LBZ: Rods So many choices

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Ok Gonna be doing a build on the LBZ. School me on the rods. I know there's a search feature but I'm not in the mood to search. Thanks.:confused:

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Ok Gonna be doing a build on the LBZ. School me on the rods. I know there's a search feature but I'm not in the mood to search. Thanks.:confused:

Crowers or Carrillo's and you are done... I am going with the forged Carrillo's.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I would use a rod with pin oiling. The only two that I know of are Howard's and Carrillo's with the optional charge. Howard's come with pin oiling and are one of the lightest on the market.

John Noonan

Land Speed bike racer
Sep 24, 2008
Huntington Beach Cal.
If anyone wants to send me a good stock sample I can see about getting it Made in Germany at my company and the board suppliers could then sell them to the retail members.

My retail on current other rods with ARP L19 bolts only retail for $ 210-230 per rod.

PM for shipping address if interested.

[email protected]

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Aren't Carrillo's the lightest??

That's why I said Howards was one of the lightest. I think there is only around 10 to 15 grams difference between the two. Guy had posted weights a while back but they are close and the pin oiling feature is around 500.00 extra to have it on the Carrillo's. There aren't a lot of rod failures out there anyway so save some cost and get a nice feature along the way.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Crowers are billet and Carrillo's are forged... forged are stronger

Not as easy as that. Forging has it advantages. Mainly control of the grain flow from the forming of the part. But there are things materail wise you can do with a billet that does not lend itself to a forging. While I am fan of Forged rods I beleive that for what we do the I beam design better suits us. I just am not a beleiver in the H beam rod for us. Now that said all name brand seem to have earned good reputations.

I am very pleased with my Crowers and would by another set. Howards with the pin oiling looks cool but you need to machine the bearing to go with them to make the pin oiling work.;)

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Carillo is forged and machined, and something like 70-80grams or so lighter than the others. Howards is a forging that's also machined and only 7 grams heavier than Carillo. The others are machined billet(?).

All the aftermarket rods are a lot stronger than stock and plenty strong enough for a built engine. But talking strength, one thing you might notice. The I-beam rods all have a flat-bottomed cavity with sides that go straight down to a small radius at the edge of that cavity. Carillo is an H-beam with a side cavity that's also square sided and flat. The Howard rod beam cavity and side cutout are both a full radius arc. Full radii (arches) are used architecturally for the most strength. The Howard rod is very rigid. I haven't heard of any comparison testing but it wouldn't surprise me if the Howard rod was strongest.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I stuffed 2 Crower's through the cylinder walls after they had tore two seized pistons in half at 4000+ rpm. They were not significantly damaged from the ordeal. Whether there is a stronger rod would be a moot point since there isn't a lot more abuse you could subject one to inside an engine. So any brand of rod that you use that approaches or exceeds that level of strength is going to be plenty. Apparently while forged can be stronger, it might not be strength you actually will use.

Weight is a different subject, and lighter is better.

I use Carrillos now.