LLY: Reman Hydroboost or Rebuild Kit?

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I have been dealing with, what I THINK is a power steering leak of some sort lately. After I park my truck, I notice a small spot on the ground towards the back of my drivers side front wheel well. I just cant seem to pinpoint where the leak is coming from. I have replaced the power steering lines about a year and half ago, but I suspect its coming from the bottom of the hydroboost or brake booster (whatever you call it)

If I put my hand underneath, I always get fluid on me. I attached a pic of where Im referring to. Im just not sure if this is the only source of the leak.

So do people generally recommend just buying a rebuild kit or something or just dropping a few hundred dollars and buying a remanufactured part?

Attachments

• duramax brake booster 001.JPG
    duramax brake booster 001.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 57

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Thought if the hydroboost unit was failing you usually got oil down the firewall. Maybe it's just the master cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
90% sure 01-10 hydraboost is the same..

Ben did a 11 hydraboost on his 05 direct bolt in.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Thought if the hydroboost unit was failing you usually got oil down the firewall. Maybe it's just the master cylinder?

You usually see fluid from the weep hole between the master and the booster. Or on the inside of the firewall from the shaft that connects to the pedal

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't think it's common on any of Dmax. Just like anything they do go bad on occasion.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
They go bad pretty often actually. The rebuild isn't worth it. The 2011 fits and has slightly better brake feel. Plus it's usually cheaper than the older ones.

Do you get a kick back when you press on the brakes?

its the master cylinder
No.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
They go bad pretty often actually. The rebuild isn't worth it. The 2011 fits and has slightly better brake feel. Plus it's usually cheaper than the older ones.

Do you get a kick back when you press on the brakes?

No.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I havent noticed any kickback from the brakes except if I press the brake really suddenly as if a person in front of me is about to get rear ended, but other than that, normal driving, no kickback.

The only thing I notice is a slight whining sound if I do get low on PS fluid.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you get a small (or large) kick-back when you rapidly stab the brakes, your hydroboost is failing. I've seen a ton go bad, they only seem to last about 50-100k miles. Some people get more miles because they don't realize theirs has failed and is fighting them in a panic stop, when you need it most!

I tried the reman route, but I was lucky to get 1000 miles on them before the reman would crap out. Just get a new ACDelco part, and like everyone says, the 2011 is a redesigned unit with better brake feel (and maybe better longevity, we shall see!).

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
If you get a small (or large) kick-back when you rapidly stab the brakes, your hydroboost is failing. I've seen a ton go bad, they only seem to last about 50-100k miles. Some people get more miles because they don't realize theirs has failed and is fighting them in a panic stop, when you need it most!

I tried the reman route, but I was lucky to get 1000 miles on them before the reman would crap out. Just get a new ACDelco part, and like everyone says, the 2011 is a redesigned unit with better brake feel (and maybe better longevity, we shall see!).

This is definitely what im going to do

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Okay new updates,

Maybe this can help narrow it down some.

I have been watching my PS fluid the past few weeks and I havent lost any it seems.

However, I still notice a droning/whine when I turn sometimes as well as if Im coming off the interstate onto an exit ramp, decelerating just by letting my foot off the gas, I notice a louder whine/drone. Not sure where its coming from.

Is this any help in identifying the issue? No PS fluid loss, just a droning when turning/slowing down or pulling into a parking spot at low speeds