Purchased RDL headers and up-pipes today

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Because of all the skepticism from people about the slip style. Either slip or bellows will work - they were trying to use slip joints to keep costs down since high quality bellows are pricey, but everyone was leary about slip joints on boosted applications with high drive pressures. I'm sure they'll make you slip joint ones if you ask for it.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Because of all the skepticism from people about the slip style. Either slip or bellows will work - they were trying to use slip joints to keep costs down since high quality bellows are pricey, but everyone was leary about slip joints on boosted applications with high drive pressures. I'm sure they'll make you slip joint ones if you ask for it.

high quality bellows are cheaper than high quality slip joints....MUCH CHEAPER!:D

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Just repeating what I have read posted by TxC and his "spokesman" RTToys on the DP.

Not calling you a lier:).....just saying that is BS;) I'm not splitting hairs either...Good slip joints are about 3 to 4 times the price of good bellows:D

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Details on these Salad headers?

made out of 321 stainless(not mild steel) and mesh braided bellows. they are much more expensive than RDL's but I would gladly pay more money for a far superior product. I will ask the builder if a picture can be posted of them.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
:threadjacked: This thread is not about my headers. I am not trying to market them, nor are they even available for sale. Just here to help people make an INFORMED decision. :D

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
The long tube headers look sweet! I heard that they crack faster because ther is alot more pipe which causes ALOT more expanding and contracting over and over. Ive also heard from various peaple that the long tube headers actually cause a drop in psi instead of a gain in psi like the short log style like mine??

Do you guys know? What kinda gains have you seen with those headers? Dyno sheets?

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
The long tube headers look sweet! I heard that they crack faster because ther is alot more pipe which causes ALOT more expanding and contracting over and over. Ive also heard from various peaple that the long tube headers actually cause a drop in psi instead of a gain in psi like the short log style like mine??

Do you guys know? What kinda gains have you seen with those headers? Dyno sheets?

They are actually less prone to cracking if designed correctly because expantion loops allow for fatigue free movent. With log style everything is locked together with no bends or expantion loops. Becuase of this something should be done inbetween each cyl to isolate them from eachother. The answer is not a weld in joint but rather something that looks simple but is very hard to produce;)

I noticed no drop in boost:confused: but much fast spool up:D

HP andTQ gains on headers are actually rather pointless. Where the real power comes from is lower egts. If you ran 1600 but headers drop them to 1300.....ALOT of fuel can be added to get the egts back to 1600. This is where the huge power number can be had from headers. I would take a header that lost 20hp but dropped egts 350 over a header that gained 50hp and dropped egts 150 any day of the week:rolleyes: These number are purely to prove a point and in no way shape or form apply to anything being discussed

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Was just wondering what you claimed on your headers because you asked about the RDLs.

I dont think peaple are buying headers expecting to have them last forever. If they are then they are a lil :screwy:

I never made any hp or tq claims on mine, only egts and spooling. Only reason I asked is because I had a feeling that they were peak gains rather than gains at peak.

I don't expect anything to last forever....call me crazy but I expect expensive headers to last a very very long time:baby: but then again....I prefer insane....not crazy:D:rofl:

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
I never made any hp or tq claims on mine, only egts and spooling. Only reason I asked is because I had a feeling that they were peak gains rather than gains at peak.

I don't expect anything to last forever....call me crazy but I expect expensive headers to last a very very long time:baby: but then again....I prefer insane....not crazy:D:rofl:

LOL, i wasnt referring to you, just seems like alot of guys are looking for longevity and if thats what they want welded ss tube headers is not where its at.

Why did you think they were peak gains and not gains at peak? Im pretty sure that dyno chart is on a few diff web sites.

I was just wondering what kinda gains your headers make? I didnt mean to ask what you claimed. So what do they make at what rpm? Im just wondering cause you were asking about the HP claims on RDL headers then you came back and said that HP numbers are pointless when asked about yours?? You also said yours are superior? Why? because they are 321 and not 304? Just because they are thicker and take more heat doesnt mean they will last longer. What if RDLs welds were better? How do you know they arent? Did you guys x-ray the welds?:rofl:

Its obvious you are against RDL and thats your guys business not mine. I dont know much about headers but i look at it like this, if a guy wants to sell me something to try out on my truck at a very reduced cost and says he will stand behind them no matter what kinda problems arise (cracking, warping, falling apart, blowing up, etc) why not try them?? They are less that half the cost of any other headers and he is making them out of 304 to make them affordable to the public.

So far i havnt had any problems with them.