PPEI Next On The Chopping Block???

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I gave them my real info, but this isn't the first time I've contacted my representatives. Never had any problems in the past, even had a couple people write me a letter back. If you use fake information, they're far more likely to ignore it.

Supporting proposed legislation isn't (yet) a crime. But I do totally understand the concerns with associating yourself with such a sensitive issue, especially today. I'll let you know if it goes badly for me...

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Email only goes to [your] representatives, and I received a nice, personal, simi-canned, response from one rep today.

But at least I know an aid took time to read it, so ..

Excert::
"I have long argued that we must find an appropriate balance to both protect the environment and protect Ohio jobs and our economy. Unfortunately, this balance was often absent in the previous administration. Many Ohioans tell me they have been held back by EPA’s regulatory overreach, which has resulted in increased costs, lost jobs, and uncertainty.*"

-K

Sent from a russian troll farm using Tapatalk

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
Email only goes to [your] representatives, and I received a nice, personal, simi-canned, response from one rep today.

"I have long argued that we must find an appropriate balance to both protect the environment and protect Ohio jobs and our economy. Unfortunately, this balance was often absent in the previous administration. Many Ohioans tell me they have been held back by EPA’s regulatory overreach, which has resulted in increased costs, lost jobs, and uncertainty.*"

-K

I got the same message from one of them. You know the lefty in our state won't respond to this.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

-K

I got the same message from one of them. You know the lefty in our state won't respond to this.

Similar message from Portman. He goes on to state that the prohibition to convert a motor vehicle to a competition vehicle was removed in the EPA's final ruling back in 2016. Which makes it semi-obvious that these shops getting fined for "competition vehicles" were probably still registered/ insured trucks.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I actually got a semi cool response from my rep.

Dear Mr. Russell:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the conversion of automobiles into racecars and the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) interpretation of the Clean Air Act.

As you know, the EPA, as recently as 2015, proposed regulations declaring that the Clean Air Act would prohibit emission modifications to vehicles modified for racing purposes. During the 115th Congress I was a proud cosponsor of the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act, which would have amended the Clean Air Act to allow the modification of a vehicle’s air emission controls if the vehicle is used solely for competition. This bill ultimately failed to move out of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works in the 115th Congress.

Where regulations are necessary, we should ensure that they are common-sense and address real problems. I will continue to work to ensure that regulations do not place an undue burden on Missourians and all Americans.

I appreciate your insight and advocacy on this issue and be assured that should legislation regarding this come before the full Senate for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt) about the important issues facing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website (blunt.senate.gov) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Similar message from Portman. He goes on to state that the prohibition to convert a motor vehicle to a competition vehicle was removed in the EPA's final ruling back in 2016. Which makes it semi-obvious that these shops getting fined for "competition vehicles" were probably still registered/ insured trucks.

But here's the thing: Moreso than any other platform, we have the ability to take a stock vehicle, convert it to competition use with a few parts and tuning, and then switch it back to stock, as simple as that. So that necessitates registration and insurance for street use. Even the guys who can run 10s are still relatively streetable. Its simply a load of crap that they are foisting on us to justify their violating our rights.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
The selling of off-road parts issue is something the reps can get behind without taking too much heat. Job killer, protecting small biz. As where the actual on road vs off road use of those same parts gets more technical.

Ultimately that one falls upon the single vehicle owner, or a shop that might cross a line by knowingly installing such parts. Takes me back to the early 90's when cat delete H-pipes and the downstream O2 sensor emulators were all big topic for Mustangs and such. They tried to shut those sales down at first, but ultimately failed to make any headway policing it.

I know the police in some other countries will make the effort to look under a vehicle if they smell an easy violation. Here in the states, they tend to overlook those individual violations so we get what have here today..

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I think this fits.

cc2bf8f567a96a7220daa0ac5c8a46e1.jpg

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
LOL..

Funny how the bolts on H-pipes would get so rusty at the track nobody could ever get them to come apart from a pair of Flowmasters.

Ah those were the days.. When my favorite exhaust shop could put straight pipes on, so long as you rolled it in off a trailer with open headers hanging only. Then we'd do a burn out for the techs on our way outa town, because our buddy always seemed to leave with the trailer before pipes were finished... :spit:

I did get a reply from OH Senator Brown today. Count him out. His aids can't even read the letter I sent to grasp the topic. Thinks we all have fuel mileage concerns....

--

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal standards for fuel efficiency and carbon emissions in cars and trucks.

Since 2009, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), has worked with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), to jointly regulate fuel economy and carbon emissions from automobiles.

This interagency effort, known as the One National Program, established escalating fuel economy requirements in two phases. Phase 1 established increasing fuel economy standards for new cars manufactured from 2012 to 2016. Phase 2 established requirements from 2017 to 2025, but required the agencies to conduct a review of the program before implementing them. This process was done in conjunction with stakeholders and proved to be a successful model. In 2016, the EPA issued a determination that the Phase 2 regulations were appropriate and would continue as planned.

Early on under the Trump Administration, the EPA and NHTSA announced their intention to revisit the EPA's determination regarding Phase 2. The agencies have indicated that the fuel economy requirement for cars produced in 2025 will likely be reduced from the originally planned 54.5 miles per gallon.

The use of fossil fuels in the transportation sector is by far the largest source of carbon emissions in the U.S., and the vehicles on our roads and highways account for over 80% of all transportation-related carbon emissions. Promoting strong fuel economy standards at home will make American-made cars competitive in the U.S. and around the world as consumers demand more efficient cars and trucks. I will be closely watching any determination issued by EPA and NHTSA, and I hope that they will uphold their commitment to increasing fuel efficiency and reducing carbon emissions.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

--

Screw that. I'm sending him another personal email asking if ok to straight pipe our trucks so long as we run 100% Biodiesel. That should really confuse him....

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Tell him the Biodiesel is clean but the Emissions components can process it and when the components fails it reduces the MPG... :D

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
LOL..

Funny how the bolts on H-pipes would get so rusty at the track nobody could ever get them to come apart from a pair of Flowmasters.

Ah those were the days.. When my favorite exhaust shop could put straight pipes on, so long as you rolled it in off a trailer with open headers hanging only. Then we'd do a burn out for the techs on our way outa town, because our buddy always seemed to leave with the trailer before pipes were finished... :spit:

I did get a reply from OH Senator Brown today. Count him out. His aids can't even read the letter I sent to grasp the topic. Thinks we all have fuel mileage concerns....

--

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal standards for fuel efficiency and carbon emissions in cars and trucks.

Since 2009, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), has worked with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), to jointly regulate fuel economy and carbon emissions from automobiles.

This interagency effort, known as the One National Program, established escalating fuel economy requirements in two phases. Phase 1 established increasing fuel economy standards for new cars manufactured from 2012 to 2016. Phase 2 established requirements from 2017 to 2025, but required the agencies to conduct a review of the program before implementing them. This process was done in conjunction with stakeholders and proved to be a successful model. In 2016, the EPA issued a determination that the Phase 2 regulations were appropriate and would continue as planned.

Early on under the Trump Administration, the EPA and NHTSA announced their intention to revisit the EPA's determination regarding Phase 2. The agencies have indicated that the fuel economy requirement for cars produced in 2025 will likely be reduced from the originally planned 54.5 miles per gallon.

The use of fossil fuels in the transportation sector is by far the largest source of carbon emissions in the U.S., and the vehicles on our roads and highways account for over 80% of all transportation-related carbon emissions. Promoting strong fuel economy standards at home will make American-made cars competitive in the U.S. and around the world as consumers demand more efficient cars and trucks. I will be closely watching any determination issued by EPA and NHTSA, and I hope that they will uphold their commitment to increasing fuel efficiency and reducing carbon emissions.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

--

Screw that. I'm sending him another personal email asking if ok to straight pipe our trucks so long as we run 100% Biodiesel. That should really confuse him....

Same message I got back. I replied, informing him that was NOT the issue at hand. And also stated even though a high percentage of our CO2 output as a nation is from the automotive transportation side, the amount of CO2 produced is much lower now as it was, even with a vast amount MORE vehicles on the road.

But, it'll all fall on deaf ears

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I got this from senator Tammy Baldwin of WI:

Dear Mr. Sankey:

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns that Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations could impact converted racing vehicles. It’s good to hear from you.

I have heard from many people who are involved with racing and are worried about how EPA regulation might prohibit the conversion of emissions systems. Auto racing has a rich history in Wisconsin, and racing converted vehicles is a hobby many Wisconsinites enjoy. While there is a place for emissions standards for vehicles driven on public roads, I don’t believe that the racetrack should be burdened by unwarranted environmental regulations, and I am proud to support legislation that will ensure converted race cars are not regulated.

That’s why I am a cosponsor of the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act (S. S. 2602), introduced by Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) on October 16, 2019. This bipartisan effort will provide clarification from Congress that EPA emissions control regulations will not be imposed on converted racing vehicles used only for competition. I believe this is an important step to provide certainty to Wisconsinites and people across the country who are involved with racing.

S. 2602 is currently awaiting action by the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, and I am hopeful that it will pass the Senate and become law soon.

Once again, thank you for contacting my office. It is important for me to hear from the people of Wisconsin on the issues, thoughts and concerns that matter most to you. If I can be of further assistance, please visit my website at www.baldwin.senate.gov for information on how to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Tammy Baldwin
United States Senator

I got this from Rep Glenn Grothman of WI:

Dear Bradley Sankey:

Thank you for contacting me regarding regulations that affect the conversion of automobiles into racecars. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

Thousands of individuals throughout the country participate in legal motorsports events every year and many manufacturers produce and distribute racing parts in support of the industry. Additionally, more than 15 million people attend racing events in the United States every year, bringing in millions of dollars of revenue to the growing motorsports industry.

In July 2015, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposed a rule under the Clean Air Act that would have made it illegal to convert automobiles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The proposed rule would have also made it illegal to sell any performace-related products or modifications for those cars. In April 2016, the EPA announced it would remove language referring to motorsports vehicles from the proposed rule. No further rule changes that would potentially affect racecars or the motorsports industry are currently expected. I will be sure to keep your concerns in mind should Congress consider any legislation regarding the regulation of motorsports.

I want to thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Representing you in Congress is an honor and a privilege, and I appreciate hearing from you. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about this issue or any others that may come up in the future. To stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, I invite you to sign up for my newsletter by visiting me website at www.grothman.house.gov, and following me on Twitter (@RepGrothman) and Facebook (Congressman Glenn Grothman).

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I feel like lucky. At least Portman understood the topic and responded according.

But he was also the only voice of reason that told Trump best release that 400mil in aid to Ukraine before it bit him in the ass... lol

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Kinda hard to believe we elect these people, isnt it?
Not really. With today's technology anyone can check up on their representative and see how they voted on any bill. Personally, I take the time every couple months to review Representatives I know in Ohio and couple other states.

No excuse if you vote for someone more than once, who doesn't represent your views.