Purchased RDL headers and up-pipes today

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
I know alot of you are weery about these, but i think they will help spool the bigger charger, give me better intown drivability and what the heck, why not? I have a cracked up-pipe now so why not go with somethin better and kinda cool? i think SS tube headers and up-pipes are pretty sweet. I will keep you all posted on my finds.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I know alot of you are weery about these, but i think they will help spool the bigger charger, give me better intown drivability and what the heck, why not? I have a cracked up-pipe now so why not go with somethin better and kinda cool? i think SS tube headers and up-pipes are pretty sweet. I will keep you all posted on my finds.

try to get some dyno numbers with just the new pipes would like to see if they come close the the claimed hp or tq

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Rick has a "race" set and a "standard" set. I have seen dyno sheets from a stock truck usin the standards. It was 30hp and 70trq on a stock truck with the standard headers. Race headers are to be around twice as much hp depending on mods. The main reason i purchased is for #1 i have a cracked stock uppipe and needed somthin anyway #2 egts drop #3 more boost #4 faster spooling on the street. Sounded good to me and he wanted me to do some dyno pulls for him. I got a smokin deal but i cant say what i paid cause i was asked not to. Depending on what you get they are 1650.00 up to 1950.00 for the headers and up-pipes.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
It was 30hp and 70trq on a stock truck with the standard headers.

Are these gains at peak power or are they peak gains. Marketing can be very deceptive when they post peak gains. ie. who cares if something adds 100hp at 1500rpm but only 20hp at 3000. Just curious?

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
from what i've heard, the biggest, most noticable gains are in the lower parts of the rpm range. creating a huge drop in back pressure allows the turbine to spool a lot faster and also allows for a faster heat exchange and evac of the cylinder....

someone posted a graph on dp... i'll see if i can find it.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
from what i've heard, the biggest, most noticable gains are in the lower parts of the rpm range. creating a huge drop in back pressure allows the turbine to spool a lot faster and also allows for a faster heat exchange and evac of the cylinder....

someone posted a graph on dp... i'll see if i can find it.

Cant speak of other peoples products since I have not run them but I can tell you this is NOT true with the headers I built. Top end is where mine seem to make the biggest diff :D

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Cant speak of other peoples products since I have not run them but I can tell you this is NOT true with the headers I built. Top end is where mine seem to make the biggest diff :D

I would be happy with mid or top end power. I just like to try out new things and c'mon, SS headers are pretty sweet. They are a good price and i was told they would stand behind them for warranty. Ive been eye ballin these for since Midwest Diesel first started advertisin them.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I would be happy with mid or top end power. I just like to try out new things and c'mon, SS headers are pretty sweet. They are a good price and i was told they would stand behind them for warranty. Ive been eye ballin these for since Midwest Diesel first started advertisin them.

There is no doubt they will be better :D Anything will be better than stock since scavenging doesnt play much of a role in turbocharged applications. 90 percent of header making theory goes out the window with a turbo :)

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
here's the graph from dp.... looks like the same one newly was lookin at with the +30hp on it.

img1215lh6.jpg

quote from a dp member testing them....

Both. These are bigger, less flat and flow better than stockers. This is why the turbo spools faster and lag is next to none, the exhaust is getting from the combustion chamber to the turbo faster.

This is no different than adding a better intake, IC, free flow muffler or cat delete, it's just another way to make the engine more efficiant

same person....

The dyno pulls tell the 'facts' story. The ease of making power whenever wanted is incredible. About 90% of all turbo lag is gone. Power is instant right off the get go. I've had a couple of Dmax fans ride in my truck and I get the same response...'this thing takes off'. It's not neck jarring power, my truck won't beat any land speed records, but it's doesn't sit there going through an intersection waiting for power to happen. It just goes. Other than the power response gains, it's brought down EGTs and ECTs (while towing).