Purchased RDL headers and up-pipes today

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
LOL, i wasnt referring to you, just seems like alot of guys are looking for longevity and if thats what they want welded ss tube headers is not where its at.

Why did you think they were peak gains and not gains at peak? Im pretty sure that dyno chart is on a few diff web sites.

I was just wondering what kinda gains your headers make? I didnt mean to ask what you claimed. So what do they make at what rpm? Im just wondering cause you were asking about the HP claims on RDL headers then you came back and said that HP numbers are pointless when asked about yours?? You also said yours are superior? Why? because they are 321 and not 304? Just because they are thicker and take more heat doesnt mean they will last longer. What if RDLs welds were better? How do you know they arent? Did you guys x-ray the welds?:rofl:

Its obvious you are against RDL and thats your guys business not mine. I dont know much about headers but i look at it like this, if a guy wants to sell me something to try out on my truck at a very reduced cost and says he will stand behind them no matter what kinda problems arise (cracking, warping, falling apart, blowing up, etc) why not try them?? They are less that half the cost of any other headers and he is making them out of 304 to make them affordable to the public.

So far i havnt had any problems with them.

Sounds great and hope you enjoy them,FWIW there is a few long time members that have the uppipes and headers from Rick SOOO we are not all against them;)
I find no need to X-Ray Ricks welds:rofl: And if you must know it was not salad headers that started this fiasco in the first place,Paul gave some ideas of how HE liked HIS headers to be built and that's considered a bad thing???
If you like your headers that's great! Hope the best for ya

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Sounds great and hope you enjoy them,FWIW there is a few long time members that have the uppipes and headers from Rick SOOO we are not all against them;)
I find no need to X-Ray Ricks welds:rofl: And if you must know it was not salad headers that started this fiasco in the first place,Paul gave some ideas of how HE liked HIS headers to be built and that's considered a bad thing???
If you like your headers that's great! Hope the best for ya

So far i like them and have had no problems. Turbo buick and i have been talking about the headers, not the up-pipes. Ive never met rick or turbo buick. Im not sticking up for either or sayin ones headers are better than the other. I know a little of how the header/up-pipe crap all started but that has nothing to do with this thread. If you guys want to give ideas thats cool, thats one thing and no thats not a bad thing, but saying rick has greasy fingers and that his headers are inferior is not a "product idea". Its saying in a rounda bout way that anybody who buys RDLs headers is buying "not as good as the other guys" products. He has done me rite so far and if something were to happen to my headers i know he will replace them at no cost.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
So far i like them and have had no problems. Turbo buick and i have been talking about the headers, not the up-pipes. Ive never met rick or turbo buick. Im not sticking up for either or sayin ones headers are better than the other. I know a little of how the header/up-pipe crap all started but that has nothing to do with this thread. If you guys want to give ideas thats cool, thats one thing and no thats not a bad thing, but saying rick has greasy fingers and that his headers are inferior is not a "product idea". Its saying in a rounda bout way that anybody who buys RDLs headers is buying "not as good as the other guys" products. He has done me rite so far and if something were to happen to my headers i know he will replace them at no cost.

Remeber that is not Paul that was saying that;):hug:
Im sure your headers will last a very long time,And if not rick will replace them

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
LOL, i wasnt referring to you, just seems like alot of guys are looking for longevity and if thats what they want welded ss tube headers is not where its at.

This is a misconception, there are plenty of welded SS tube headers that will last

Why did you think they were peak gains and not gains at peak? Im pretty sure that dyno chart is on a few diff web sites.

Becuase I have seen dyno sheets that were suposedly from those headers and they added far less at peak power than at peak gains

I was just wondering what kinda gains your headers make?

I have no dyno numbers on them and prob never will, since that is not what I built them for

I didnt mean to ask what you claimed. So what do they make at what rpm? Im just wondering cause you were asking about the HP claims on RDL headers then you came back and said that HP numbers are pointless when asked about yours??

I do belive them to be pointless....I was not the one that brough up dyno numbers, was just curious since that seems to be what everyone is talking about

You also said yours are superior? Why?

I never said such, I let people come to their own conclusions

because they are 321 and not 304? Just because they are thicker and take more heat doesnt mean they will last longer.

304 is the incorrect matterial! call up BurnsStainless, or any other well know headerbuilder and see what they have to say. Although they say the same as me I determined it through speaking with egineers at work. I never said mine were thicker:confused: My primarys are 16g, I have no idea what anyone else uses, so I would never say that. I would also never say that because thickness does not effect things in the same way most people think. 321 WILL take more heat and last longer than 304, its not oppinion...its fact. I can post the makeup of the too and the intended usage for them is you would like

What if RDLs welds were better? How do you know they arent? Did you guys x-ray the welds?:rofl:

I don't have to pick them appart on here, but a lot can be told by looking at a weld....VT is usually the first test done to test a weld. Even on a perfect weld there is a desired size and anything smaller or bigger makes it prone to cracking. Having welded thousands of tubes under ASME sce9 (strictest welding code out there, also used in nuclear reactors) that got RTed and being in the middle of studying for my CWI I can tell ALOT from just looking at a weld;)

Its obvious you are against RDL and thats your guys business not mine.

I am against no one, I have always called things the way I see them and will continue to do so in an effort to help people:hug:

I dont know much about headers but i look at it like this, if a guy wants to sell me something to try out on my truck at a very reduced cost and says he will stand behind them no matter what kinda problems arise (cracking, warping, falling apart, blowing up, etc) why not try them??

There is no problem, no one here begrudges you for running them and I can honestly say I wish you the best of luck with them.

They are less that half the cost of any other headers and he is making them out of 304 to make them affordable to the public.

I just don't belive in compromising quality for cost, but everyone is intitled to their own opinion. I have no special intrests in headers, I am mearly here to share knowledge, thats the whole point of this...right:hug: When it comes to headers I leave oppinion out of it and use only facts that can be backed up, if some people get offended by that I am sorry, but fact is fact, good, bad or indifferent.

So far i havnt had any problems with them.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Remeber that is not Paul that was saying that;):hug:

Thanks Simon, I really don't care for:poop: and thats was the kind of comment that starts:poop: Like I said I am here to try and help people like so many have done for me. I cant tune a truck for :poop: but there are somethings I'm good at. You can ask, there are many members on this site that I have helped to fab their own parts. I have no need for this, I am just here because I sometimes enjoy it. I do not hate RDL, but I also have no love for him either. Remember, I was the quiet guy that kept to himself and was then accused of coppying work, when there was not even one similarity! I have no need to coppy other work, I can come up with stuff just fine on my own:D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
RDL wants me to try them and says they flow way more than the ones i have. Why not?

Im not going to do it until i get a bigger charger tho.

Makes sense to me but I don't know why even sell two designs?:confused:
Unless they were not available when the first ones came out.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Makes sense to me but I don't know why even sell two designs?:confused:
Unless they were not available when the first ones came out.

I was wondering the same :confused: SO how are theese ones working so far whts your first thought test ect egt drop ? spool up and so on ?
I would like a set of headers for my truck but want them to work who ever ther from

sillyboyrs4

Aug 19, 2008
De and FL
Do they make these for the LMM? Also how much of a pain in the a** are these to install if you have the wheels and splash shields off? Also COST??? :)

Last edited:

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
RDL sells a "standard set" and a "race set". The race set has bigger up-pipes and the headers flow more air. I have a prototype log set that were designed by Txchris.

That pic doesnt look like RDLs race set.

Standard set with the 1" 7/8 up-pipes are 1650.00 and the race set with 2" up-pipes are 1950.00. Mine fit like a glove with no problems except for a bad gasket. I replaced the driver side gasket in a hour. The headers and up-pipes are a easy install from the passenger side fender well. The headers and up-pipes can be done in 3 hours.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
RDL sells a "standard set" and a "race set". The race set has bigger up-pipes and the headers flow more air. I have a prototype log set that were designed by Txchris.

Standard set with the 1" 7/8 up-pipes are 1650.00 and the race set with 2" up-pipes are 1950.00. Mine fit like a glove with no problems except for a bad gasket. I replaced the driver side gasket in a hour. The headers and up-pipes are a easy install from the passenger side fender well. The headers and up-pipes can be done in 3 hours.

Damn 1650$ is cheap

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I have talked to TxC about testing a set of the race headers for him and have the pics. NWT - you seem to be confusing everyone, or they are confusing themselves, or whatever the case but here's the deal as far as i know it. TxC designed your current base set of log headers and up-pipes that run $1650. They are restricted to stock flanges so that you can use either the up-pipes, the headers or both (his up-pipes bolt to stock headers and vice versa). TxC also designed a race set of log headers and up-pipes; they sit further from the motor so that the primaries sweep into the log (curve toward the rear as they come out and into the log), the primaries and ID of the lgo portion are larger, and they have 2" up-pipes that connect to the headers with a v-band clamp. Both styles are made by RDL.

RDL has been making headers for some time that are like the ones that never satisfied posted. More info on them can be found on Dmaxcentral.com under Rick's page.

BTW does anyone have Rick or TxC's phone numbers? Can't find them on any of the sites which seems a bit odd to me as a business owner. My cell phone number is all over our website.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA

Ok, so you are talking about a log style header that is a "race" set. I am thinking that the "race" style would be better than the one I pictured. I'm curious what the difference would be.

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
I have talked to TxC about testing a set of the race headers for him and have the pics. NWT - you seem to be confusing everyone, or they are confusing themselves, or whatever the case but here's the deal as far as i know it. TxC designed your current base set of log headers and up-pipes that run $1650. They are restricted to stock flanges so that you can use either the up-pipes, the headers or both (his up-pipes bolt to stock headers and vice versa). TxC also designed a race set of log headers and up-pipes; they sit further from the motor so that the primaries sweep into the log (curve toward the rear as they come out and into the log), the primaries and ID of the lgo portion are larger, and they have 2" up-pipes that connect to the headers with a v-band clamp. Both styles are made by RDL.

RDL has been making headers for some time that are like the ones that never satisfied posted. More info on them can be found on Dmaxcentral.com under Rick's page.

BTW does anyone have Rick or TxC's phone numbers? Can't find them on any of the sites which seems a bit odd to me as a business owner. My cell phone number is all over our website.

If you send Rick a PM over at Dmaxcentral.com, i'm sure he would give you his number.

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans

Glad you straightened that out. Its kinda confusing in itself. He also builds a nice set of long tube headers that cost 2150.00:p with the up-pipes.;) PM rick.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Actually I talked at some length tonight with Rick because I did PM him and I always sign PMs with my name, company name and website and my number and he called me. Anyway alot of people had their hands and input in the design of the Race set which he is calling "Pro Flow"; TxC requested the base style that NWT has which he calls "Tow Flow" which as I said are resricted to stock flange locations. I guess he pretty much just gave them these names. You can get either set through RDL but he is selling them through TxC to stay off the phones and behind the welding mask - he called me because I told him TxC hadn't been getting back to me via PMs. Anyway after our discussion I am really wanting a set of the race "Pro Flow" headers and up-pipes and will most likely get them if the wallet allows. RDL will stand behind them and repair or replace any defective sets as long as you are civil about it and take them off and send them back so that he can try to learn from any flaws in the design or construction - he won't just send a new set on the spot. I will definately post before and after dyno results and track times if I get them.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
A stock gasket is exactly 2" and 2" tubing is the OD, so really about 1 7/8 ID. So with 16g tubing you can go up to 2 1/8" tubing (2" ID) and make it work with stock style flanges that will bolt up to to the manifolds. All you would have to do is gasket match the manifold. A gasket match at the pedistal would be nice too. Handy info for anyone looking to try something on their own.:baby: