Rare Parts Tie Rods: Quick question after install

fullpullalex

Moar Powah Pleez
Feb 22, 2013
Mass
Happy Easter folks! Just changed over the tie rods on my truck. I'll admit I screwed up keeping the tires aligned. Truck has scuffing on the outer portion of the tires after testing the truck. This indicates toe in I believe. However, the odd part is, the truck has disgusting negative camber now too. Taking it to my buddy's tire shop tomorrow. I can see the toe in but why negative camber now? Just trying to figure this out to ease my mind until I take it there. Thanks.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Changing tie rods will not change your camber, unless you loosened up the A-arm bolts that have the adjusters on them, which there is no reason for you to do that.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Negative camber makes no sense. If u have extreme toe out it could give the illusion of it having slight neg camber. I have rare parts tie rods and have never experienced anything like u r describing. Best hd tie rods I've ran to date.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
My cognitos lasted 6 months. I think fabtechs design is almost the same as the cognitos. I had heard the inner joint issue was fixed but I will never find out cause I won't ever buy another set.

fullpullalex

Moar Powah Pleez
Feb 22, 2013
Mass
Negative camber makes no sense. If u have extreme toe out it could give the illusion of it having slight neg camber. I have rare parts tie rods and have never experienced anything like u r describing. Best hd tie rods I've ran to date.

I know thats why I'm confused. I'll be taking some measurements and making some adjustments tonight. See if it makes a difference.

fullpullalex

Moar Powah Pleez
Feb 22, 2013
Mass
If the OP backed up after the test drive, you bet it will look like negative camber.

Ya I believe I know why it looks like negative camber. Toe in is forcing the tires to essentially drive "towards themselves." This is pushing the tires to run on the inner edge making the outer portion of the tire bulge thus giving the look of neg camber. When I first tested, there was some toe out and the tires looked to have a slight positive camber. I probably over-adjusted now causing toe in. This explains the squeaking i heard when i turned. The outer edge skipping and scuffing. I think I'm on to the problem.

fullpullalex

Moar Powah Pleez
Feb 22, 2013
Mass
Problem solved. 2" of toe-in would be the culprit haha. She's all purrrty now and man these are some awesome tie rods.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
My cognitos lasted 6 months. I think fabtechs design is almost the same as the cognitos. I had heard the inner joint issue was fixed but I will never find out cause I won't ever buy another set.

X2, I went through 3 sets of Cognito's in 4 years:( Kryptonites have been on there about 6 months now, So far they are holding up perfectly :thumb:

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
I put 60k on my fabtechs and they were still tight when I sold the truck. Didn't do a ton of boosted launched, but lots of 4x4 and gravel roads. Seemed to be in great shape still.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I've been running sleeves and braces for over a year and a decent amount of pulling and drag racing without issue. But eventually i will need to do some aftermarket tierods and centerlink. Better safe than sorry!

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
I went through a set of fabtechs in under a year n switched to rareparts, no problems yet!

Same crap.. Had fabtech a on mine. Inners both shit the bed shortly after lol. Went with rare parts. Havnt looked back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk