Proper fluid in the Allison

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Will synthetic fluid make a hurting converter slip easier? I'm taking the tunes off my truck until the trans is built and I'm due for a fluid change.

If your building it soon then don't change it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Hey Mike is there a dex 3 that works better at temps below -20 or should I go to castrol transynd Or the mobil 1 synthetic. And how much would I need to flush all of the dex 3 out

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You will need a synthetic fluid for temps under -20. TES 295 fluid is Dex 3 only in synthetic form. Unless you changed all the rubber in your Allison; Dex 6 will not work.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Ahhh well that clears up alot of fog in my head. Thanks for that Mike. Looks like I need to make a trip down to the S&S shop and get a few more gallons of transynd. Thank you again Mike, it's to bad your so far away I'd shake your hand

hangenouthere

Diesel tech / Hotrodder
Feb 15, 2010
Smithers BC Canada EH!
Hey Mike is there a dex 3 that works better at temps below -20 or should I go to castrol transynd Or the mobil 1 synthetic. And how much would I need to flush all of the dex 3 out

Ya Thats the problem we have here in northern BC & Alberta not to many places in the world that live in a 60' temp variance -30'c to +30'c i think the tes 295 fluid would be better.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
I stopped by a local fleet supply/service center and made an accoun. I walked out with 16qts of wolf's head ATF for $45. Figured I'd let you guys know, I found them while searching baldwin filter distributers.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
There's a fleet supply store near me that sells wolfs head trans fluid, their website states TES 295. Anybody on here use it before?

I'm using it,been in for 7000 miles of beating and towing my boat.so far so good,plus I forgot,,plowing snow,2 winters.

rjrracing

Sep 11, 2014
ohio
Okay so i am a little slow lol.Is it okay to use the Tes 295 in any allison? We have a 06 lbz with the 6 speed just wanting to do a drain and fill.Also it has 145000.no problems yet am i opening a can of worms if i change the fluid with that kinda miles.Bought the truck used about a year ago.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Okay so i am a little slow lol.Is it okay to use the Tes 295 in any allison? We have a 06 lbz with the 6 speed just wanting to do a drain and fill.Also it has 145000.no problems yet am i opening a can of worms if i change the fluid with that kinda miles.Bought the truck used about a year ago.

No problem. Do it.

fitzie

Mar 15, 2015
I'll be tearing back into my trans here soon to swap out my C3 and C2 single sided clutches to some GPZs, along with Mikes pump spring and VB spring kit. Looking to maybe swap fluids from Transynd to Dex 3. Live in Canada so temps do get under -30. Has anyone ever used Petro Canada ATF?

Their D3M claims to exceed Dex 3 "H" specs and meets Allison 389 and C4. It's also stated that it works in cold starts at -36C.

Then they carry their HD Synthetic Blend that is "suitable" for use where TES 295 is recommended.

Sask can get pretty desolate when trying to find dealers of fluids you guys like. I can get PC fluids locally but don't wanna put bad stuff in my built trans.

Last edited: