R&R soon any suggestions?

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
So everyone by me wants $90+ to remove and replace my trans with a trans i already have and i can’t exactly justify it. Not saying other people don’t need to make a living just that i can’t spend that money knowing i could do it.

Have a rebuilt trans “Evan” and a 1074 converter that I’m replacing my stock components with.

While I’m in there I’m planning on doing my manifolds and up pipes “ppe” and i forget ha. Also have intercooler tubing to install so should easily be a day or two for me.

Picked up a trans jack from ol reliable harbor freight the low profile 2k pounder. Have tools and am going to crack into it tomorrow.

Is there anything anyone would suggest doing while I’m in there and have it apart that far? Any tips and tricks other than extensions and breaker bars? Thanks guys :thumb:

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Converter bolts are a pita, I usually use a good 3/8 air gun to get them out.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Yeah, dang, for $90 I'd be tripping over myself to pay someone else to the trans swap.

As was said, the converter bolts are going to suck. And you'd better have a good set of u-joint or CVs for your sockets to get to the top few bolts on the bellhousing. Other than that, just takes time and a breaker bar.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Transfer case bolts are easy with a 12 point wrench, converter bolts will be difficult without air tools but doable.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I didn't have much trouble with the converter bolts when I pulled mine. Just removed the starter and put a ratchet in there and pulled them out. Yeah, they where tight but not unmanageable.

Some come in from the front with a long (3 foot?) extension to get the bolts out. Make sure to loctite the new ones in and also make sure the new bolts are the right length. The new converter may use a different length bolt. And if the converter is painted, it may be a good idea to remove the paint from the area the bolts screw into so you get a good torque that wont loosen as the paint smears and compresses

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
A swivel head 3/8 Drive ratchet with a telescoping handle works great for removing the convertor bolts. I use it in conjunction with a deep socket and short extension

Firefightkev

May 30, 2014
Central Florida
I did a 2 wheel drive by my self. Converter bolts was the only true help I had. But I had air tools and cardboard to drag the trans out from under the truck.:thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Yeah, that son of a b!tch is heavy. Especially after bringing it down onto you chest.

Quite deceiving actually

Damn I’m glad somebody else said that. I just thought I was a ***** or something. Plus there’s some razor sharp edges on the mating subsurfaces of that bad boy. I had to get my wife to help me get the bolts in. I m only 135 pounds so not the biggest guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you dont have a Hot Flush machine to clean that cooler and lines out. i would pick up a new cooler at min (stock or upgraded) so you dont plug that sump filter up early and kill the new trans, then flush the lines really well with cleaner and compressed air. hold a rag over the opposite end of the lines from where you blow and use it as a "catch" to see if you got all the crap out or if you need to keep flushing.

if the engine has a decent amount of miles on it, i would probably throw a new rear main in as well (make sure you get the tool to insert it though) and then look closely at the upper oil pan to see if its leaking and if its enough to warrant dropping the pan and re-sealing. cant do these things with the trans in.

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
I can have mine out of my 4x4 on my lift in 45min. But trust me that's getting after it.

I'd replace cooler and radiator as mention above if the other tire up or shelled out. I wouldn't trust even the best cleaning machine for what a trans cost.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Damn I’m glad somebody else said that. I just thought I was a ***** or something. Plus there’s some razor sharp edges on the mating subsurfaces of that bad boy. I had to get my wife to help me get the bolts in. I m only 135 pounds so not the biggest guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, moving it across the garage is a different story than under the truck. But still easier than an Sm465 / 205 combo

One old guy at work is probably 125lbs dripping wet, he'll still out work 90% of everyone else. Little guys usually try harder :thumb:

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Yeah, that son of a b!tch is heavy. Especially after bringing it down onto you chest.

Quite deceiving actually

My father in law helped me do mine. Both of us are 6' and 200lbs plus and we were huffin and puffin when we got that thing out. Only had floor jacks, and then when putting it back in the converter came unseated while I was under it about to bolt up the bell housing. I cursed that thing for a good 30 mins before I finally got it to seat.

And yes that son of bitch is heavy. OP buy the proper jack for it. I wish I would have.