WHAT was that???about rods, and why you think John Noonan's company sucks. ****WHERE????

So is it too much to ask what your experience is?

Making things up. This is what I was talking about.

Last edited:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
gentlemen, this thread has generated substantial tech info and could give us a great product. Can we play nice:D:hug:

X2

Oh and Utahski. Where did carillo, crower, howards, and cunningham get there name from. It sure wasn't from building dmax rods. Everyone has to start somewhere and if John wants to compare with how they have made a name for thereselves in the motorcycle industries, then let him.

And I did not read anywhere that he was asking for testers. People piped up and voluntered.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'll say this once and hope that people get it.

*I'm not against anyone.
*I'm not against someone making connecting rods.
*If someone can make a more inexpensive rod than what's out there now, and it's as good or better, that's great. I'd love to see it happen.
*Hyping something that hasn't been done or even started and using a motorcycle rod - nowhere near the same thing - as proof of what they'll do with these things......means nothing.
*Someone says some company that doesn't know about diesels can build a diesel rod that's as good and do it for less.....the "tilt" lights up. (Tilt light, as on a pinball machine)
*Do it, test it, make sure it's really good, then hype it.

Just because someone says what you want to hear doesn't make it so. These things won't be made. Especially not better/cheaper. But if they ever do get made and they really do cost less, as one other poster on here said......jump all over me, tell me what a fool I am. Until then don't be so gullible.

I have to say it looks an awful lot like you are attacking John Noonan to me. I have not seen anywhere that his product has been hyped. What I have seen him post is in the past his company has built rods for applications they didn't previously have a product for, and they ended up with a rod that was both stronger and cheaper than what was available before. He also said that when they would design a rod for a Duramax and try to do the same if he could. You seem to have taken offense to that for some reason, and I can't see why you really care. Obviously you really like Curtis and his product; maybe that's why?

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
I have to say it looks an awful lot like you are attacking John Noonan to me. I have not seen anywhere that his product has been hyped. What I have seen him post is in the past his company has built rods for applications they didn't previously have a product for, and they ended up with a rod that was both stronger and cheaper than what was available before. He also said that when they would design a rod for a Duramax and try to do the same if he could. You seem to have taken offense to that for some reason, and I can't see why you really care. Obviously you really like Curtis and his product; maybe that's why?

x2
thats exactly what i was thinking.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Found this picture... thought it fitting.

n540101515_704751_3213.jpg

John.... Falicon?

Was that Wades aluminum rods. :rofl:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
i'll say this once and hope that people get it.

*i'm not against anyone.
*i'm not against someone making connecting rods.
*if someone can make a more inexpensive rod than what's out there now, and it's as good or better, that's great. I'd love to see it happen.
*hyping something that hasn't been done or even started and using a motorcycle rod - nowhere near the same thing - as proof of what they'll do with these things......means nothing.
*someone says some company that doesn't know about diesels can build a diesel rod that's as good and do it for less.....the "tilt" lights up. (tilt light, as on a pinball machine)
*do it, test it, make sure it's really good, then hype it.

Just because someone says what you want to hear doesn't make it so. These things won't be made. Especially not better/cheaper. But if they ever do get made and they really do cost less, as one other poster on here said......jump all over me, tell me what a fool i am. Until then don't be so gullible.
is there a reason you keep tearing down this guy for trying? He is making rods for a big name rod builder already. If he can make a good piece, more to him.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I say give John's company a chance. We need EVERY option we can get, just like the gasser world. Ever think that the fierce competition in the gasser aftermarket is what got us cheaper, better parts in the first place? Hell yes it did.

I just do not understand some people's inclination to destroy a person's ideas or rep before they even get a chance to try. Is it jealousy or just plain rudeness?
Either way, I thought this board was BETTER than that. Either help out to the best of your ability or STFU.

If John's company's product doesnt pan out, then you have made your point. BUT..what if the product ends up being are what he says they are? Then what will you say?

Off my soapbox and back to a question: What reasonably-priced, readily-available alloy would be the best to use for a set of rods? I see that Pat mentioned 4340.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
That's wonderful about the Hyabusa rods but it has nothing to do with these diesels. Now if there's ever one of those motorcycles in the garage and it needs a set of rods, I'll seriously consider Wossner. It's a nice looking rod....looks just like a Carillo. And if I ever have a European car and decide to replace the rods, I'll look at Wossner for that too. But until they make something much larger and specifically for a Dmax, it's irrelevant. Probably some people would beta test a new rod, but I never would. If you're really serious, have them made and test them thoroughly, then do the hype.

You're not getting it. It has nothing to do with not wanting another rod company....it's about the "tilt" light. When the "tilt" light goes on, does seeing it make someone a "keyboard jockey?" All this stuff about what they "can" do is just stuff......is it "whining" to question what sounds like BS? Are you saying someone else claiming they want to build a better dmax rods is BS??:confused: Seems to me a keyboard jockey would be someone who tells people what they want to hear in order to boost their own ego. Looks to me like cutting other people and their accomplishments down is your way of boosting your own ego so cut the crap!

What hype? He mentioned motorcycle rods that have been succesful in the past but as far as diesel rods go, all he has said is he wants to try to do the same for the diesel industry. He wants to build something better for less but didn't say he has, or guaranteed he will and hasn't asked ANYONE to test them for him because he hasn't even said they exist or that they will even be successfull in building them yet.

He may find it isn't possible to beat what's currently on the market, but let him try at least before y'all start slamming him. Hell, we don't even know his company name yet.

Some people......:cussing:

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I did not see John Noonan hype a new diesel rod up. What I read was that the company that he is associated with apparently makes some rockin' motorcycle hot rod rods, along with some other things. THAT he hyped. Good for them.

The other thing that I read was in regards to diesels he is ignorant, and he wants to become educated. He asked for information to gather for his engineer. Never read anything at all about promoting something that hasn't been built and tested.

I have really appreciated reading this thread, but there again I am just another dumb DMax lover.

I say let them build them. Wow! I understand the skepticism, but I don't understand blasting a guy until he relents.

I guess I posted a few minutes too late. I just posted about the same thing that "LBZ" posted.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I still do not understand why Utahski posted in this thread, or what his background is.

I hate to say it, but after reading the thread again, it reads like he was "put up to it". A common but irritating sales tactic on internet sites, that I call the Proxy Attack.

As far as I can tell from this thread, he has never run aftermarket rods, isn't a machinist or engineer, and doesn't sell rods. At least when Ben posted critically, his opinion was based on past experience. Utahski on the other hand claims no such experience, or any stake whatsoever.

Now the question becomes, "Should we allow that kind of posting?"

That is a toughy. We certainly permit differing opinions on tech issues, but what if the "opinions" aren't really their's and are just proxy attacks from competing shops? We don't permit Vendor Wars, and the proxy attack has always been a popular way around such rules.

As you can see, it can chase tech off a board. Many shops believe that tech on websites (other than their ads) negatively affects their business, so it is in their best interest to chase away as many techies as possible.

There is no simple solution for this problem, but I certainly thank all of you who posted their opinions questioning Utahski. Tomorrow it will be lift pumps, camshafts, converters, axles, etc. The best way to defend again proxy attacks is to question the attacker and their motives.