R&R soon any suggestions?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I can have mine out of my 4x4 on my lift in 45min. But trust me that's getting after it.

I'd replace cooler and radiator as mention above if the other tire up or shelled out. I wouldn't trust even the best cleaning machine for what a trans cost.

a Hot Flush machine will actually clean the coolers of debris. Some shops will require you to have this done prior to trans install to keep the trans warranty

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
a Hot Flush machine will actually clean the coolers of debris. Some shops will require you to have this done prior to trans install to keep the trans warranty

This is what Mike L does. If he trusts it then this is what I would do

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
A few years ago I pulled my trans to swap out the converter. Didn't have any transmission jacks. Just the standard racing jack and some scissor jacks. I ran some heavy ratchet straps over the frame and under the transmission for safety. Used the jacks at the front and rear and slowly dropped it.

Removed the transfer case first. Was tricky as mentioned above but not too hard. Just getting it at the right angle to come out and of course heavy. I was probably more sore from pulling and putting in the converter then anything else. Felt like it weighed more then I do.

I weight about 140 so not the biggest guy in town but managed all on my own in one day.

Had trouble with getting it out from under the truck to as the transmission is taller than the space between the driveway and the frame. Ended up leaving it under the truck and swapped the converter there. Everything else wasn't too bad.

A helper will definitely make it easier

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I picked up a trans jack from harbor freight got the 2k lb one and as much as i just want to pay someone to do this i think I’ll rally it this week. Might just swap out the rear main at the same time. I’ll pick up new coolers too. Thanks guys.